The 10 best breweries in Iowa

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
No but I don't get all of the hate on them here. You can't deny the fact they have been extremely successful thus far.

I don't hate them at all. Their Beatnik Sour is a great beer, and the food is amazing.

But their line up as a whole is less than stellar, and they're rarely mentioned as a great Iowa brewery, with good reason. Success doesn't equate the beer community thinking it's great. Olde Main is successful. Millstream is too. Neither one is a great brewery in the eyes of the beer community, but they are both successful businesses.

RubyClone

Mar 21, 2014
Glad they threw Singlespeed on there. Often gets overlooked. A bit like 515 in that they have small capacity, so it's hit and miss what will be on tap. But they've had some pretty good beers

1100011CS

Oct 5, 2007
Marshalltown

I don't hate them at all. Their Beatnik Sour is a great beer, and the food is amazing.

But their line up as a whole is less than stellar, and they're rarely mentioned as a great Iowa brewery, with good reason. Success doesn't equate the beer community thinking it's great. Olde Main is successful. Millstream is too. Neither one is a great brewery in the eyes of the beer community, but they are both successful businesses.

Just to play devil's advocate. I don't have an opinion either way.

jumbopackage

Sep 18, 2007
but, but, sour? They are a great German style brewer.
Beatnik is a fairly classic Berliner Weisse (maybe a bit high in ABV for the style, but not far off). It's one of the beers that makes perfect sense if you're going to do a great variety of beers in the German tradition.

Also, it's always nice to be included in these lists, but they don't really mean anything other than someone's opinion, so your list is just as valid as theirs :)

oldman

Nov 5, 2009
If you are ever in Manchester, Iowa you have to stop by the Franklin St. Brewery. Great beers, nice atmosphere, and the owners are huge Cyclone fans.

CyFan61

Oct 25, 2010
Of the North Central Iowa breweries, they left the best one off the list - Lake Time in Clear Lake.

Haven't gotten to Alluvial yet and have had Big Grove beer, but not at their brewery. It's a solid list, but I would personally probably put in Lion Bridge and Backpocket over Peace Tree and Twisted Vine, but I understand the inclusions.

Lion Bridge is excellent; they probably brew the single best beer in Iowa (Workman's Comp).

ISUME

Mar 13, 2012
I guess I'm the only one that likes Great River Brewery, more Roller Dam Red for me.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Beatnik is a fairly classic Berliner Weisse (maybe a bit high in ABV for the style, but not far off). It's one of the beers that makes perfect sense if you're going to do a great variety of beers in the German tradition.

Also, it's always nice to be included in these lists, but they don't really mean anything other than someone's opinion, so your list is just as valid as theirs :)

I was saying it without a jimlad. That would have been 21's response, as he's done a 1000 times before.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron