Texas & Oklahoma leaving in 2024, period.

CyCrazy

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
It’s getting to the point where some type of reset needs to happen. It’s unfortunate the NCAA lost its power and the conferences/networks hold all the cards now.

The best option at this point might be football conferences, men’s basketball conferences, then more regional conferences for the rest of the sports. Maybe some schools have all three in one, or some have all three in different conferences. Maybe because of some sports there are four or five affiliations.

USC/UCLA for example, it doesn’t make sense to send all their non profitable sports out to B1G country, Oklahoma might still be in the Big12 for wrestling, and so on.

its stupid but it won't change, the train is going full speed to ultimately a **** show. It sucks we are here.

• Agree
Reactions: VeloClone

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
Not sure how ASU isn't in the top 3. Phoenix is a top 10 media market. As long as our contract is ESPN/Fox - large media markets carry tremendous importance.

From a media rights value- I would think UA is 6th on the list, even behind CU. If Stanford and Cal change their priorities- then there is access to a great media market in the SF/SJ area and I would put having a Bay Area school more important than a 2nd team in AZ or UT.

I am in the minority, but I still think a Big12/Pac10 merger makes more sense than 2 separate conferences if the Pac12 deal ends up within $5M of the Big12 extension. I would look at a merger more like the AFC/NFC. If we play Cal, UCF, WSU, etc once a decade big deal. It would be having a 20-22 team League dominating territory west of the Mississippi River.

You're still too hung up on TV markets. Unless you have your own network on cable or streaming packages, TV markets don't matter. Interest in the team is what matters.

Denver is also a large population center, no one cares about Colorado.

Stanford and Cal will not deliver you Northern California. College sports just aren't in their DNA. It's not an issue of the schools priorities, it's a culture.

Yes Phoenix is a big city. But ASU doesn't move the needle like pro sports do in that market.

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
It’s getting to the point where some type of reset needs to happen. It’s unfortunate the NCAA lost its power and the conferences/networks hold all the cards now.

The best option at this point might be football conferences, men’s basketball conferences, then more regional conferences for the rest of the sports. Maybe some schools have all three in one, or some have all three in different conferences. Maybe because of some sports there are four or five affiliations.

USC/UCLA for example, it doesn’t make sense to send all their non profitable sports out to B1G country, Oklahoma might still be in the Big12 for wrestling, and so on.
I had not heard this argument before. It makes a lot of sense. But is not fair for the members not taking in the larger monetary share.
its stupid but it won't change, the train is going full speed to ultimately a **** show. It sucks we are here.
And it will likely never happen. We (or they) are in this for better or worse. Conference expansion for the elites is mostly "worse" for college sports, but also for all the rest of these schools' athletic programs.

They made their bed. Now they must sleep in it.