Texas at ISU

klamath632

Nov 19, 2011
If they are going to try to sell us on the value of cyclones.tv, they have to improve the camera work and overall quality of these broadcasts. I couldn't even follow most of the action tonight because the camera was zoomed in so far that it was having to pan all over the place to try to keep the ball on screen. I'm hoping these broadcasts continue to get better.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
If they are going to try to sell us on the value of cyclones.tv, they have to improve the camera work and overall quality of these broadcasts. I couldn't even follow most of the action tonight because the camera was zoomed in so far that it was having to pan all over the place to try to keep the ball on screen. I'm hoping these broadcasts continue to get better.

True. They've usually been better, I thought. Tonight's cameraman may or may not have watched volleyball before.

Still, good broadcast, fantastic team, great win!

Dryburn

Apr 3, 2006
Somewhere in the U.S.
At least some things went well for ISU this weekend! I hope this gets their RPI high enough to get home court to start.

Wish they had not made it so close though.......I'm getting too old for this much tension!

Sobchakcyclone

Feb 8, 2010
Bowling Alley
Except for the loss of feed to start the 3rd set, it seemed okay to me. Great win for our program to break their streak of conference wins. We needed to do that. I hope we can host in the tourney now. Great win girls!!!

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Too busy watching the senior stuff to post over here right after the win but this is pretty big. We are on quite a roll and hope we get to host and not end up in Minneapolis or Omaha. Tonight makes a great statement for hosting (I hope).

heyguy85

Nov 9, 2007
Iowa
We are lucky to have such a great coach. Keep her around J.P. (And the boosters that can afford it.)

swarthmoreCY

Aug 9, 2008
Here nor there
They seem to laugh and/or smile a lot more in VB, even when the other team gets the point.

So, what makes UT so much better than other teams? The girls look the same physically. Do they have better control/placement in hitting the ball?

Last edited:

Sobchakcyclone

Feb 8, 2010
Bowling Alley
Too busy watching the senior stuff to post over here right after the win but this is pretty big. We are on quite a roll and hope we get to host and not end up in Minneapolis or Omaha. Tonight makes a great statement for hosting (I hope).

It was great that they showed the seniors getting their jerseys, with their families. They haven't always done that. Greatly appreciated. We'll play hard where ever we go, let's get it done regardless.

I forget to mention Hahn too often, in coach's press conference, she mentioned her. She is just great. She might be the unsung hero of this team. She handles huge shots right at her, over and over. Great night.

Last edited:

mitten1975

Oct 27, 2012
So, what makes UT so much better than other teams? The girls look the same physically. Do they have better control/placement in hitting the ball?
They have some very good outside hitters, and are well-coached. They made a switch to win that fourth set which threw off our team before they could adjust and moved the ball to the inside hitters. They also had great servers I thought. I don't think they got many aces but it was tough to recover for a good blast off many of their serves.

mitten1975

Oct 27, 2012
Generally I am very happy they won. It was very tense. Also they played great defense and recovered at times when I thought we had finished them. About all we can do from now on out is try to get better. It will be tough to replace our seniors next year.

swarthmoreCY

Aug 9, 2008
Here nor there
They have some very good outside hitters, and are well-coached. They made a switch to win that fourth set which threw off our team before they could adjust and moved the ball to the inside hitters. They also had great servers I thought. I don't think they got many aces but it was tough to recover for a good blast off many of their serves.
So it is pretty much all about skill with the ball? With no context, it seems like it often comes down to guessing correctly where the other team is going and the luck of the bounce.

Probably the oddest things I noticed watching for the first time: the size differential of the women in the different jersey's compared to the others, and the players reactions. For how close and intense the game was, they looked happy.

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
They seem to laugh and/or smile a lot more in VB, even when the other team gets the point.

No, the girls are not the same physically. CJL would have loved to have signed Eckerman (Waterloo) who left the state to play for Texas. In a vertical jump contest, Texas' frontline hitters would dominate us. In fact, I doubt that there is a single player on the ISU squad that Texas would have even considered offering a schollie to.
The credit goes to CJL and her staff to put together a team like this.

cy4prez7

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2010
Des Moines
Before I came to Iowa State and joined the Pep Band I never thought I would enjoy volleyball. This year has been great and it's one of the more exciting sports to watch!

Random Stat: In Iowa State's 10 game win streak, they are 30-4 in sets with two of the losses tonight! Bodes well for tournament seeding!

TCG

Mar 9, 2011
So it is pretty much all about skill with the ball? With no context, it seems like it often comes down to guessing correctly where the other team is going and the luck of the bounce.

Probably the oddest things I noticed watching for the first time: the size differential of the women in the different jersey's compared to the others, and the players reactions. For how close and intense the game was, they looked happy.

Awesome win first off. Texas has freaks for athletes, Eckerman and Webster can probably dunk a basketball. When they hit, they usually can hit over the block (like ours); when you get up that high, you basically have 90% chance of getting a kill(unless Hahn digs it or they hit out). The size question; Hahn is 5'6 because she just plays defense and never goes to the net to attack, she wouldn't be as good if she was 6'0 and wasn't as flexible. Volleyball is like any other sport, its a chess match; you can't let the highs be too high and the lows be too low because the momentum can switch in a second.

mitten1975

Oct 27, 2012
Coach CJL has them playing loose. I think they need to be loosely intense, and can't get too tense of they loose reaction time. There is plenty of strategy involved. The more scouting you can do on the other team to see what they are doing and where they are going will help your blockers to react. Coach CJL didn't want replays of the games put up this year because other teams could watch the games and prepare better for our team. I can see why she does that even though I had to miss games that I could have otherwise seen. I think it is worth the pain.

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
What seed are we looking at? Would love to see a final four run.