Tax Software

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
  1. It goes under Deductions > Taxes Paid > Personal Property Tax. I get annoyed every year I have to go get my registration receipts and look up how to find the deductible portion.
  2. Is there a box on an Iowa 1040 that references your prior year filing choice?
1. It sounds like maybe this changed. I'm not close on itemizing federally.
  • 2023 Iowa will no longer have its own standard or itemized deductions, incorporating the federal standard or itemized deduction instead.
  • All taxpayers must now use the same filing status on their Iowa return as their federal return.
  • Married taxpayers no longer have the option to file separately on a combined return.
2. Yes

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
Here's my review of TurboTax. Did my son's simple 2 W-2 return last year (2022). He never got his refund. Of course he didn't inform me until last week. Yesterday we were both off and I got him to call the IRS. He was told it was never filed. According to my account it was approved 2/19/23. Have spent the past 2 days trying to reach a live voice with TurboTax. Their system runs you through then hangs up. Never again.

KidSilverhair

Dec 18, 2010
Rapids of the Cedar
www.kegofglory.blogspot.com
1. It sounds like maybe this changed. I'm not close on itemizing federally.
  • 2023 Iowa will no longer have its own standard or itemized deductions, incorporating the federal standard or itemized deduction instead.
  • All taxpayers must now use the same filing status on their Iowa return as their federal return.
  • Married taxpayers no longer have the option to file separately on a combined return.
2. Yes
What? Is this true? I’ve always been able to get a far better deal with married filing separately, and then itemizing my state return.

You’re telling me I can’t do that anymore? G*dammit.

• Agree
Reactions: aauummm

BACyclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2011
Reinbeck, IA
Opinions on tax prep sites for 2023? I’ve got a simple return with a single W2, some kids, some car registrations, etc.

I have been using TurboTax but they want like 80 bucks. Evidently Intuit (TurboTax) owns Cash App Tax which if free if you download the cash app. I’ve also used Tax Act in the past.

I used to use TurboTax but switched to H&R Block software several years ago and I'm much happier with it. Crazy easy to use.

Reactions: mapnerd and Turn2

KidSilverhair

Dec 18, 2010
Rapids of the Cedar
www.kegofglory.blogspot.com
So, for Iowa income taxes …

* no more “married filing separately on the same form”
* no more itemized deductions if you don’t itemize on your federal return; unless Iowa improves its standard deduction by a lot, this is bad for me
* no more deducting of federal taxes paid

Even though the state isn’t going to tax my retirement pension at all, I’m afraid of what this is going to do to my return this year. Man, this blows. Nice way to tell us “we’re cutting your income tax rates, aren’t we being generous!” while back-dooring a lot of crap like this to claw some of that back.

• Winner
Reactions: isufbcurt

JK4ISU

Dec 5, 2022
Ames

* no more itemized deductions if you don’t itemize on your federal return; unless Iowa improves its standard deduction by a lot, this is bad for me

Even though the state isn’t going to tax my retirement pension at all, I’m afraid of what this is going to do to my return this year. Man, this blows. Nice way to tell us “we’re cutting your income tax rates, aren’t we being generous!” while back-dooring a lot of crap like this to claw some of that back.
These changes are amazing to me because there was no discussion of them. I’m pretty attuned to tax stuff and I don’t remember any debate on these changes. I do remember about thirty or forty years ago a proposal to eliminate the deductibility of federal taxes on the state return and people went ballistic. It seems that now that Republicans have control of everything, they just ram the things the think tanks tell them to do through without debate.

MuskieCy

Nov 4, 2006
FYI,....the complete changes in the Iowa tax code has required a massive rebuilding of the Iowa 1040.

Erase all of what you used to think of an Iowa return. The state is behind in providing necessary info for the software providers. It is a sh!t show right now.

Good luck and enjoy.

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
In 2022, TurboTax selected file separate but on a combined return for Iowa.

My wife and I made around $15k more in federal income in 2023.

The taxes we are going to pay to Iowa for 2023, went up by $150. We are now forced into filing jointly.

I'm not a mathematician, but I believe that's a $1,300 savings.

• Winner

Trice

Apr 1, 2010

FYI,....the complete changes in the Iowa tax code has required a massive rebuilding of the Iowa 1040.

Erase all of what you used to think of an Iowa return. The state is behind in providing necessary info for the software providers. It is a sh!t show right now.

Good luck and enjoy.

Like others, I'm surprised to learn of some of these changes. But the fact that the state is playing a shell game with taxes and botching the rollout of massive changes? That isn't a surprise in the slightest.

• Winner

mapnerd

Aug 17, 2006
Ames
I used to use TurboTax but switched to H&R Block software several years ago and I'm much happier with it. Crazy easy to use.
I did the same thing about 3-4 years ago. TurboTax just got insanely expensive. H&R Block has been good to me.

• Agree
Reactions: BACyclone

Cyghhh

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 18, 2022
I did the same thing about 3-4 years ago. TurboTax just got insanely expensive. H&R Block has been good to me.
I've used TurboTax for years, because I have quite a few investment portfolios and they have good integration for that. Does H&R allow you to connect your portfolios as well? Maybe I'll make the switch this year.

mapnerd

Aug 17, 2006
Ames
I've used TurboTax for years, because I have quite a few investment portfolios and they have good integration for that. Does H&R allow you to connect your portfolios as well? Maybe I'll make the switch this year.
I don't know about that, unfortunately.

JEFF420

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 6, 2014
Michigan
Here's my review of TurboTax. Did my son's simple 2 W-2 return last year (2022). He never got his refund. Of course he didn't inform me until last week. Yesterday we were both off and I got him to call the IRS. He was told it was never filed. According to my account it was approved 2/19/23. Have spent the past 2 days trying to reach a live voice with TurboTax. Their system runs you through then hangs up. Never again.

he didn't receive emails telling you that feds received return? and later an email saying it was accepted?

Reactions: Tailg8er

kevdiv48

Apr 21, 2011
Houston
converted to Freetaxusa last year from friend's suggestion. absolutely the way to go. had done H&R block for a few years prior and TurboTax before the tax.

Reactions: gj524

mkadl

Mar 17, 2006
Cornfield
Opinions on tax prep sites for 2023? I’ve got a simple return with a single W2, some kids, some car registrations, etc.

I have been using TurboTax but they want like 80 bucks. Evidently Intuit (TurboTax) owns Cash App Tax which if free if you download the cash app. I’ve also used Tax Act in the past.
This is my third year with HR block. Online. After 3 decades I feel really comfortable/confident doing it my self. Standard deduction, some IRA to Roth IRA confusion every year because I just started converting 3 years ago. But after looking at last years entries it come back in a day or two. I used tax act for 6-7 yearsr then they changed the look and feel and I really got confused. Entered everything on HR block and it came out correct, then I paid and filed. Never looked back. Before Tax Act I used a software that was based out of Cedar Rapids, Parson Technology? Dont remember what the software was called. i looked it up it was tax edge that I used in the early 90s.

Last edited: