The Band

K

KFitzy87

I remember exactly what I said. In defense of comments other people said. I also said I don't like the chants but that doesn't mean they're going to stop. It just seems pointless to complain about something that isn't going to stop. Unless you want to make a thread about the band after every game. But if that's the case the team must be playing pretty well so I guess I'd take it.
Do the folks upstairs dictate when/what you chant? If not, why can't it stop? Tradition?

cy4prez7

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2010
Des Moines
Do the folks upstairs dictate when/what you chant? If not, why can't it stop? Tradition?

I mean it could stop but you're not going to be able to convince everybody to do that. More than likely because of tradition.

MissouriCyclone

Jul 24, 2011
Raleigh, North Carolina
The cowbell thing at basketball games needs to stop. Along with the "OHHH, UGHH, OHHH!" thing they do whenever the other team has the ball. Other than that I tune the band out as I could care less.

cy4prez7

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2010
Des Moines
The cowbell thing at basketball games needs to stop. Along with the "OHHH, UGHH, OHHH!" thing they do whenever the other team has the ball. Other than that I tune the band out as I could care less.

I agree about cowbell but I think the people upstairs like it.

CyArob

Why are you the way that you are?
Apr 22, 2011
MN
OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHJHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHJHHHHHJHHHHHHHHH

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
I mean it could stop but you're not going to be able to convince everybody to do that. More than likely because of tradition.

A fairly weak tradition, honestly... they'd gotten pretty sporadic when i was in it from what i remember. Its just not funny when its the same 'jokes' every time. The last year or so theyve been renewed fairly strongly, i was assuming the new director mightve had something to do with that.

Also, what is the band attempting to chant after '5 claps' at the beginning? Personally i wish everyone just did 5 claps then silence, but i know changing the student section isnt happening... but itd be nice to at least have the band back on board with that..

iacyguy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 1, 2011
The Dirty Dodge
listen to yourself

you think that bandies are so different from me and you? they came to this country just like everyone else in search of a dream

you're a rabid anti bandie!

oh it starts with a few jokes and some slurs. "hey bandie!" next thing you know you're saying they should have their own schools!

no you listen to yourself! bandies may be american. also in search of a dream that they actually effect the outcome of a game. but they are nothing like the rest of us. THEY HAVE BEEN LABELLED BAND "GEEKS" FOR A REASON!. generally the entire band knows nothing about the game of basketball and are just there to toot their horns. same as football. i've heard some of the absolutely dumbest crap come out of band members mouths at football games that its embarrassing. i dont care if they play, but if iowa state band members are the so called "pride of iowa state" then a requirement should be that our fans are actually proud of the stuff they do. please band. just keep it simple, play a few cool new tunes, play the fight song, yell loud (but not irrelevant crap) and enjoy cyclone athletics like normal people

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa
The only grip I have about the band is how they think they need to call me every 6 months asking for money. Other than that I dont pay attention to them, the same prob can be said for the opposing team.

IASTATE4LIFE

Apr 22, 2010
I don't think the problem is the band. Although I do hate how much they play our fight song every game. but that is not the bands decision it doesn't sound like.

The problem is that our student section sucks. It is tradition for it to suck. Since it is tradition, this statement isn't on our current students. The Underclassmen just haven't been taught how to be a good student section, because we have never had one.

Now, Some will say this was just a non-conference game, that means nothing. But when we were starting to make our run in the second half, and Southern had the ball, the student section never made any noise. Ridiculous. Luckily our team is good enough to overcome a crappy home crowd. I watched Kansas State Play there first non con game and there crowd was going nuts. I think our students need to take note of crowds like theirs. More synchronized chants, movements, and overall craziness all game.

The best thing our student section has is when somebody fouls out with the left, right chant. Kudos for that, but we need more. A lot more. Other teams need to be scared to play at Hilton. Right now it is just way to cuddly.

Cy$

Sep 1, 2011
Ames
I don't think the problem is the band. Although I do hate how much they play our fight song every game. but that is not the bands decision it doesn't sound like.

The problem is that our student section sucks. It is tradition for it to suck. Since it is tradition, this statement isn't on our current students. The Underclassmen just haven't been taught how to be a good student section, because we have never had one.

Now, Some will say this was just a non-conference game, that means nothing. But when we were starting to make our run in the second half, and Southern had the ball, the student section never made any noise. Ridiculous. Luckily our team is good enough to overcome a crappy home crowd. I watched Kansas State Play there first non con game and there crowd was going nuts. I think our students need to take note of crowds like theirs. More synchronized chants, movements, and overall craziness all game.

The best thing our student section has is when somebody fouls out with the left, right chant. Kudos for that, but we need more. A lot more. Other teams need to be scared to play at Hilton. Right now it is just way to cuddly.

It got pretty loud at the 10:30 mark or whatever in the 2nd half...somewhat after Clyburn's facial of the Southern guy...besides that, it was quiet but the game was a non-conference game and was in-hand....wait til conference season to judge the students as the only marquee non-con home game is BYU and I doubt it will be a big crowd.

MissouriCyclone

Jul 24, 2011
Raleigh, North Carolina

The first "student section sucks" post. I applaud you sir.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
It got pretty loud at the 10:30 mark or whatever in the 2nd half...somewhat after Clyburn's facial of the Southern guy...besides that, it was quiet but the game was a non-conference game and was in-hand....wait til conference season to judge the students as the only marquee non-con home game is BYU and I doubt it will be a big crowd.

You're not the boss of me. I plan to judge the student section early and often.

I can't make the game Monday night, but I plan to judge the students on that one, too.

Skyh13

Mar 17, 2006
Learn something new everyday..... Today I learned that hockey had a pep band.

True story. And still has one. Granted, unlike the pep band and marching band, it's not a part of the music department; it's a student club.

beatiowa

Dec 21, 2008
Berkeley, CA
I guess I've never made it over to a hockey game. Quite sad since I'm a senior and will be gone in May. Got a friend in my studio class that is the goalie.

Still time! The season goes through February, and they've still got 10 or so home games left before then.

Hockey games are awesome, partly because no one gives enough of a **** to start internet threads about what they didn't like about the game when they get home. :wink:

KneeGusto

May 13, 2006
S̶q̶u̶a̶w̶ Ioway Creek
When the crowd was rockin' in the 80's with Johnny and not sitting on their hands, band antics were funny and fresh because Hilton was roaring. People that liked them had a good time. People that didn't like them couldn't hear them anyway. There were 14,125 (remember the fire code?) people on their feet yelling like crazy.

The band ain't Seinfeld. It's not a skit you have to pay attention to. It's not a spirit killing Apple Shuffle or Pump Up The Pasta B.S. Scoreboard skit. If you don't like it, make your own cheer. Our House did back in the day. (Okay - that dates me.)

This is the "Me" generation. You must entertain "me" and we will never try to make something up that is better. We just complain and complain and complain.

All we do is ***** about the stuff that is in front of us. We won't help. We won't use creativity. But by God, if someone else does, we'll complain about it!

It's all in the crowd's hands. If you want technotron Apple shuffles, applaud them. If you hate them, boo them. If the band does something wacky you object to, boo them. When they do something you approve of - actively support them. Real people will figure it out faster than marketing people.

cy4prez7

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2010
Des Moines
no you listen to yourself! bandies may be american. also in search of a dream that they actually effect the outcome of a game. but they are nothing like the rest of us. THEY HAVE BEEN LABELLED BAND "GEEKS" FOR A REASON!. generally the entire band knows nothing about the game of basketball and are just there to toot their horns. same as football. i've heard some of the absolutely dumbest crap come out of band members mouths at football games that its embarrassing. i dont care if they play, but if iowa state band members are the so called "pride of iowa state" then a requirement should be that our fans are actually proud of the stuff they do. please band. just keep it simple, play a few cool new tunes, play the fight song, yell loud (but not irrelevant crap) and enjoy cyclone athletics like normal people

Now this post just isn't accurate at all. Be ****** because we do stupid chants, that's fine. But you don't know who ins the band. The majority of the people in the band understand basketball and are very passionate about the team. It's a a little bit less when it comes to football because many do it to be in the band not watch the games, but when it comes to pep band, almost everyone does it because they love basketball. I wouldn't be generalizing the band when you actually have no idea. And to say we aren't proud of what we do is just unbelievable. Like I said, criticize our chants and cowbell all you want, but don't start making uneducated post about a band that you don't even know.