NSCR: Tell me about racing

Sousaclone

Apr 29, 2006
North of Seattle

I've gotten into more this past year, but at times F1 can be really boring. For every crazy 3 wheeled finish at Silverstone and the craziness of the George Russell driving for Mercedes at Abu Dhabi there are more than a couple that are just parades.

That said, if you want to see social media done correctly for a racing team, check out the Mercedes F1 team on youtube. They do a really good job explaining what's going on and essentially do a 10 minute review of what happened after every race with one of their higher ups. Very informative.

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
I've gotten into more this past year, but at times F1 can be really boring. For every crazy 3 wheeled finish at Silverstone and the craziness of the George Russell driving for Mercedes at Abu Dhabi there are more than a couple that are just parades.

That said, if you want to see social media done correctly for a racing team, check out the Mercedes F1 team on youtube. They do a really good job explaining what's going on and essentially do a 10 minute review of what happened after every race with one of their higher ups. Very informative.
A lot comes down to the tracks, unfortunately some of them just aren’t laid out for exciting racing.

CtownCyclone

Really Strong Cardinals
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 20, 2010
Where they love the governor
Ive done the 2 or 3 lap ride along at Newton. I cant imagine how crazy Talladega would be.

They had an option for a ride-along. I was driving myself. It took a couple laps to feel comfortable. Even at 150, the pro drivers who were driving the ride-along cars would blow by me like I was going at granny speed.

Reactions: cmjh10

TitanClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 21, 2008
the Formula 1 sub reddit would be a good place too start, lot's extremely avid fans on there. Also F1 is a lot more fun to watch than Nascar IMO.

cmjh10

Dec 5, 2012
Buffalo Center
They had an option for a ride-along. I was driving myself. It took a couple laps to feel comfortable. Even at 150, the pro drivers who were driving the ride-along cars would blow by me like I was going at granny speed.

My dad and his siblings got Grandpa the driving experience. Took him a few laps, but he loved it. Even wrecked a guy.

mramseyISU

Nov 8, 2006
Waterloo, IA

Open wheel racing and sports car racing is like that. They aerodynamics of the cars is way different than a stock car. You can take a corner like Eau Rogue in Belgium without lift off the loud pedal but when you get into dirty air behind another car you lose all your aerodynamics. That's why on most of those tracks you only see passes on 2 or 3 corners. The other thing when you're talking about F1 is the stupid amount of money involved with those cars. A years worth of engines is like $30 million where as a whole Indycar team is like $3 million for a year.

When open wheel is great it's absolutely fantastic, when it's not great it's like watching paint dry.

ghettocowboy4cy

Oct 27, 2013
Open wheel racing and sports car racing is like that. They aerodynamics of the cars is way different than a stock car. You can take a corner like Eau Rogue in Belgium without lift off the loud pedal but when you get into dirty air behind another car you lose all your aerodynamics. That's why on most of those tracks you only see passes on 2 or 3 corners. The other thing when you're talking about F1 is the stupid amount of money involved with those cars. A years worth of engines is like $30 million where as a whole Indycar team is like $3 million for a year.

When open wheel is great it's absolutely fantastic, when it's not great it's like watching paint dry.

Robin Miller is that you?

• Haha
Reactions: mramseyISU

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
As someone stated earlier, this weekend is the Daytona 500.
Daytona and Talladega are both considered super speedways so those races are a bit different. The aerodynamic packages on the cars makes it so cars in a direct line together will go faster than a car by itself. This leads to what is called pack racing and eventually what is called "The Big One" because when one vehicle wrecks it collects a whole lot of cars.
Some drivers will spend the majority of the race near the back of the pack just to avoid the big one. You can do that at a superspeedway because if you get a group together to run in a single file line they can pick up a tremendous amount of momentum and move right to the front.

Reactions: I@ST1

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
The nap thing is the key for NASCAR in February and March....drink enough scotch so you numb enough to not go berserk when you hear "Boogity, boogity, boogity boyz!!!" .....start the race.....watch until the first wreck....click the remote over to see if female sand vollyball is on....finish the pizza from last night.....siesta.....wake up and see the finish.
Fortunately Waltrip retired from broadcasting so no more "Boogity, boogity, boogity boyz!!!"