The beginning of the end for AM radio in vehicles?

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
I haven't listened to radio, AM or FM, for probably 3-4 years. Got blue tooth in the car and various "radio" apps on my phone to catch Cyclone games while driving if need be.

Reactions: Turn2

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Apple/Android car play is also going away soon. Manufacturers are developing their own service that requires a subsciption to use.

It's getting to the point where you will have to pay a subscription service to keep track and manage your subscriptions. It really does start to add up when you total it.

MeowingCows

Jun 1, 2015
Iowa
Great, now we'll start seeing old people listening to headphones while driving (connected to their battery-powered radio Walkmans)

DBQR4CY

Jun 7, 2013
Ankeny(By way of Dubuque)
Because they think they can get people to pay for it. Why do they bother developing navigation systems for cars when you have a perfectly good (or better) navigation system in your hand? Cause they can charge for it. Right now all industries are looking at ways to make everything subscription based to keep the money coming in. This is just another way to do that for auto makers.
You think people are gonna pay for AM radio as a prescription? What about Android Auto is a monthly fee?

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
You think people are gonna pay for AM radio as a prescription? What about Android Auto is a monthly fee?

No, the auto makers think they can get people to pay for their Android Auto replacement. First step is to remove Android Auto and Apple Carplay from their radios. Then they offer their own proprietary operator system that'll cost you $5 per month. Look no further than the 2024 Chevy plans to see step 1 starting.

somecyguy

Jun 19, 2006
No, the auto makers think they can get people to pay for their Android Auto replacement. First step is to remove Android Auto and Apple Carplay from their radios. Then they offer their own proprietary operator system that'll cost you $5 per month. Look no further than the 2024 Chevy plans to see step 1 starting.

I think you'll see those manufacturers who try that will eventually revert back. Internal development costs plus customer brand awareness regarding Auto/Carplay will force their hand. Ford has essentially admitted that already.

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
I think you'll see those manufacturers who try that will eventually revert back. Internal development costs plus customer brand awareness regarding Auto/Carplay will force their hand. Ford has essentially admitted that already.

I hope you're right. I think the biggest difference is that Ford was giving it away for free with their cars. If they tied feature sets to a subscription model, it may be worth it. The 2024 Chevys will be the test to see how much that matters to consumers.

I went through a similar thing with Toyota where they tied the remote start for Tacoma's (not sure if it was all models or just that) to a subscription. While I understand that for the use of the app, but the remote start from the keyfob also stopped working when your subscription to the app ran out. They caught enough heat from complaints that they changed that, but companies will continue to test those boundaries.

Cyclonetrombone

Aug 25, 2010
Madison, Wisconsin
Jim Noory and Art Bell, coast to coast radio was the program. A version of it still exists but not near as good.
Correct, but it is because it is syndicated so you have Art Bell talking about Y2K or Clinton on it... Its entertaining until you remember that was like 25 years ago and so their theories are just entertaining.

Kinch

Sep 19, 2021
Supposedly AM stations could tell you the promixity of tornadoes by the static. Same with TV. I remember KRNT teaching this every spring. Don’t know how accurate it was, but it was taught as though it was fact.

• Informative
Reactions: MeowingCows