Tailgating Stories

BoomerClone

Oct 27, 2010
North Carolina
Another post made me think about the fun times, and often stupid things done at ISU tailgating. I miss those days! Living 1100 miles away has made it impossible to spend game days at the stadium.

Let’s hear some epic tailgating stories!

I’ll start with one of my favorites.

We always snuck beers into the stadium as undergrads. This usually meant keeping them in you waist band or in your socks. Generally, each of us could get 4-6 beers into the stadium. Well, one particular game I made it through and was going up the east side stairs to the student section. About 3/4 of the way up a can fell out of my sock and proceeded to roll down the entire stairway. I looked back to watch the disaster unfold and see a security person pick up the can and just shake his head at me. I still got the other 5 beers in.

Last edited:

ZRF

Jan 3, 2015
Another post made me think about the fun times, and often stupid things done at ISU tailgating. I miss those days! Living 1100 miles away has made it impossible to spend game days at the stadium.

We always snuck beers into the stadium as undergrads. This usually meant keeping them in you waist band or in your socks. Generally, each of us could get 4-6 beers into the stadium. Well, one particular game I made it through and was going up the east side stairs to the student section. About 3/4 of the way up a can fell out of my sock and proceeded to roll down the entire stairway. I looked back to watch the disaster unfold and see a security person pick up the can and just shake his head at me. I still got the other 5 beers in.

My story is somewhat related. Can't remember the year (early to mid 2000s) but we were playing OU at home and the game was not expected to be competitive. We were all having a great time tailgating so we decided to stay in the lot and *consider* going in if we were still in it at half time. To our surprise were were.

Ended up a buddy's gf (now wife) and myself were the only ones who decided to go into the game. Normally I pulled the tactic of the poster above, loading up beers in my waste, and would act like I pulled something and was hunched over. My buddy's gf was more inebriated and decided she was simply going to keep her alcohol in on off those pull string shoulder bags. I told her they would check it and it wasn't going to work.

Sometimes security got lazy when they were overwhelmed, but we were the only people entering this gate into the stadium and were outnumbered 5-2. Of course they ask to check her bag. She responds in the bitchiest of tones "Uh, you're not checking my bag". They said, "well we can't let you in without checking the bag". I tried to convince her to turn around, go back to the tailgate or at least out of site, and leave her liquor there or conceal it some other way. She then gets REALLY pissy with security, goes back and forth a few more times, then storms through the gate. I'm like 'uh....oh ****!' thinking she's going to get thrown out or arrested but security was literally too stunned to respond. Realizing this I shrug my shoulders, apologize, and follow her in. They never followed us and nothing came of it.

I still laugh thinking about it til this day.

BoomerClone

Oct 27, 2010
North Carolina
My story is somewhat related. Can't remember the year (early to mid 2000s) but we were playing OU at home and the game was not expected to be competitive. We were all having a great time tailgating so we decided to stay in the lot and *consider* going in if we were still in it at half time. To our surprise were were.

Ended up a buddy's gf (now wife) and myself were the only ones who decided to go into the game. Normally I pulled the tactic of the poster above, loading up beers in my waste, and would act like I pulled something and was hunched over. My buddy's gf was more inebriated and decided she was simply going to keep her alcohol in on off those pull string shoulder bags. I told her they would check it and it wasn't going to work.

Sometimes security got lazy when they were overwhelmed, but we were the only people entering this gate into the stadium and were outnumbered 5-2. Of course they ask to check her bag. She responds in the bitchiest of tones "Uh, you're not checking my bag". They said, "well we can't let you in without checking the bag". I tried to convince her to turn around, go back to the tailgate or at least out of site, and leave her liquor there or conceal it some other way. She then gets REALLY pissy with security, goes back and forth a few more times, then storms through the gate. I'm like 'uh....oh ****!' thinking she's going to get thrown out or arrested but security was literally too stunned to respond. Realizing this I shrug my shoulders, apologize, and follow her in. They never followed us and nothing came of it.

I still laugh thinking about it til this day.
I think, but don’t believe you should do this, that as long as you act like you belong there than most people will leave you along.

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
I was at a tailgate with a young lady in 2005, just been hanging around her for 6 months or so. A big storm came rolling through and *they* tried to evacuate the tailgating lots and send people to Hilton. This was when the students were south of the stadium. I wanted to stay and drink beer; she wanted to seek shelter. We ended up walking all the way to Hilton, and basically turned back around as the storm had passed. Not a short walk by any means.

She had just been in the tornado on campus earlier that year, so I kinda understood.

Anywho, I now have two kids with her and have been together close to 20 years now. So I think I made the right call. :p

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013

I had a big Columbia coat back in the late 90's that would hold 12 beers. There was basically no security back then.

BoomerClone

Oct 27, 2010
North Carolina
I was at a tailgate with a young lady in 2005, just been hanging around her for 6 months or so. A big storm came rolling through and *they* tried to evacuate the tailgating lots and send people to Hilton. This was when the students were south of the stadium. I wanted to stay and drink beer; she wanted to seek shelter. We ended up walking all the way to Hilton, and basically turned back around as the storm had passed. Not a short walk by any means.

She had just been in the tornado on campus earlier that year, so I kinda understood.

Anywho, I now have two kids with her and have been together close to 20 years now. So I think I made the right call. :p
Lol. I’m guessing this was the Colorado game? This is another one of my great tailgating stories. We were having a great time and the tornado sirens went off. We were in the south lots right next to the woods. The campus security stopped and told us to evacuate to Hilton. We were like , right let’s head to a place where 70,000 other people are heading that’s like a mile walk away. I think I’m good here. We proceeded to kick the s$hit out of Colorado. Great day

Ms3r4ISU

Me: Mea culpa. Also me: Sine cura sis.
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 7, 2008
Ames

Ha ha.

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
Before they put the fence between the haunted forest and Coldwater, we played boccie in one of the fairways. Will that is the best place to play it. However our game was interrupted by a few college girls asking of it was ok for them to go to the bathroom there. I'm like "why are you asking me?" they proceeded to squat right behind me. I will say it was the biggest colony of beavers I've ever seen at one time. Guy in by a sand trap in distance couldn't take pictures fast enough with his camera phone. The one game my wife decides not to go. Lucky me I guess. It was a game on halloween night. We even went through the haunted house after the game.

Reactions: NWICY

isufrEEk

Apr 14, 2006
Mid 80's. Our house has a tailgate and we are grilling brats. One falls off the grill. A guy, Beav, picks it up and chucks it 20 - 30 yards across the packed lot. Too many people in the way to see where it landed. About 5 minutes later, I see something flying through the air. It's the brat and it hits Beav in the head. It went down in house history as 'Beav and the boomerang brat act'.

ClonesFTW

Nov 13, 2013
Waukee
I would say one of my most memorable tailgates was the multiple delay Iowa game in 2019. The result of the evening was worst-case scenario but the shenanigans during those delays were epic. IMG_0463.jpeg

* Tailgater seen in photo is not ClonesFTW

Last edited:

TitanClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 21, 2008
I would regularly sneak a flask in just in my back pocket (2010-2015). Looked like a wallet. By a pop at the concession stands and keep the buzz going

Reactions: JimmyChitwood

TitanClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 21, 2008

That was against Colorado. First time I'd even been in Hilton.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
More of an "in the game" story.

2018 Farmageddon. I'd snuck a couple of Pulpit Rock tallboys in my coat to responsibly enjoy during the game.

Sometime during the 4th quarter, when things were at their bleakest, we had considered leaving, but gave the Clones one more possession. That ended in the Seonbuchner TD, so we decided we'd stick around. The people next to us had already left prior to that score. To celebrate the score, I fished out my second beer and cracked it open. Shortly thereafter, a security guard had noticed the beer in my hand, came up to me, and confiscated it.

I was pretty bummed out, but our defense was really getting to Skylar Thompson, so I took it in stride. There was hope. All of a sudden, out of the ether, a voice goes "hey - you" and taps me on the shoulder. It was the guy two empty seats to my left. He opens his coat, and I see a ton of Busch Light. He offers me one, and I gladly accept this gift from the beer gods. This man was, if you will, my beer angel.

The next play, Willie Harvey knocks the ball out of Skylar Thompson's hand, into Mike Rose's ever-loving arms, and the rest is history.

Beer Angel, if you're out there, drop a line. I owe you. Cyclone Nation owes you.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron