The Fran fade is in full swing!

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
A broken clock is right twice a day, so eventually Iowa will defy odds and make a Sweet 16. That won't change the fact that we've made 3 with 3 different coaches.
A clock could be broken but still advancing, thus making it so the time is never right in a day. I imagine that explains Iowa and the Sweet 16.

Reactions: jsb

CySmurf

Jul 14, 2011
Consecutive tourney teams, 3, but never lost a first round game if they did make it.

There were several of his players that were easy to hate but they were generally respectable as a basketball team.
Tom's issue was the full court press that he constantly ran, that would work against inferior teams, completely disintegrated against better ball handling teams...yet he'd refuse to stop running it...

Tailg8er

Feb 25, 2011
Johnston
I have no idea why people keep saying Notre Dame wants him, he’s older than me, approaching Medicare age, is a crazed lunatic, and not that successful. This is not the image ND wishes to project.
Yeah, I can't imagine any team purposefully wanting that to be on your sidelines. That said, I don't know who else they're considering.

I also don't understand why a multi-millionaire 60 year old who clearly has anger control issues wouldn't just ride off into the sunset? Has more money than he could probably spend, just go sit on a beach for the next 20 years.

It's not like he's satisfying that competitive fire down in his loins, he's just embarrassing himself every time his antics get national criticism. And he can't win when it matters.

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
Yeah, I can't imagine any team purposefully wanting that to be on your sidelines. That said, I don't know who else they're considering.

I also don't understand why a multi-millionaire 60 year old who clearly has anger control issues wouldn't just ride off into the sunset? Has more money than he could probably spend, just go sit on a beach for the next 20 years.

It's not like he's satisfying that competitive fire down in his loins, he's just embarrassing himself every time his antics get national criticism. And he can't win when it matters.

Some of these ideas are crazy, but not as crazy as Mad Fran. An NBA coach or 70 year old former Michigan coach? But there are others like the Delaware coach or OK assistant that make sense for what Swarbrick seems to be looking at.

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
Lol Hawkeyes. Probably decided they would rather get rested up for their tourney run.

Reactions: NWICY

Mick Mars

Mar 19, 2017
Had to look up Dr. Tom stats he got to Sweet 16 or further in his first 2 years at Iowa so likely mostly with Raveling's players and then in his last season. So I guess I overplayed how good he was.

Still better than what Fran has done.
One thing that must not be overlooked in the Fran vs. TD argument is the quality of the league during both of their era's- the Big 10 in the 80's/90's was as good a league as any. The Big 10 as we know it in 2023 is nowhere near where it was during TD's time- it has been in a steady decline for several years now.

And TD had some class.

8bitnes

Nov 21, 2010
Last year they were too tired after their B1G tourney run...so if they don't do well next week it will be because of too much rest and being out of rhythm.
They will play the 8pm west coast game on the second day just to drive the point home

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
Mad Fran is going nowhere, his middle son has another season or two, and then his youngest son will be college age and signing with EIU. At his age, he can take them over another 12 million before he is finished and laugh all the way to the bank.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Was their excuse the stickers on the floor again? That was my favorite - when the decals apparently only made it impossible for them to play but had no affect on any other team (or before/since).

Wait...was this a thing?

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com

Needs to get that stream of sons through college for free

• Winner
Reactions: CascadeClone

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron