Texas & Oklahoma leaving in 2024, period.

Pope

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 7, 2015
From Canzano's latest column:

"My predictions, based on sourced conversations:

The Pac-12 will soon cut a media deal. It will likely expand by two members. Oregon and Washington aren't going anywhere. Neither are the “four corners” schools. Then, we’ll all move on to talking about the next college football season."

• Optimistic
Reactions: ClonerJams

cyIclSoneU

Apr 7, 2016
I always chuckle at the angst directed toward Texas. Had Texas left for the P12 both our schools would have likely been in the Mountain West or Big East or WAC.

The Longhorn Network was a method for ESPN to keep Texas in the fold. That allowed for a decade of financial gains, facilities built, and so on across this conference, while the league itself stabilized to the point now where it's the third most valuable conference in the game.

We should be a bit more circumspect when talking about Texas. I won't miss them much, but I'll always be happy they stayed this long.

I like how this post boils down to “It’s funny people are mad about Texas ******* the league now because Texas failed at ******* the league 13 years ago even worse, so we should mostly be happy they didn’t succeed then.”

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
I like how this post boils down to “It’s funny people are mad about Texas ******* the league now because Texas failed at ******* the league 13 years ago even worse, so we should mostly be happy they didn’t succeed then.”
Too many blanked out words to understand your point. The reality is that had Texas left a decade ago, ISU and K-State would likely be mid-majors today.

AlaCyclone

Jun 14, 2007
View attachment 109638

4 pods of 4 makes SO MUCH SENSE

UT-BYU-ASU-UA
CO-ISU-KU-KSU
OSU-TT-TCU-BU
UH-Cincy-WV-UCF

or my personal favorite.. You split up the 4 corners for late night inventory too.

BYU-TCU-BU-UT (Holy Pod)
ASU-AZ-CO-TT (Wild West Pod)
IS-KU-KSU-OSU (OG 4 Pod)
UH-WV-Cincy-UCF (11 AM kickoff Pod)

Source:

I like either of those pods for ISU, but I bet the four Texas schools are in one pod, and ISU ends up with UC, WVU and UCF. 'Twould be a bummer to lose the Big 8 rivals, but that is the way I think it will be drawn up.

• Agree
Reactions: Clonedogg

aeroclone

Oct 30, 2006

The Pac-12 will soon cut a media deal. It will likely expand by two members. Oregon and Washington aren't going anywhere. Neither are the “four corners” schools. Then, we’ll all move on to talking about the next college football season."
This is basically where I am at. Though I wouldn't be shocked if they just stay put at 10 teams and go on with business.

Reactions: PickSix

AlaCyclone

Jun 14, 2007
To this day I still do not understand why Texas and Oklahoma are leaving. Those teams politically ran the Big 12 (and OU also dominated football competitively until Riley left) and the other schools bent over backwards to try to keep them happy. The SEC will never give them the level of power they had in the Big 12. Not to mention the MUCH easier path to the playoffs that doesn’t involve Bama, Georgia, LSU, Tennessee every year. The rest of the conference is overrated but I don’t see the SEC even getting 4 teams in an 8 team playoff every year so somebody is not going to be happy. With the trends of OU and Texa$ in football, both are not looking like they will fair well against the top of the SEC. Yes they are getting a whole new level of pay but I don’t think it’s going to set well in 5 years when they have no playoff appearances and are getting the same money as Vanderbilt and Mizzou.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m glad Texas is leaving because they were the common denominator of dysfunction in the league and why every legacy Big 12 team left (Colorado, Nebraska, Missouri, Texas A&M). **** them for nearly kicking Iowa State (likely also Kansas, K-State, Baylor, Texas Tech, etc.) to a Mac level league in 2010 and again in 2011 (no offense to the Mac). OU, I really feel like they are just doing it because Texas wanted to leave and basically told OU they are the partner. I will be a little bummed to have OU gone but if your administration can’t stand up against Texa$ and are willing to abandon 100 years of tradition and burn the Bedlam rivalry just to be the new SEC whipping boy, it’s best they be gone too. Good riddance Texa$ and OU. The Big 12 will finally have the stability it has desperately needed since 1996.
They would have ended up in the MWC or the Big East / American at the top of the G5 not at the bottom of the G5 Barrel in the MAC. Besides that, I like your write-up.

RustShack

Chiefs Dynasty
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 27, 2010
Overland Park
I like either of those pods for ISU, but I bet the four Texas schools are in one pod, and ISU ends up with UC, WVU and UCF. 'Twould be a bummer to lose the Big 8 rivals, but that is the way I think it will be drawn up.

I’d be even more surprised if there are pods. Few protected rivals and rotate the rest.

AlaCyclone

Jun 14, 2007
I’d be even more surprised if there are pods. Few protected rivals and rotate the rest.
Could be. Pod is just another name for protecting rivalries. Play the other three protected teams every year and rotate the other 12 teams with a home and home with each within every four year period. Either way, NO DIVISIONS!

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010

They have to have a way to get close to the same media allocation the Big 12 gets. Knowing they are starting out $13 million/year short of that based on earlier reporting, and their frustration with how few bidders are at the table, I don't know which two adds help them in that area. But staying at ten is risky AF, knowing Oregon and Washington have openly courted a conference exit. Staying at ten would basically be admitting the conference ends when UW and UO leave. But that could also be the reality of the current moment anyway.

Hestia_Abnegation11

Oct 29, 2017
I'd be happy with two protected rivalries - KU and KSU or 3 person "pods" (pods, protected rivalries, whatever you want to call them) where we're with those 2.

Hestia_Abnegation11

Oct 29, 2017
This is basically where I am at. Though I wouldn't be shocked if they just stay put at 10 teams and go on with business.
I'd be shocked if the Pac 12 ends up getting enough money to convince UO and UW to stay long term or stop them from demanding unequal shares. Then you get into - do those Tier 2 members (AZ, ASU etc.) really feel that they are willing to give unequal shares in a diminishing pot of return or bolt? Whether its now or a few years down the line, the PAC 12 is gone. Every team is waiting for their ticket out, they're just shopping around first.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land

Why say "two members"?

Is there anybody other than SDSU and SMU in consideration?

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
I'd be shocked if the Pac 12 ends up getting enough money to convince UO and UW to stay long term or stop them from demanding unequal shares. Then you get into - do those Tier 2 members (AZ, ASU etc.) really feel that they are willing to give unequal shares in a diminishing pot of return or bolt? Whether its now or a few years down the line, the PAC 12 is gone. Every team is waiting for their ticket out, they're just shopping around first.

For all we know the Big Ten actually does want Washington and Oregon (or even Stanford) but just didn't want to look like a complete predator destroying an entire conference in one move.

It's been proven there's no legal threat by just picking at a conference until you get all the high value media teams. Why rush it?

It's worked brilliantly if that is the end goal. 99% of the Pac 12 media acts as if the Big 12 is responsible for the Big Ten destroying their conference.

RustShack

Chiefs Dynasty
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 27, 2010
Overland Park
Could be. Pod is just another name for protecting rivalries. Play the other three protected teams every year and rotate the other 12 teams with a home and home with each within every four year period. Either way, NO DIVISIONS!
Yeah except every team has different protected rivals, so it’s not the same as a pod.

For example just random teams

Iowa state has Kansas, Kansas State, Oklahoma State.

Kansas has KSU, Colorado, Iowa State

Oklahoma St has Iowa State, Tech, and BYU

Again just a random example.

Reactions: AlaCyclone

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
For all we know the Big Ten actually does want Washington and Oregon (or even Stanford) but just didn't want to look like a complete predator destroying an entire conference in one move.

It's been proven there's no legal threat by just picking at a conference until you get all the high value media teams. Why rush it?

It's worked brilliantly if that is the end goal. 99% of the Pac 12 media acts as if the Big 12 is responsible for the Big Ten destroying their conference.
Yeah, that's crazy. I don't know what to chalk it up to other than a superiority complex with respect to the Big 12, and Kliakoff framing media rights discussions as a need to beat out our value as the third most valuable conference.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Whenever I feel underwhelmed by UCF I think of a desperate PAC taking SMU and SDSU

Then UCF seems like adding the Dallas Cowboys

I guess we are supposed to call them just "Central" because they hate it.

I think "Central Flo" would be cool since it intentionally abbreviates Florida wrong and sounds like urination and/or menstruation.

exCyDing

Nov 29, 2017
I'd be shocked if they added any schools and everyone else stayed. I could see OR and WA be willing to stick it out and hope they get a B10 invite at some point in the future and aren't forced into an ACC-like GOR. Beyond them, I'd think a seat in the B12 would be hard to pass up for schools that aren't in line for B10/SEC consideration.

It's hard to underestimate how important a seat at the right table is. Conferences aren't (so far) kicking members out, once you're in, you're in. And if you have an offer now, it might not be there later.

Colorado is an interesting case. Taking the PAC offer sure looked like the right call at the time (and at numerous points since then), but now they might end up in a G6 PAC conference. If they'd stuck it out in the B12, they'd still have a seat at the better table. Of course, things may have played out differently for everyone if they didn't leave.

Reactions: Hestia_Abnegation11