Tax Software

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014
Opinions on tax prep sites for 2023? I’ve got a simple return with a single W2, some kids, some car registrations, etc.

I have been using TurboTax but they want like 80 bucks. Evidently Intuit (TurboTax) owns Cash App Tax which if free if you download the cash app. I’ve also used Tax Act in the past.

JEFF420

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 6, 2014
Michigan
we have simple taxes as well. i have used tax hawk for 5 years now. easy to use website.... federal file is free. state is 14.99$. and i get the $20 audit protection (i know im probably wasting money but it lets me sleep easier)

https://www.taxhawk.com/

JK4ISU

Dec 5, 2022
Ames
Opinions on tax prep sites for 2023? I’ve got a simple return with a single W2, some kids, some car registrations, etc.

I have been using TurboTax but they want like 80 bucks. Evidently Intuit (TurboTax) owns Cash App Tax which if free if you download the cash app. I’ve also used Tax Act in the past.
I got TurboTax for $45 at Costco. You have to pay to e-file state, but you could mail it in and avoid the fee. I’ve used it for many years, so I’ll continue until the IRS builds their own.

Pat

Oct 20, 2011
Like I say, I’ve used freetax for 2 or 3 years now and have no complaints, my returns are pretty simple though.

I have used it for at least 3 years, my returns are not super-straightforward, and I have no complaints about it. The help is better on other sites, but not worth paying extra if you don’t need to.

• Agree
Reactions: CysLoveChild

scottwv

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 18, 2011
Melrose Iowa
I use HR block deluxe. $40
Digital download on Amazon. 5 free federal e files. Can also download a one free state program (but no free state efile).

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
Same boat here. Been using TurboTax for years. We’ve never exceeded the standard deduction, yet TurboTax goes through it all to make our taxes look way more complicated than they actually are.

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014
I had filled out TurboTax prior and went through Tax Act just now to see how they lined up. Same numbers for federal and state. TurboTax was 80 bucks and TaxAct was 15. TaxAct seemed to be easier than when I tried them a number of years ago. Would recommend for a simple return. Thanks for the suggestions.

The only thing that threw me off was that under state, they only asked about preschool expenses for my 4 year old. The 4 year old gets free preschool through the state but I pay for my two year old. Is there a deduction or credit there @isufbcurt? Wife doesn't work, so I think not since her income is 0.

GBlade

Mar 9, 2014

If you're over the aig you can always use the fillable forms to e-file for free. A good option if you have a simple form.

Dale

Mar 5, 2010
Chicagoland
I have used it for at least 3 years, my returns are not super-straightforward, and I have no complaints about it. The help is better on other sites, but not worth paying extra if you don’t need to.
Ditto -- I've used FreeTaxUSA since, apparently, the 2017 tax year. My taxes have self-employment, backdoor Roths, and a couple other slightly unusual aspects, and I haven't had any issues. If you can do taxes fairly independently, it's nice, cheap software.

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006

If you're over the aig you can always use the fillable forms to e-file for free. A good option if you have a simple form.

Thanks for this. I’ll give this a try this year for federal. Going to need to figure something out for state then. But nothing really changed since last year except the numbers. So I think I should be able to use those as a guide if necessary.

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
Based on CF users, I thought I'd try out FreeTaxUSA. I'm still waiting on a few investment docs but so far TurboTax and FreeTaxUSA give me the exact same amount for both federal and state. I noted two weird things on FreeTax

1. It didn't ask my anything about what I paid in car registration fees in Iowa. Why?
2. Turbo Tax check marked the box "2022 Iowa tax return was filed under married filing separately on combined return"(not federal), which I didn't even know until I looked at last years return. FreeTax made no mention of this.

Bader

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 25, 2007
Ankeny
Based on CF users, I thought I'd try out FreeTaxUSA. I'm still waiting on a few investment docs but so far TurboTax and FreeTaxUSA give me the exact same amount for both federal and state. I noted two weird things on FreeTax

1. It didn't ask my anything about what I paid in car registration fees in Iowa. Why?
2. Turbo Tax check marked the box "2022 Iowa tax return was filed under married filing separately on combined return"(not federal), which I didn't even know until I looked at last years return. FreeTax made no mention of this.
  1. It goes under Deductions > Taxes Paid > Personal Property Tax. I get annoyed every year I have to go get my registration receipts and look up how to find the deductible portion.
  2. Is there a box on an Iowa 1040 that references your prior year filing choice?