Texas A&M tops in revenue at almost $200 mil

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
It's crazy to see how revenues have escalated. It hasn't been that long ago (10ish years) that ISU's revenues we're more in the $30 million range.

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
Seems to me that ISU doesn't want for much: market-value coaches' salaries, functional and competitive facilities for most sports...what do these schools at $100 mil and above do with all that money?

Mr Janny

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
Seems to me that ISU doesn't want for much: market-value coaches' salaries, functional and competitive facilities for most sports...what do these schools at $100 mil and above do with all that money?

A lot of it goes to general opulence, but money paid to assistant coaches is another big difference. For example, ISU pays our assistant football coaches a total of about $3 million per year. At Alabama, they pay them about $18 million. That's a pretty big gap, and starts to explain where that extra money goes.

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
AD accounting practices have always been open for interpretation. I wonder how far out of bounds aTm is willing to go to with their books to make sure that their numbers come in higher than Texas.
Or how far out of bounds Texas is willing to go also?

CYphyllis

Jun 22, 2010
There is plenty of money for Texas, T$M, etc to pay players. Not so much for KSU, Toledo, ISU, Bowling Green, etc. Don't forget, this money also has to cover all the non-revenue sports, and of course, if you are paying FB players, you have to pay them. It is just a bad idea.

How could they ever possibly find a fair wage pool in that dainty pile of $78 million.

Mr Janny

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
There is plenty of money for Texas, T$M, etc to pay players. Not so much for KSU, Toledo, ISU, Bowling Green, etc. Don't forget, this money also has to cover all the non-revenue sports, and of course, if you are paying FB players, you have to pay them. It is just a bad idea.

This will be an unpopular opinion, but I wouldn't shed a tear if they dropped all non-revenue sports.

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
How could they ever possibly find a fair wage pool in that dainty pile of $78 million.

And how much of that is left at the end of the year? I think ISU's budget is in the black at this point in time, but it ran in the red for a lot of years. Then what is fair? Should the athletes all make $25K a year? What about walkons? Don't they deserve to be paid more than guys that already get scholarships? What happens when Alabama decides to pay players $65K? What happens to recruiting for non-power 5 schools, or power 5 schools without a lot of money? You can't hire athletes if you don't have money...

Just a whole giant can of bad that can happen if schools start paying athletes, and none of it would be good for the future of ISU sports.