Texas to stay...according to new Orangebloods

dosry5

Nov 28, 2006
Johnston
As opposed to what? ISU is going to be a small fish in any big conference pond. Suggest something else that is remotely reasonable and I'd be all ears. You guys took your ball and went home when things got tough after not doing jack for 14 years to help even the conference out. Screw Nebraska. Believe it or not but I hope Iowa pounds Nebraska into utter oblivion in the Big 10.

Wow.....bitter much?

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
As opposed to what? ISU is going to be a small fish in any big conference pond. Suggest something else that is remotely reasonable and I'd be all ears. You guys took your ball and went home when things got tough after not doing jack for 14 years to help even the conference out. Screw Nebraska. Believe it or not but I hope Iowa pounds Nebraska into utter oblivion in the Big 10.

Wow.....bitter much?

Honetly, I don't like Iowa or Nebraska, but at least Iowa didn't vote to take money out of ISU's pockets (revenue sharing). They would if they had the chance though.

dosry5

Nov 28, 2006
Johnston
Honetly, I don't like Iowa or Nebraska, but at least Iowa didn't vote to take money out of ISU's pockets (revenue sharing). They would if they had the chance though.

Absolutely they would have. As would ISU if they were in the catbird seat. It's easy to place blame when **** rolls down hill and you're at the bottom--but I just don't get everyone here blaming NU or TX or any other school. Makes us look like jilted lovers.

simply1

Rec Center HOF
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2009
Pdx
I wonder where Tim Griffin was during all of this..
:jimlad:

simply1

Rec Center HOF
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2009
Pdx

Iowa State shouldn't have voted to form a conference based on that, trying to change the rules after getting the "big fish" in isn't exactly stand-up behavior.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
Absolutely they would have. As would ISU if they were in the catbird seat. It's easy to place blame when **** rolls down hill and you're at the bottom--but I just don't get everyone here blaming NU or TX or any other school. Makes us look like jilted lovers.

In most ways, I understand that those institutions (Iowa and NU) are looking our for themselves. That makes sense. However, in general they are condescending a-holes most of the time. That's the real reason I don't like them.

Personally, I take offense to a Fusker fan coming here and bashing ISU for bowing down to Texas. NOW we should make Texas share the TV money, since Nebraska is no longer in the conference.

It is just hypocritical since Nebraska has been a lesser bully in the Big12 before.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
Iowa State shouldn't have voted to form a conference based on that, trying to change the rules after getting the "big fish" in isn't exactly stand-up behavior.

Huh? I am not following what you are trying to say here. What did ISU vote on and what rules were we trying to change?

simply1

Rec Center HOF
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2009
Pdx
Huh? I am not following what you are trying to say here. What did ISU vote on and what rules were we trying to change?
Iowa State voted to accept the unequal revenue sharing when Texas, etc, joined to form the Big 12.

StPaulCyclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 9, 2008
Duh!
Does this all mean that the Clone Zone will get bigger or smaller?

I assumed BIGGER! All schools are allowed to explore other distribution options. The Cyclone Television Network maybe able to carry games that are not picked up.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI

He's referring to back during the original formation of the conference. Who knows - it might have been one of those "just agree with this for the time being so we can get this deal worked out and we'll address the deficiencies later", only that one too many schools (ahem, Nebraska) benefited from the deficiencies, only to cut and run later instead of finally voting for change when they began to work against them.

sdillon500

Sep 12, 2006
northern california
Why did the whole conference almost go up in smoke before that dumb--- Bebee tried to start putting a new TV deal together. When this is over he needs to be gone.

Agreed. Beebe is a tool, but he's been an effective tool for Texas. I'm not surprised that the Big XII nearly imploded right before it was about to renegotiate a huge new TV contract. One that may have even included equal revenue sharing.

By threatening to leave, take the Big XII south to the Pac 10 and destroy the Big XII, Texas vastly improved its bargaining position. No different than a mobster holding someone out a tenth story window to collect a debt. Texas wants to collect a huge payday, and have the rest of the schools in the Big XII kiss the ring.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Wow.....bitter much?

Not at all, as I've always rooted against NU. I just don't like all the Husker fans saying how awwwwffulll it will be in the Big 12 when it's clearly our best option. Is it the best possible situation? Absolutely not, but it could have been much, much worse.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
Agreed. Beebe is a tool, but he's been an effective tool for Texas. I'm not surprised that the Big XII nearly imploded right before it was about to renegotiate a huge new TV contract. One that may have even included equal revenue sharing.

By threatening to leave, take the Big XII south to the Pac 10 and destroy the Big XII, Texas vastly improved its bargaining position. No different than a mobster holding someone out a tenth story window to collect a debt. Texas wants to collect a huge payday, and have the rest of the schools in the Big XII kiss the ring.

You forgot to say that we will all end up better off. Again, why is everyone so concerned with what happens for Texas? It seems you would rather have us stay where we are financially and have Texas drop than have us improve our standing while Texas improves theirs. It's really quite sad.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
He's referring to back during the original formation of the conference. Who knows - it might have been one of those "just agree with this for the time being so we can get this deal worked out and we'll address the deficiencies later", only that one too many schools (ahem, Nebraska) benefited from the deficiencies, only to cut and run later instead of finally voting for change when they began to work against them.

I was unaware of that original vote.

However, I don't think there is anything wrong with wanting to vote to change it later. It would be pretty crappy if you could never vote to change the conference rules and I really don't think it should be considered "not stand up behavior".

Having some sort of competitive balance in the conference is important and the benefits of being in a conference should apply at least somewhat evenly to all schools affiliated. Texas does benefit from being in the Big12 and has since its inception.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
If you didn't understand exactly what I meant, Tornado, heaven help you. Obviously, what I meant is that Texas gets their network (which I would think will make it more difficult for the Big 12 Lite to negotiate a good network deal for the conference), plus the existing agreement on revenue sharing stays unchanged. What this means is that Texas will continue to get the largest share when the new television agreement is inked, plus they will get a reported additional $5 to $8 million from their proposed Longhorns Network. Pretty sweet deal if your name is DeLoss Dodds, I guess.

Yes, it could be argued that it is good for Iowa State if the Big 12 remains in existence moving forward, but don't be deceived, Texas is clearly in the "cat bird seat" and will continue to push for and get everything they want, at the expense of the other conference schools. Dan "What can we do for you today, Texas?" Beebee will ensure the Horns get everything they want!

Honestly, I feel very badly for Iowa State, Kansas, Kansas State and Baylor. As much as I really have never had great love for the Big 10, as a Nebraska fan, I am extremely pleased that the Huskers no longer will have to be in a conference that includes Texas. And believe me, it has absolutely nothing to do with their recent dominance in football. Absolutely nothing! Over the past 12-14 years, I just have come to loathe the University of Texas because of it's strong-arming of the Big 12 Conference.

Give them time. If they don't destroy the Big 12 today, they will eventually. There will never be true stability in a Big 12 Conference that involves the University of Texas. Period!

I think someone is a little bitter that they gave up an easy road to a conference championship to go to the Big Ten. Can Texas stop anyone from winning? I really don't think so. We are going to double our revenue and we will be in a much better place than we were before financially. Meanwhile, you will be in a worse place competitively but you will make a couple extra bucks.

simply1

Rec Center HOF
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2009
Pdx
I was unaware of that original vote.

However, I don't think there is anything wrong with wanting to vote to change it later. It would be pretty crappy if you could never vote to change the conference rules and I really don't think it should be considered "not stand up behavior".

Having some sort of competitive balance in the conference is important and the benefits of being in a conference should apply at least somewhat evenly to all schools affiliated. Texas does benefit from being in the Big12 and has since its inception.

Complaining about it when the later votes don't go that way isn't really the way to go is it? That's what's been happening. Adding Texas basically doubled the Big 8's tv market share, why would the teams benefitting give that up now? Also, why exactly does Texas care about competitive balance? They want to go undefeated, have a good enough strength of schedule to get into the bcs championship game, and call it good. They most certainly don't want NFL style parity.

sdillon500

Sep 12, 2006
northern california
You forgot to say that we will all end up better off. Again, why is everyone so concerned with what happens for Texas? It seems you would rather have us stay where we are financially and have Texas drop than have us improve our standing while Texas improves theirs. It's really quite sad.

Not at all. This is the best possible outcome for ISU, both athletically & academically by far. I'm excited about the possibility of having a self-sufficient athletic department for the first time in my life. I'm excited about the possibilty of a bowled-in Jack Trice stadium.

But just because Texas decided to be gracious enough not to destroy its second conference in 15 years, that doesn't mean I have to like them for it. I've never been naive enough to think that college athletics is about much more than money, but the fact that Texas was willing to blow up an athletic conference and hurt several schools for a little more money is pretty disturbing.