The GRE

clone2011

Dec 11, 2007
Anyone here taken the General GRE recently, preferably since it was revised/remade in 2011?

Advice? How long did you study, what did you use? I'm planning on taking it in November. Won't be applying to schools until winter 15/16, for Fall 2016 enrollment.

I was last in a college class in Fall 2010 (graduated from ISU in 2011 after internship semester). The verbal flashcards I have and the idea of writing an essay scare the crap out of me for the verbal & analytical writing sections. I feel a little better about the math stuff, but pretty sure my last math class was in high school. Had to use it in college for intro physics, biomechanics, etc. but even that was four years ago.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
Anyone here taken the General GRE recently, preferably since it was revised/remade in 2011?

Advice? How long did you study, what did you use? I'm planning on taking it in November. Won't be applying to schools until winter 15/16, for Fall 2016 enrollment.

I was last in a college class in Fall 2010 (graduated from ISU in 2011 after internship semester). The verbal flashcards I have and the idea of writing an essay scare the crap out of me for the verbal & analytical writing sections. I feel a little better about the math stuff, but pretty sure my last math class was in high school. Had to use it in college for intro physics, biomechanics, etc. but even that was four years ago.

Why not take it twice? First time is learning experience. The second time is the real deal. Or is your score averaged between the two?

Cyclonetrombone

Aug 25, 2010
Madison, Wisconsin
My younger brother just took these, I took mine back in 2007 so I am definitely out of the time frame but after the test I talked with him to get a feel since I helped him study for them to begin with.

Honestly with the essay the deal is being able to make a clear argument and pick a side. The punctuation and sentence structure are obviously part of their judgement but it is really about whether your argument is well defended.

He compared the flash cards and the resulting verbal segments to the ACT exam so if you were okay with that way back when then just study and go in with confidence. I'll ask about the math chunk.

Take the practice exams and don't get stressed out about them, its stress and doubting yourself that causes slip ups and bad scores.

Good luck!

Daserop

Feb 9, 2011
The Bebop
Why not take it twice? First time is learning experience. The second time is the real deal. Or is your score averaged between the two?

This. I went in blind the first time just to experience it. I was fortunate enough that I passed on the first try.

clone2011

Dec 11, 2007

Because it's $195 each time, and the closest testing center is a 6-hour roundtrip drive, so including gas probably a $300 expense. I don't have a lot of discretionary income. With my timeline, I'll have time to take it a second time if needed, but I'd rather not spend an extra $300.

Agkistrodon

Feb 14, 2009
I took the GRE twice. I didn't really study for it either time. They will send you a disk of practice exams when you register. I just did one of the example/practice exams the night before I took the real exam. I actually did worse on the exam the second time I took it. There's really no reason to stress out over this exam because in most disciplines it will not help/harm you unless you do exceptionally good/bad.

The writing section is easy. I scored 5.5/6 both times. I know someone who didn't even do one of the two essays you are supposed to write and still scored 4.5/6.

The math section is a joke. The math on the SAT or ACT is much more difficult than the GRE. I only took one calculus class in college (which did not help me in any way because none of the questions involved calculus) and received nearly a perfect score.

The verbal section is the true gauntlet of the exam. Almost everyone does poorly on this part. Unless you want to memorize a thesaurus there's almost no hope for this part of the exam.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
If the essays are organized with a clear point, you'll be good to go.

The GRE is essentially a waste of time that admission committees don't really care much about. Just need a score that looks competent and doesn't eliminate you as a student. Otherwise, it really doesn't do anything for you or to you.

ISUAgronomist

Nov 5, 2009
On the farm, IA
If the essays are organized with a clear point, you'll be good to go.

The GRE is essentially a waste of time that admission committees don't really care much about. Just need a score that looks competent and doesn't eliminate you as a student. Otherwise, it really doesn't do anything for you or to you.

This is why I didn't study. I knew I'd get a high enough score to not eliminate myself.

RayShimley

Sep 9, 2008
White Bear Lake, MN
This is why I didn't study. I knew I'd get a high enough score to not eliminate myself.

I was the same, but it may depend on the type of program you're going into. I was in the Life Sciences and usually in those type of programs you are being recruited by a particular professor (especially at the PhD level) and they only really care that you meet whatever minimum standard the Grad College sets and not completely flub on your interview. I'm not sure how it works in other disciplines.

Also, as others have said, the essay is a joke. ISU didn't even care about my written score (as long as it was in the top 50% I believe), all they cared about was the combined verbal/analytical score.

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
I have sons who have taken it in 2011 and this summer. The math must be really easy, both got a 170, although they are in STEM fields. Essay also pretty low key as long as you can make a logical argument.

Both of them studying by doing practice questions. They both used a cheap book and did the online test you get access to when you register. Book came with CD with more tests.

Son knows a kid who has been studying for this for months, finds it a bit mind boggling. ETS has plenty of resources on their website.

I believe with their Score Select option if you take the test more than once, you can designate what gets sent, but look at their website for details. One kid took the Physics subject GRE, that a whole world more difficult.

I know someone who took it at UNI and got the whole retinal scan thing or whatever. My kids took it in WDM and they just took a photo of them

Stumbles

Feb 17, 2012
Cleveland Heights, OH
I took the GRE 10 years ago, and I do not know what was changed, but I will agree, the verbal section was brutal, at least for someone who had not taken an English class since high school. Still managed a 580. The math section was incredibly easy. It should have been as an engineering undergrad. Scored a perfect 800.

I wished I prepared for it.