Thank you DOT!

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
It's that kind of attitude that turns drivers into grease spots.

I can't believe you've never unexpectedly come upon something on the pavement that fell off a truck, that you've never had a deer or a dog run out in front of you, or that you've never blown a tire while driving.

Your statement is 40 ways from foolish. I hope it never takes a fatality for you to learn why.

No you might think this is what happens but you are wrong. Removing speed limits and signs has been shown to reduce accidents in Montana and certain areas of Europe. In fact, I believe there was a city in Europe that removed all safety signs including things like stop signs and there were fewer accidents and injuries. I'm not sure we need to go that far but it has been shown.

hawkeyeh8r

Jun 10, 2010
Ames
The holier than thou crowd in this thread is strong. I didn't realize there were so many perfect drivers in the DSM metro. Bring on mandated integrated ignition locks in all cars!

its not necessarily me being holier than anyone else, its me owning up to getting a speeding ticket and paying it instead of complaining on an internet forum that cities are out to collect ca$h. if you are going 11+ over the speed limit any city is justified in fining you regardless of the situation

clone52

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 27, 2006
For those that say 11mph over should get a ticket, what about 5 over, what about 1 over?

Speed limits in general are a joke. Having the same speed for night, day, weather, traffic conditions, etc is a joke. At 5:30am on a clear day on 235 the chances of me getting in an accident because of speeding is ridiculously low.

It also seem wrong to send the owner of the car a ticket.

The owner of a car has to pay parking tickets too.

hawkeyeh8r

Jun 10, 2010
Ames
No you might think this is what happens but you are wrong. Removing speed limits and signs has been shown to reduce accidents in Montana and certain areas of Europe. In fact, I believe there was a city in Europe that removed all safety signs including things like stop signs and there were fewer accidents and injuries. I'm not sure we need to go that far but it has been shown.

This is true in europe because because many countries have set speed limits for in town, highway and interstate (au.tobahn) speeds no matter where you are (unless otherwise marked obviously). I think this would be a good idea if you could get all the states to agree on set speed limits for these ares (30 in town, 65 on highways and 75 on the interstate for example). However, i dont see this ever happening because the laws in the US are determined at a state level and not at the federal level like European countries.

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames

Has anyone else noticed the recent surge in the number of signs? Open your eyes people, it's government in bed with the major sign manufacturers to drive up prices! Also traffic signs cause autism.

• Funny
Reactions: BryceC

clone52

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 27, 2006
i understand your point, but they aren't nearly large enough, not in areas that they should be and can be easily missed. setup for payday

Do you have a problem if a patrol car is parked over a hill to catch speeding drivers?

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
So we should just do away with all speed limits because everyone always drives safely and would never cause an accident duue to being something stupid.

Nope but they should be set more closely to the 80th percentile speed and not an arbitrary number often determined more by politicians than by engineering. And for areas with varying conditions (like an urban area with different traffic patterns based on time of day) we should have variable speed limits that would set the speed limit based on the generally slower speeds at rush hour, but allow higher speeds during the relatively un-congested off hours.

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
Has anyone else noticed the recent surge in the number of signs? Open your eyes people, it's government in bed with the major sign manufacturers to drive up prices! Also traffic signs cause autism.

ArgentCy's dream of a perfect traffic system:
[video=youtube;nVUDFizBLxw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nVUDFizBLxw[/video]

clone52

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 27, 2006
The holier than thou crowd in this thread is strong. I didn't realize there were so many perfect drivers in the DSM metro. Bring on mandated integrated ignition locks in all cars!

We're not perfect drivers. Most of us have probably been ticketed before but aren't such whiners that we can't even take responsibility for our own mistakes.

clone52

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 27, 2006
Lucky I didn't get any ticket while driving in Germany. Here I'm doing 110 and I got passed numerous times. I felt as safe doing 110 as I do going 35 in Johnston.

[video=youtube;jIzbUD1yNFw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jIzbUD1yNFw&list=UUgm-FSlFl9ko86cPw3oyAdw[/video]

My bad, I'm an idiot on this post.

Last edited:

clone52

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 27, 2006
Nope but they should be set more closely to the 80th percentile speed and not an arbitrary number often determined more by politicians than by engineering. And for areas with varying conditions (like an urban area with different traffic patterns based on time of day) we should have variable speed limits that would set the speed limit based on the generally slower speeds at rush hour, but allow higher speeds during the relatively un-congested off hours.

Variable speeds would be a good idea. They do it in Germany I know. Its also a ticket in Germany for passing on the right. I don't think I saw that happen a single time. Variable speeds would be awful to begin with in the US. People are crying constantly about roundabouts even though they are much safer and handle traffic flow better than alternatives.

CyArob

Why are you the way that you are?
Apr 22, 2011
MN
But i think part of the problem is the speed limits to begin with. Does the speed limit really need to be down to 60 or 55 through des moines? The vast majority of time it doesnt. A lot of people that might be getting ticketed (for the record i have received no ticket on this stretch) may be driving perfectly safe, comfortable speeds for the time and conditions they are driving at (something studies show people tend to do regardless of the governmentally set limits, which is why the percentage and degree of speeding decreased on iowa roads when we increased the limit to 70mph, despite the fearmongering at the time)

The data seems to suggest that for me as well. The DOT finds that the areas where the cameras sit are very safe, with few accidents. It also finds that that is relatively unchanged since before the installation of the cameras. Yet it finds there are many, many people being cited as speeding, so theyre being cited even though the statistics show there is no danger happening from them driving that speed, nor was there any danger when presumably even more people were speeding prior to the installation of the cameras. That seems inherently wrong to me to be citing people when they arent creating a danger.

Ok, what's the design speed of I-235? What's the design speed of I-80? What's the design speed of University Ave?

Do you know how speed limits are determined?

Last edited:

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
Never got a red light or speed cam ticket but I hate those devices because it's not about safety its just a money grab. I was thrilled that the City of Clive decided to turn off and remove all their red light cameras the other year. We have yet to see any statistical data proving that these cameras have vastly improved safety at their locations. Most of the safety issues at these so called dangerous intersections could be corrected with proper engineering changes to the physical layout of the intersection, timing of the stop lights, and possibly even reducing the speed limit in some cases.

The speed cameras on I235 were nothing but a huge money grab. Yes I agree if you go 11+ over the limit you deserve a ticket but they also bring in plenty of out of town money because people that don't live in DM or drive that stretch don't know they are there so it's essentially entrapment IMO. Just how while I have more respect for police who park and clock traffic at least you have a way to formally appeal your ticket where it's near impossible to get one caught on camera overturned plus it may not even be you driving your car. I do hate it when police hide away from sight of traffic when clocking though, that is still a form of entrapment IMO. If someone flies by an officer within reasonable sight from the road that is on you but if you are hidden back behind a building or cornfield where you can't be seen until after you go by that is a tad sketchy. The one spot I think that is dangerous is I've seen a Polk County Sherriff vehicle in the median or sitting on the side of an on/off ramp of 141 at night without any kind of lights on which is dangerous because you can't see there is a vehicle near the roadway until you are close enough that your headlights reflect off them. At least turn some running lights on so you are somewhat visible in the dark

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
Never got a red light or speed cam ticket but I hate those devices because it's not about safety its just a money grab. I was thrilled that the City of Clive decided to turn off and remove all their red light cameras the other year. We have yet to see any statistical data proving that these cameras have vastly improved safety at their locations. Most of the safety issues at these so called dangerous intersections could be corrected with proper engineering changes to the physical layout of the intersection, timing of the stop lights, and possibly even reducing the speed limit in some cases.

The speed cameras on I235 were nothing but a huge money grab. Yes I agree if you go 11+ over the limit you deserve a ticket but they also bring in plenty of out of town money because people that don't live in DM or drive that stretch don't know they are there so it's essentially entrapment IMO. Just how while I have more respect for police who park and clock traffic at least you have a way to formally appeal your ticket where it's near impossible to get one caught on camera overturned plus it may not even be you driving your car. I do hate it when police hide away from sight of traffic when clocking though, that is still a form of entrapment IMO. If someone flies by an officer within reasonable sight from the road that is on you but if you are hidden back behind a building or cornfield where you can't be seen until after you go by that is a tad sketchy. The one spot I think that is dangerous is I've seen a Polk County Sherriff vehicle in the median or sitting on the side of an on/off ramp of 141 at night without any kind of lights on which is dangerous because you can't see there is a vehicle near the roadway until you are close enough that your headlights reflect off them. At least turn some running lights on so you are somewhat visible in the dark

Entrapment?? The point is to catch drivers that are already speeding, nobody is forcing anyone to drive too fast.

keepngoal

OKA: keepingoal
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 20, 2006
It is widely known but here is your damn link. Check out paragraph 4.

http://www.kcrg.com/news/local/Trafffic-104311534.html

Also you are coming from a 60 MPH zone. So you would have to been going at least 7 mph over that (fine by me) and missed the speed limit drop to get a ticket.

I missed the part in your link where many in here were complaining on getting a ticket ... that was the point, most (practically all) are not complaining in this thread.

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
I missed the part in your link where many in here were complaining on getting a ticket ... that was the point, most (practically all) are not complaining in this thread.

My apologies for misinterpreting your link request.