Tamin Lipsey Commits

OtownClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2021
Why are people questioning his athleticism? Isn't the kid an elite track star? He's got some amazing football highlights. Maybe he can't jump out of the gym, but he seems like a plus athlete to me.
He is a D1 Athlete. We are spoiled right now with Brockington and Hunter, who have elite athleticism. Eli King is a more explosive athlete than Tamin. Both are good athletes and good basketball players though that we should be excited about. People might not have been blown away by Monte Morris' athleticism either. Lipsey looks more athletic than Monte did at a similar age. Give the kids some time to develop. Both will contribute right away, but ideally won't have to try to carry the team.

Clyde4cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 22, 2018
Yes. Play good defense, play smart on offense, and backup Hunter. Lipsey will have the easiest job on the team next season.

It may be difficult for him to beat out Jackson for the backup PG role next year. Tre has been very solid this season as the backup pg in my opinion.

Reactions: Jkclone15 and legi

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
Even after this season's start people don't understand that the whole can be greater that the sum of the parts.
TL is a part that fits like a glove. A team needs to be assembled.

Last edited:

TomTreebow

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 20, 2012
Lipsey will be able to take a year to get up to speed. I don't see many freshman beating out Jackson for backup PG minutes. Lipsey is brought in to be a guy who develops for a few years before being needed for big minutes. He's a local kid that you take, likes the program, and develops over time without getting frustrated and transferring out. Hate to say it but Iowa has maintained some consistency of late by taking the same approach.

Reactions: heitclone

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
It may be difficult for him to beat out Jackson for the backup PG role next year. Tre has been very solid this season as the backup pg in my opinion.
Most likely only one guard spot available for the incoming freshman in the rotation. King will likely be that guy. As sophomores two will probably start depending on the class that follows them. Next year expect Lipsey to get spot duty as a stopper/facilitator while his shoot continues to develop.

• Agree
Reactions: TomTreebow

CyCrazy

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
Lipsey will be just fine at this level. It might take some time. I grew up with the new AD at Ames he has watched him alot. He will be a solid contributor

Reactions: Cyclonepride

WhoISthis

Oct 6, 2010
One - based upon that, I was not impressed.

And, for the person who asked, I watched the whole game.

And, I totally trust and believe in TJ. Great person and coach.

Of course, that is a minimal sample size. Hopefully just a bad night. I had a close friend who coached at ISU, and other places. He said if there is a D1 talent on the floor or field, you should be able to tell immediately. Lipsey did not stand out last night. Sorry - just what I observed.
You, or someone that knows what they’re looking for?

That adage was more true for small school Iowa matchups and before AAU become more important than high school ball. Have you watched any AAU tournaments? When there are several D1 talent, it isn’t like that. What did you think of the Murray’s?

Lipsey looked close to as expected Imo. A good prospect that needs to continue to develop. That said I was reminded that any notion that we moved on from Dunn because we didn’t have room with King and Lipsey was silly Imo. Those two weren’t passing Dunn next year. Although we predictably had openings when keeping guys similar in approach as Bolton, we thought at the time we had a numbers crunch.

Jriddge28

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 19, 2020
I was at the game vs. Ankeny and he was by far the best player on the floor. Being more of a facilitator, he let the game come to him and didn’t force anything. There were a few stretches where Ankeny made it interesting and he made 3 or 4 elite plays you’d expect from a D1 prospect to put the game away.

Reactions: Cyclone06

allfourcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 26, 2012
I was at the game vs. Ankeny and he was by far the best player on the floor. Being more of a facilitator, he let the game come to him and didn’t force anything. There were a few stretches where Ankeny made it interesting and he made 3 or 4 elite plays you’d expect from a D1 prospect to put the game away.

It didn't appear last night that shooting the '3' was very comfortable. Not that it's the priority, but was just wondering if that is normally a weak area?

Jriddge28

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 19, 2020
It didn't appear last night that shooting the '3' was very comfortable. Not that it's the priority, but was just wondering if that is normally a weak area?
I don’t think that’s a big part of his game. You’d hope that similar to Hunter he develops into a reliable threat that will knock it down if he’s open, but not hunting for it.

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
2/9 going into last night from 3 but over 60% overall.

bobprobert24

Nov 28, 2021
He is a D1 Athlete. We are spoiled right now with Brockington and Hunter, who have elite athleticism. Eli King is a more explosive athlete than Tamin. Both are good athletes and good basketball players though that we should be excited about. People might not have been blown away by Monte Morris' athleticism either. Lipsey looks more athletic than Monte did at a similar age. Give the kids some time to develop. Both will contribute right away, but ideally won't have to try to carry the team.

Eli looks like one of those kids that would have gone to Wisconsin in the past. Long, lanky, athletic and can get down the floor pretty quickly. If anyone is interested, his team will be playing Aplington-Parkersburg on December 18th down at Luther. He’s got a sleeve on his leg but looks healthy otherwise. He didn’t play football this fall either.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Since its quasi premium information, the topic of this thread is currently in the Big 12 All Kenpom top 5.

Drew0311

Nov 7, 2019
Norwalk, Iowa
We could suck for the next five years. However, right now I feel excited about basketball for the first time in a long time. Hope we can keep the momentum

This is one of those threads I saw pop up and went looking for what I may have said that might have been stupid at the time. However, I was right to be excited. Good job Drew of 3 years ago.

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
This is one of those threads I saw pop up and went looking for what I may have said that might have been stupid at the time. However, I was right to be excited. Good job Drew of 3 years ago.
no-im-not-gonna-call-you-that-you-can-call-me-drew.gif

• Haha
Reactions: ClonerJams

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron