NSCR: Tell me about racing

cyclone4L

Jun 30, 2013
Hey @Connor_Ferguson!
Enjoyed listening to the podcast with you and Chris.I have never watched a full race before. Whenever I try to sit down and watch a race, I have no clue what I am watching and change the channel.

I would love to get into the sport. What is the best way to watch and learn about racing? Do you guys ever livestream the races?

Would love to know

I@ST1

Dec 15, 2020
All I can say is once you get into it - it’s addicting.

If you aren’t opposed to gambling or fantasy drafts... I would suggest you make a small bet ($5 or $10) on a well known driver/create a fantasy lineup on DraftKing and just watch/follow on Sunday. This will help with engagement.

You can also watch on Thursday night.. shorter races to finalize the starting positions for Sunday.

Reactions: cyclone4L

dirtyninety

Oct 6, 2012
Well daytona is this weekend.... Pick a couple drivers and cheer for them. Check out how they move around. Eat and drink maybe a nap during the middle of the race.

Dirt racing is best actually going to a race.

The nap thing is the key for NASCAR in February and March....drink enough scotch so you numb enough to not go berserk when you hear "Boogity, boogity, boogity boyz!!!" .....start the race.....watch until the first wreck....click the remote over to see if female sand vollyball is on....finish the pizza from last night.....siesta.....wake up and see the finish.

tman24

Feb 6, 2008
I also like watching truck and xfinity. Shorter races and more aggressive young drivers. If you want someone to cheer for. Check out Brett Moffitt. He's from Clive and will be getting to the cup series soon, did well in trucks left year.

Taz4President

Oct 3, 2013
Austin TX
Hey @Connor_Ferguson!
Enjoyed listening to the podcast with you and Chris.I have never watched a full race before. Whenever I try to sit down and watch a race, I have no clue what I am watching and change the channel.

I would love to get into the sport. What is the best way to watch and learn about racing? Do you guys ever livestream the races?

Would love to know
I grew up in Knoxville (sprint car capital of the world!) :p Open wheel, dirt tracks are a lot of fun. Races are short so drivers have to push hard. Not a lot of pit/in-race car adjustments like in NASCAR. When the Nationals came to town it was like the Indy 500!

Reactions: aauummm

CivEFootball

Sep 16, 2010
This! F1 is where the money is at!!! There is a Netflix Series out there called Drive to Survive. Good intro based on prior years into sport, "teams", pit bosses("head coaches), the drivers (players). Also a very good time to get into F1 as large changes (regulation changes think similar to targeting rules and how that changed the NFL-play styles) are coming to F1. The GOAT of F1 is still driving. Shorter Races as well with no commercials/side by side views.

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
Just watch Talladega Nights. It'll teach you everything you need to know about NASCAR.

motorcy90

Aug 12, 2018
Iowa
sports car racing like 12 hrs of Sebring, Rolex 24 at Daytona, is great and provides much more action going on all over the track compared to the likes of F1 (follow the leader) or most Nascar (pack) races. the multiple classes part could be a bit challenging to pick up on for a beginner but gives you more then a few choices for a race weekend. this years Daytona 24 came down to the last 6 min of the race the 2 lead cars overall were within a sec of each other until the 2nd place car blew a tire. there are a few shorter races through out the year as well if you don't want to jump in on the long ones during a weekend.

Reactions: ianoconnor

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
They turn left in America because owner of the first horse track in America wanted it to be opposite of England.

Last edited:

Bipolarcy

Oct 27, 2008
Hey @Connor_Ferguson!

Would love to know

What's to learn? Cars go round in circles and the one to do it the fastest wins.