Texas & Oklahoma leaving in 2024, period.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
Just imagine if the IVY schools ever decided that it would be fun to outbid ("out-NIL") the SEC and B10 for the top 200 FB players for a few years.

Actually I would sit back and laugh. Their endowments certainly would let them do it if they wanted to.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
Not sure why the ending to Dr Stranglelove popped into my head reading this thread but it seems appropriate for Texas' exit. Probably because they kill everything they touch.

Good to Texa$$ and the SEC.(You're gonna need it)

In 5 yrs they will realize nobody in SEC is going to kiss their ring. In 10 yrs they will be firmly entrenched in the middle of the SEC and still whining about how great they are supposed to be. I'm not going to miss those overentitled whiny brats at all.

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
In 5 yrs they will realize nobody in SEC is going to kiss their ring. In 10 yrs they will be firmly entrenched in the middle of the SEC and still whining about how great they are supposed to be. I'm not going to miss those overentitled whiny brats at all.
Wait til theyre too good for the SEC, despite average-at-best success.
They will either cheat so hard there will be a major scandal, or theyll flat out go independent. Either way, damaging the SEC and their "partners".

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
They will either cheat so hard there will be a major scandal, or theyll flat out go independent. Either way, damaging the SEC and their "partners".

Can you actually cheat in the NIL world? But I agree 100% with them being average and a headache. Glad they are the SEC's problem now.

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
Can you actually cheat in the NIL world? But I agree 100% with them being average and a headache. Glad they are the SEC's problem now.
Eh, no matter how little is now impermissible, there will be someone still going too far. If there was only one rule left, someone would break it

• Agree
Reactions: cychhosis and NWICY

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
If the sports world does go heavy streaming, I could see UT, A&M and maybe OU trying to go Indy and doing a joint type thing. I know LHN failed, but one school is tough to have enough to keep it entertaining. Throw 2 or three schools in there and you might be able to pull it off.

SCNCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 11, 2009
La Fox, IL
If the sports world does go heavy streaming, I could see UT, A&M and maybe OU trying to go Indy and doing a joint type thing. I know LHN failed, but one school is tough to have enough to keep it entertaining. Throw 2 or three schools in there and you might be able to pull it off.

Honestly, if you go to a streaming modem, you cut the junk out the filler. So only show games and pre/post game shows. Maybe in season for a sport, you have a show that is active 2-3 times a week. But outside of season, you just do on demand videos.

Really, it becomes like an on demand streaming service.

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
The SEC is too strong a league to allow any of the schools that you mentioned to go independent and set up their own streaming service. ESPN will also have the rights to the league and will want to use their own ESPN+ platform to show games on.

Both OU and UT are going to find out very quickly that they are now one in a chorus of teams, and not the headliner. No special treatment will be heading their way just because you think you deserve it, the SEC will treat them like the B12 should have, you have been invited to be a member of the league, not led the league.

exCyDing

Nov 29, 2017
The SEC is too strong a league to allow any of the schools that you mentioned to go independent and set up their own streaming service. ESPN will also have the rights to the league and will want to use their own ESPN+ platform to show games on.

Both OU and UT are going to find out very quickly that they are now one in a chorus of teams, and not the headliner. No special treatment will be heading their way just because you think you deserve it, the SEC will treat them like the B12 should have, you have been invited to be a member of the league, not led the league.
If I recall, the SEC doesn’t have a GOR. I, for one, am looking forward to the day Texas tries to get some special treatment and threatens to leave, only for the SEC to call their bluff.

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
I believe Texas has enough resources to be competitive anywhere, including SEC football. Those Texas kids would rather play at Austin than College Station, always have.

OU on the other hand, IDK? They could become a middling, yes, because they have neither the resources nor the in-state talent, much like Arkansas in that way.

CysRage

Oct 18, 2009

To this day I still do not understand why Texas and Oklahoma are leaving. Those teams politically ran the Big 12 (and OU also dominated football competitively until Riley left) and the other schools bent over backwards to try to keep them happy. The SEC will never give them the level of power they had in the Big 12. Not to mention the MUCH easier path to the playoffs that doesn’t involve Bama, Georgia, LSU, Tennessee every year. The rest of the conference is overrated but I don’t see the SEC even getting 4 teams in an 8 team playoff every year so somebody is not going to be happy. With the trends of OU and Texa$ in football, both are not looking like they will fair well against the top of the SEC. Yes they are getting a whole new level of pay but I don’t think it’s going to set well in 5 years when they have no playoff appearances and are getting the same money as Vanderbilt and Mizzou.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m glad Texas is leaving because they were the common denominator of dysfunction in the league and why every legacy Big 12 team left (Colorado, Nebraska, Missouri, Texas A&M). **** them for nearly kicking Iowa State (likely also Kansas, K-State, Baylor, Texas Tech, etc.) to a Mac level league in 2010 and again in 2011 (no offense to the Mac). OU, I really feel like they are just doing it because Texas wanted to leave and basically told OU they are the partner. I will be a little bummed to have OU gone but if your administration can’t stand up against Texa$ and are willing to abandon 100 years of tradition and burn the Bedlam rivalry just to be the new SEC whipping boy, it’s best they be gone too. Good riddance Texa$ and OU. The Big 12 will finally have the stability it has desperately needed since 1996.

helechopper

Loyal Son Forever True
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 8, 2006
Chicago
TX and OU going to the SEC is awesome for them.

They get more money, some big time matchups with other elite football programs and a ton of exposure.

I think they’ll have some not-so-hot years, but will have epic years thrown in there as well. The rivalries formed in the SEC will be insane.

TX vs Bama, OU vs Georgia, TX vs LSU, OU vs Florida. It’s freaking intriguing football, undeniably so.

But…

On our side of the fence, we made out okay too.

We lose the attitude and arrogance of TX and OU. More importantly the uneven revenue sharing that’s been happening and hindering our growth potential for far too long.

No more favorable schedules, penalties for ‘horns down’, unbalanced officiating and blatant disrespect to the rest of us in the Big12.

Now we’ll have more balance between all Big12 teams, which will foster better competition. We can expand or sit put knowing that we’re doing so because it’s a decision made for the betterment of the conference, not TX and OU.

It’s a whole new world out there Cyclone fans and I’m looking forward to what the future holds. Something I always had to look over my shoulder when saying with TX and OU in the conference.

We’re finally free to experience what being in a healthy league feels like.

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
To this day I still do not understand why Texas and Oklahoma are leaving. Those teams politically ran the Big 12 (and OU also dominated football competitively until Riley left) and the other schools bent over backwards to try to keep them happy. The SEC will never give them the level of power they had in the Big 12. Not to mention the MUCH easier path to the playoffs that doesn’t involve Bama, Georgia, LSU, Tennessee every year. The rest of the conference is overrated but I don’t see the SEC even getting 4 teams in an 8 team playoff every year so somebody is not going to be happy. With the trends of OU and Texa$ in football, both are not looking like they will fair well against the top of the SEC. Yes they are getting a whole new level of pay but I don’t think it’s going to set well in 5 years when they have no playoff appearances and are getting the same money as Vanderbilt and Mizzou.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m glad Texas is leaving because they were the common denominator of dysfunction in the league and why every legacy Big 12 team left (Colorado, Nebraska, Missouri, Texas A&M). **** them for nearly kicking Iowa State (likely also Kansas, K-State, Baylor, Texas Tech, etc.) to a Mac level league in 2010 and again in 2011 (no offense to the Mac). OU, I really feel like they are just doing it because Texas wanted to leave and basically told OU they are the partner. I will be a little bummed to have OU gone but if your administration can’t stand up against Texa$ and are willing to abandon 100 years of tradition and burn the Bedlam rivalry just to be the new SEC whipping boy, it’s best they be gone too. Good riddance Texa$ and OU. The Big 12 will finally have the stability it has desperately needed since 1996.
OU left for the money. Their athletic budget is a mess. Texas left because they believe they will attract national championship caliber linemen in the SEC, something they have not done in the B12.

• Agree
Reactions: SEIOWA CLONE

CysRage

Oct 18, 2009
OU left for the money. Their athletic budget is a mess. Texas left because they believe they will attract national championship caliber linemen in the SEC, something they have not done in the B12.
Texas has been getting any recruit they want ever since they joined the Big 12. Difference is ever since Mac Brown left they have been slightly above average on field with an rare 10 win season. The program is a mess and cannot get anything going because of their high dollar boosters being too involved in the football program. If they think that their on field luck is magically going to change just by having SEC on their field, I have a beach front property in Cedar Rapids to sell them.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
Texas has been getting any recruit they want ever since they joined the Big 12. Difference is ever since Mac Brown left they have been slightly above average on field with an rare 10 win season. The program is a mess and cannot get anything going because of their high dollar boosters being too involved in the football program. If they think that their on field luck is magically going to change just by having SEC on their field, I have a beach front property in Cedar Rapids to sell them.

Is it down by Quaker so I can smell yummy cereal flavors?

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
I believe Texas has enough resources to be competitive anywhere, including SEC football. Those Texas kids would rather play at Austin than College Station, always have.

OU on the other hand, IDK? They could become a middling, yes, because they have neither the resources nor the in-state talent, much like Arkansas in that way.
Texas still gets pissy of you do their hand signal upside down. They're going to be in for a rude awakening.
Their coach is a relapse away from going all Bobby Petrino on that program.

• Agree
Reactions: surly and PickSix

qwerty

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 3, 2020
Muscatine, IA
So, do I understand this correctly? We are currently getting $28M/yr in media for 10 teams ($280M/yr). We will continue to split the $280M/yr for next two years. 2023: $280M/14 teams = $20M/team, 2024: $280M/12 teams = $23.3M/team. Add the $100M/8 OUT fee = $12.5M/team to the mix and we will get $55.8M over two years or same $28M/yr as if nothing changed. Then in 2025 new contract kicks in and we get bumped to $31M/yr.

1676390851365.png
1676390869143.png

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site

They're leaving for money and media exposure.

Their fans also think the Big 12 has screwed them over and worked to spite them. Absolutely insane.

Reactions: keepngoal

iahawks

Sep 7, 2012
So, do I understand this correctly? We are currently getting $28M/yr in media for 10 teams ($280M/yr). We will continue to split the $280M/yr for next two years. 2023: $280M/14 teams = $20M/team, 2024: $280M/12 teams = $23.3M/team. Add the $100M/8 OUT fee = $12.5M/team to the mix and we will get $55.8M over two years or same $28M/yr as if nothing changed. Then in 2025 new contract kicks in and we get bumped to $31M/yr.

View attachment 109634
View attachment 109635
That is a good breakdown, but I think you have to take out the money that Fox is getting from the $100 million as well.

Reactions: PickSix

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009

Another Auburn, just with even more money.

Reactions: Beerclone33