Texas & Oklahoma leaving in 2024, period.

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
Don’t get me wrong, I’m glad Texas is leaving because they were the common denominator of dysfunction in the league and why every legacy Big 12 team left (Colorado, Nebraska, Missouri, Texas A&M). **** them for nearly kicking Iowa State (likely also Kansas, K-State, Baylor, Texas Tech, etc.) to a Mac level league in 2010 and again in 2011 (no offense to the Mac). OU, I really feel like they are just doing it because Texas wanted to leave and basically told OU they are the partner. I will be a little bummed to have OU gone but if your administration can’t stand up against Texa$ and are willing to abandon 100 years of tradition and burn the Bedlam rivalry just to be the new SEC whipping boy, it’s best they be gone too. Good riddance Texa$ and OU. The Big 12 will finally have the stability it has desperately needed since 1996.

Makes you wonder - what if the Big8 would have NOT taken Texas back when the SWC imploded? What if they had just taken A&M and Tech as the "rural" schools, going to 10 teams only, and left UT and Baylor behind? Maybe the SEC would have taken those 2 at that time, and never come after A&M and Mizzou.

Maybe without the UT drama, the Big8+2 would have stuck together...

• Disagree
Reactions: WhoISthis

SCNCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 11, 2009
La Fox, IL
The goal has to be 14 and at least match the ACC? Right?

Tier 1
1 Oregon
2 Washington

Tier 2
3 Arizona State - PHX MSA
4 Arizona

Tier 3:
5 Colorado
6 Utah

However, if the corner 4 would leave now.. I take them over waiting to hear from Oregon and Washington.

Personally, I think the goal should be to get to 16, just like the Big 10 and SEC are doing. As far as how you get there, I think you either take PAC schools or nothing. Then just wait to take the leftovers from the ACC.

cyfan92

Sep 20, 2011
Augusta National Golf Club
1676394015124.png

4 pods of 4 makes SO MUCH SENSE

UT-BYU-ASU-UA
CO-ISU-KU-KSU
OSU-TT-TCU-BU
UH-Cincy-WV-UCF

or my personal favorite.. You split up the 4 corners for late night inventory too.

BYU-TCU-BU-UT (Holy Pod)
ASU-AZ-CO-TT (Wild West Pod)
IS-KU-KSU-OSU (OG 4 Pod)
UH-WV-Cincy-UCF (11 AM kickoff Pod)

Source:

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
View attachment 109638

4 pods of 4 makes SO MUCH SENSE

UT-BYU-ASU-UA
CO-ISU-KU-KSU
OSU-TT-TCU-BU
UH-Cincy-WV-UCF

or my personal favorite.. You split up the 4 corners for late night inventory too.

BYU-TCU-BU-UT (Holy Pod)
ASU-AZ-CO-TT (Wild West Pod)
IS-KU-KSU-OSU (OG 4 Pod)
UH-WV-Cincy-UCF (11 AM kickoff Pod)

Source:

I like your second one. I like staying with our original B8 buddies.

Reactions: CloneFanInKC

WhoISthis

Oct 6, 2010
Texas has been getting any recruit they want ever since they joined the Big 12. Difference is ever since Mac Brown left they have been slightly above average on field with an rare 10 win season. The program is a mess and cannot get anything going because of their high dollar boosters being too involved in the football program. If they think that their on field luck is magically going to change just by having SEC on their field, I have a beach front property in Cedar Rapids to sell them.
OU led this exit, and if you’re UT, better to lose in SEC than to KU and ISU in the Big 12. That’s just the reality of college football.

The SEC brand had already become the top brand in Texas. A&M was using that to level the playing field, and OU couldn’t let that continue. UT didn’t need much arm twisting to agree.

Imo OU was looking at a decline either way

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
Makes you wonder - what if the Big8 would have NOT taken Texas back when the SWC imploded? What if they had just taken A&M and Tech as the "rural" schools, going to 10 teams only, and left UT and Baylor behind? Maybe the SEC would have taken those 2 at that time, and never come after A&M and Mizzou.

I doubt it. The TV payouts would have been less than the Big 10.

Nebraska's every bit as bad as Texas. Maybe worse. Texas at least tried to make it work after those guys left. Nebraska was opposed to a conference network, opposed to unequal revenue sharing, and bailed without trying to find any kind of middle ground, claiming that the old Big 8 undercut them when we voted against stupid-ass partial qualifiers.

Reactions: CascadeClone

exCyDing

Nov 29, 2017

Texas got all the blame, but A&M, Nebraska and OU each caused their problems. So long as they were winning or making more money than everyone else, they were tolerably happy. A&M and Nebraska left when Texas started making far more money than them and they were losing. OU stuck around because they were winning the conference more often than not.

• Agree
Reactions: VeloClone

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
So, do I understand this correctly? We are currently getting $28M/yr in media for 10 teams ($280M/yr). We will continue to split the $280M/yr for next two years. 2023: $280M/14 teams = $20M/team, 2024: $280M/12 teams = $23.3M/team. Add the $100M/8 OUT fee = $12.5M/team to the mix and we will get $55.8M over two years or same $28M/yr as if nothing changed. Then in 2025 new contract kicks in and we get bumped to $31M/yr.

View attachment 109634
View attachment 109635
Not sure those figures make sense.

Most of the time the agreements have escalator clauses. So when the article says the current agreement averaged $28M per year, that would have been the midpoint of the 13 year agreement that expires June 30, 2025. So around 2019 (Year 7) the Big12 would have received the "average".

So if the new agreement average is $31M, if that contract also increases annually, the extension average would be attained in 2028/29.

If we are dealing with average payouts, $28M in 2019ish vs. $31M in 2028/29.

What am I misunderstanding?

Last edited:

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
I always chuckle at the angst directed toward Texas. Had Texas left for the P12 both our schools would have likely been in the Mountain West or Big East or WAC.

The Longhorn Network was a method for ESPN to keep Texas in the fold. That allowed for a decade of financial gains, facilities built, and so on across this conference, while the league itself stabilized to the point now where it's the third most valuable conference in the game.

We should be a bit more circumspect when talking about Texas. I won't miss them much, but I'll always be happy they stayed this long.

cybychoice

Jun 27, 2014
Ankeny
I always chuckle at the angst directed toward Texas. Had Texas left for the P12 both our schools would have likely been in the Mountain West or Big East or WAC.

The Longhorn Network was a method for ESPN to keep Texas in the fold. That allowed for a decade of financial gains, facilities built, and so on across this conference, while the league itself stabilized to the point now where it's the third most valuable conference in the game.

We should be a bit more circumspect when talking about Texas. I won't miss them much, but I'll always be happy they stayed this long.
Nah man, the guy who pioneered the big 10 network wanted to do that at the big 12 first. Texas didn’t want to do that (I think some other top schools that left also didn’t want it) but could you imagine if the big 12 got that first what the would have done for the conference and for stability? Texas has always been specifically out for Texas. Having their brand in the big 12 was good for the big 12. They hurt the big 12 by leaving so fk them.

• Disagree
Reactions: WhoISthis

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
Taking UCF was a mistake. Can we kick them and West Virginia to the curb when we get 4 from the Pac 12.
UCF might not be a perfect fit next year, but they could be legit in 5-10 years. Remember what Baylor & TCU were like when they joined the Big12.

Baylor was a football wreck until Art Briles

TCU was great at football from the start, but their programs in entirety weren't great. I think that mimics UCF. They will be solid in FB next year, but it will take 5-10 years to develop their MBB, WBB, VB, etc.

The only add I would question is Houston. Because we already had Baylor, TCU and Tech. But if UH being in the Big12 significantly solidifies the Big12's visibility in Houston, then it was a good add. I still think media markets matter.

In hindsight with what is happening in the Pac12, instead of Houston would SDSU had been better to pair with BYU? Probably.

But in the end, I have to remember the 4 new Big12 members were those recommended by the Big12 media consultants, ESPN and FOX to maximize the Big12's media rights.

KnappShack

May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
UCF might not be a perfect fit next year, but they could be legit in 5-10 years. Remember what Baylor & TCU were like when they joined the Big12.

Baylor was a football wreck until Art Briles

TCU was great at football from the start, but their programs in entirety weren't great. I think that mimics UCF. They will be solid in FB next year, but it will take 5-10 years to develop their MBB, WBB, VB, etc.

The only add I would question is Houston. Because we already had Baylor, TCU and Tech. But if UH being in the Big12 significantly solidifies the Big12's visibility in Houston, then it was a good add. I still think media markets matter.

In hindsight with what is happening in the Pac12, instead of Houston would SDSU had been better to pair with BYU? Probably.

But in the end, I have to remember the 4 new Big12 members were those recommended by the Big12 media consultants, ESPN and FOX to maximize the Big12's media rights.

The 4 additions seem like the obvious best choices.

The PAC is trying to polish a couple of turds with SMU and SDSU.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
Nah man, the guy who pioneered the big 10 network wanted to do that at the big 12 first. Texas didn’t want to do that (I think some other top schools that left also didn’t want it) but could you imagine if the big 12 got that first what the would have done for the conference and for stability? Texas has always been specifically out for Texas. Having their brand in the big 12 was good for the big 12. They hurt the big 12 by leaving so fk them.
Texas has always claimed they wanted a Big 12 Network, but the other 3 of the big 4 (Nebraska, Aggy, OU) were opposed. LHN came after the others shot down a B12N. Or so they say.

Texas's problem is they act like their existence is a service to everyone else and they should get deferential treatment. And their insatiable need for more resources because they can't get it done on the field.

If Texas wins a couple natties in the last decade, they aren't even considering leaving.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Texas got all the blame, but A&M, Nebraska and OU each caused their problems. So long as they were winning or making more money than everyone else, they were tolerably happy. A&M and Nebraska left when Texas started making far more money than them and they were losing. OU stuck around because they were winning the conference more often than not.
Mizzou was whoring themselves out to the B1G for years as well.

SolterraCyclone

Jul 26, 2021
I don’t think a TV network would have saved the Big 12. It didn’t save the PAC, it won’t save the ACC, and it’s an afterthought for the SEC.

The beginning of the end of the Big 12 was in 1984 when Oklahoma won their supreme court case against the NCAA allowing conferences to negotiate their own TV deals. That created the current media rights bubble causing realignment (along with population and demographic shifts over time in the US).

Reactions: Big Daddy Kang

cyfan92

Sep 20, 2011
Augusta National Golf Club
UCF and Houston are easy to get to destinations from almost everywhere, open up direct flights for recruits and away games for recruits to play in front of their parents.

I do think it would be smart for the Big 12 to put these schools on Thursday/Friday games. You can't compete with the SEC of Florida State, but Baylor at UCF on linear TV versus the NFL on Prime would do a good number as there are a lot of homes that don't stream, even in 2023+