TCU Forfeiting tonight & Saturday in Hilton

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
Got an email from the cheer coach late yesterday afternoon, they're not able to reschedule because all other home game halftimes (men and women) are booked. Shocking to me they can't just tell one of the Feb acts sorry, they had an old folks home come for one game FFS (that halftime was one of my favorites, but I'm sure an act like that would understand a cancellation in this circumstance).

They mentioned how this is their one big winter fundraiser for their end of season trip to a major comp, so asked if we'd be willing to let them keep our $50 for a donation. We did, feel terrible for them. I suggested keeping the practice scheduled for Friday night (or even just a "hang out with the cheerleaders at Hilton for a couple hours Saturday") - I know my daughter would still enjoy that even with no crowd, but highly unlikely.
If they had a practice scheduled and they are asking to keep the $50 they should absolutely still do that for those that want to attend. It's still at least some kind of experience.

• Agree
Reactions: Tailg8er

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
So the cheer coach is telling all the families, hey, we're sorry we had to cancel the game due to circumstances beyond our control, but would you mind if we still keep your $50 anyway? Are you kidding me??? This is not the Iowa State way and it's certainly not the Jamie Pollard way.

This unfortunate cancellation gives the athletic department an opportunity to go above and beyond, to exceed expectations, to make young kids and their families Cyclone fans for life. They need to suck it up and figure out a way to make those kids and their parents happy. It's not that hard.

It's not their fault TCU can't put a team together. I don't blame them at all for asking to keep a donation. I'd imagine this is a pretty major fundraiser and I imagine it's money that's been accounted for in their budget.

Pope

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 7, 2015
How hard would it be for the cheer squad to still conduct the practice session as scheduled and then allow 10 or so kids to hang out with the cheer squad along the baseline during each of the remaining home games?

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
This is still incredibly bizarre to me. They played 10 girls in their game 4 days ago. So it can't all be injury. If it's sickness do you really host open tryouts? You'd think with the week being canceled you'd assume by your next game 10 days away you'd have enough healthy bodies. None of it makes any sense.

Pope

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 7, 2015
It's not their fault TCU can't put a team together. I don't blame them at all for asking to keep a donation. I'd imagine this is a pretty major fundraiser and I imagine it's money that's been accounted for in their budget.

Of course it's not their fault, but they're expecting the families to just donate their money? So what if these kids are crushed, right? That's a heck of an attitude.

As I said, unfortunate events like this provide the athletic department with an opportunity to exceed expectations and make Cyclone fans for life. Or they can just punt. As they say, adversity doesn't build character, it reveals character.

mwwbbfan

Jun 1, 2010
Iowa City, IA
This is still incredibly bizarre to me. They played 10 girls in their game 4 days ago. So it can't all be injury. If it's sickness do you really host open tryouts? You'd think with the week being canceled you'd assume by your next game 10 days away you'd have enough healthy bodies. None of it makes any sense.

Conspiracy theory - TCU moved up two spots in the NET by not playing and ISU dropped two with the loss. TCU better off for metrics to not play than lose.

Reactions: WartburgClone

ISULibrarian

Apr 17, 2010
You would think academically ineligible would have been known at the end of last semester.
Not necessarily. It depends on when grades were due, and it could be that certain players were working with specific instructors to try and raise their grade over the break. I had students scrounging for every available point over winter break, claiming that they had turned certain things in, etc, probably in hopes of being eligible in the spring or trying to avoid losing a scholarship. Not saying that is what happened with TCU, but there is some flexibility up until the actual start of the semester.

WartburgClone

Mar 14, 2022
Conspiracy theory - TCU moved up two spots in the NET by not playing and ISU dropped two with the loss. TCU better off for metrics to not play than lose.
That's what I'm saying: it's about preservation of postseason opportunities.

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
Not necessarily. It depends on when grades were due, and it could be that certain players were working with specific instructors to try and raise their grade over the break. I had students scrounging for every available point over winter break, claiming that they had turned certain things in, etc, probably in hopes of being eligible in the spring or trying to avoid losing a scholarship. Not saying that is what happened with TCU, but there is some flexibility up until the actual start of the semester.

I suspect this is the case. They have a new head coach who previously only coached at a lower level and you wonder if the staff didn't have everything locked down in their first semester on the job.

The injuries allow them to say that was the reason without having to address the other right now. But the open tryouts seem to indicate they need bodies for the long haul.

• Agree
Reactions: ISULibrarian

WartburgClone

Mar 14, 2022
They are currently scheduled to play UCF next Tuesday. If it gets played we'll see if half their dressed players are walk-ons and volleyball players or if their "injured" players magically healed up in time to play against the worst team in the league.

savepolarbears

Dec 4, 2013
How hard would it be for the cheer squad to still conduct the practice session as scheduled and then allow 10 or so kids to hang out with the cheer squad along the baseline during each of the remaining home games?
Only 2 seniors to honor this year? How about putting the cheer event in front of them?

Reactions: riceville98

riceville98

Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 17, 2008
Iowa
The umbrella lady is going to be new. I think. But yeah I agree with you FM Acro nails it every yr.
FM does the same routine twice every year and it for some reason never gets old with me. The end of the routine is unbelievable!!

Reactions: NWICY

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
Got an email from the cheer coach late yesterday afternoon, they're not able to reschedule because all other home game halftimes (men and women) are booked. Shocking to me they can't just tell one of the Feb acts sorry, they had an old folks home come for one game FFS (that halftime was one of my favorites, but I'm sure an act like that would understand a cancellation in this circumstance).

They mentioned how this is their one big winter fundraiser for their end of season trip to a major comp, so asked if we'd be willing to let them keep our $50 for a donation. We did, feel terrible for them. I suggested keeping the practice scheduled for Friday night (or even just a "hang out with the cheerleaders at Hilton for a couple hours Saturday") - I know my daughter would still enjoy that even with no crowd, but highly unlikely.

Keeping Friday night was my thought too, though I imagine it wouldn't work for everybody.