CYCLNST8

Jul 19, 2008
Urbandale
www.gimikk.com
th

MNCyGuy

Jan 14, 2009
Des Moines
Changing the name will not change the party stigma of the event.

No but I think it will do two things:
1) It will somewhat change how the media covers the event.
2) It will open the door to making further changes without having to deal with quite as much baggage.

I don't think anyone thinks this will be the last, or even the biggest change that the committee votes to implement. If anything, I think its a promising sign that they're moving away from eliminating it entirely.

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
The only way to change it is to end it. This will become a farce in seconds.

I mostly agree. I think the best way to kill the violence is to kill the event. Parades, cherry pies, and science fair projects be damned.

LindenCy

Kevin Dresser Fan Club
Staff member
Mar 19, 2006
Chicago, IL
No but I think it will do two things:
1) It will somewhat change how the media covers the event.
2) It will open the door to making further changes without having to deal with quite as much baggage.

I don't think anyone thinks this will be the last, or even the biggest change that the committee votes to implement. If anything, I think its a promising sign that they're moving away from eliminating it entirely.

I agree with you that it might not be the last big change, but what it does do is make it easier to eliminate the event because it no longer has that long historical name attached to it.

I wish they would keep the name and the parade and anything beyond that do what is best for safety.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
Effectively shutting the campus off from alumni and community as soon as basketball season ends is not a solution either.

Renaming will be a joke, and not because of media coverage, since that's never been the issue.
Renaming counts on the students of the school to be morons that can't put the pieces together and connect this to VEISHEA. You keep the festival, with whatever name you choose, you keep the problem.

Incyte

Apr 12, 2007
The committee needs a PR rep. People are going to think this is the main/only recommendation of the committee which doesn't seem to be the case. Kinda makes them look like a laughingstock.

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
Effectively shutting the campus off from alumni and community as soon as basketball season ends is not a solution either.

Why does cancelling the event mean cutting off alumni and the community?

BloodyBuddy

Mar 13, 2012
Name it family fun weekend, the partiers will flock to Ames for that. This is the right first step. It takes away the party stigma and nostalgia, that was the biggest draw for those people. They want to be part of something they have heard stories about the epic party's. Family fun weekend doesn't make me want to drink a beer.

Last edited:

MNCyGuy

Jan 14, 2009
Des Moines
Renaming will be a joke, and not because of media coverage, since that's never been the issue.
Renaming counts on the students of the school to be morons that can't put the pieces together and connect this to VEISHEA. You keep the festival, with whatever name you choose, you keep the problem.

I'm not on the committee, so obviously I don't know, but I think you're going to see basically all the student-only/night time activities go away, in conjunction with the name change. So you lose the rallying cry of "VEISHEA!!!!!" and you lose any extra draw for additional drunk bodies on campus. It just becomes another nice spring weekend. Nobody is going to call up their HS buddies from UNI and say "hey you definitely have to come down for ISU Spring Showcase weekend. We can get up early on Saturday for a parade and then take in a production of South Pacific."

But I've seen your posts on this subject, and I think I know what you'll say: That still gives students a "traditional" weekend to target for parties. But honestly, even if you kill it, that is still going to happen. That last April weekend before dead week is ALWAYS going to be a problem weekend for parties. Unofficial VEISHEA isn't going to go away just because the university doesn't recognize it, so let's get smarter about it and avoid punishing the innocent where possible. Erik, I think you're a reasonable enough and smart guy but you are just wrong on this matter.

MNCyGuy

Jan 14, 2009
Des Moines
Why does cancelling the event mean cutting off alumni and the community?

shutting off wasn't the right term, but you are basically eliminating the one big non-athletics thing the university makes a point to make everyone feel invited to, should they eliminate it entirely. That seems needless and short-sighted.

QCCyclone

Feb 10, 2013
Looks like I may be in the minority, but I think changing the name is a good idea. Just hearing the word VEISHEA makes me want to crack a beer, and I think it does have a certain stigma to it. We'll have to wait and see what happens next year.