*****The Super, Mega, Huge Big 12 Expansion Thread*****

• We Will Collective May Donor Drive - Last Day, Help Needed!

We're in the final hours of a critical push to signup donors for the May Donor Drive. Let your Cyclone friends know!

Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Doctor

Aug 19, 2011
Re: B-12 is Dead

Somewhat kidding with the above, but what did you expect everyone with a viable option to do? Wait around to see how it plays out.

We're the fattest kid in gym class.

Of course the others are going to get picked first.

shawn_200m

Apr 10, 2006
Tipton, IA
@PeteThamelNYT
Pete Thamel
Nugget #2 Oklahoma reached out to the Pac-12 more than two weeks ago. This wasn't sudden.

This info just makes my blood boil. All the while OU was telling the other schools how "solid" they were and that they were trying to expand the league, all while plotting their exit to the PAC. I now have the same hatred for them as I do for A&M.

BenedictusDeus

Sep 5, 2011
Just Dreaming...(Re: Conference Realignment)

Since I haven't seen it mentioned I thought I would throw out an idea. Maybe someone can explain why its not a realistic possibility.

The Big 10 adds Missouri, ISU, KSU, and Kansas to go to 16. This creates two divisions divided as such.
ISU
Iowa
Minnesota
Wisky
KSU
Kansas
Mizzou
Nebraska

OSU
Michigan
MSU
Purdue
Illinois
Penn State
Indiana
Northwestern

I know this doesn't add many huge tv markets to the Big 10 but they would completely own the Midwest (all of Iowa, Kansas, Mizzou, Nebraska, etc.) Maybe they aren't big markets but they are college dominated markets. For instance, if the Big 10 were to pick up Pitt or Cuse, although their market is huge, aren't you competing against a lot of other interests. Plus, and why I like it the most, is that it is a geographically sound conference. Again, I know this might be insanely naive, but I would like to find out why.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
Re: Just Dreaming...(Re: Conference Realignment)

The Big10 will never allow ISU in. They already have the TV in IA.
There is a chance. There are not that many schools out there with academics and the last time I looked, B1G said they were interested in academics.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
I don't see why don't talk to the Big East about adding more schools than 12.

Or try to lobby over KSU. They bring nothing over us in terms of media share, with KU on the table.

Finally, pray for Mizzou to the SEC.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
This is our best shot of landing in an AQ conference. If Mizzou doesn't go to the SEC we are in serious trouble.

Several more options:
1) Convince Big East to go to 14.

2) Lobby over KSU. ISU, KU, Mizzou delivers 3,000,000 more people to the footprint than ISU, KU, Mizzou. KU has made it clear that they aren't going to demand K-State follow them. We need to take advantage of that. The media and fans like the idea of K-State because they've been better on the field recently, but they aren't calling the shots on that.

colbycheese

Jun 11, 2010
Kansas
twitter.com

Or try to lobby over KSU. They bring nothing over us in terms of media share, with KU on the table.

I think we'll have a spot waiting should everything go bad. Consider this, The SEC needs a 14th member. There is very little chance that any ACC schools get raided by the SEC (reasons were outlined well by Frank the Tank). I completely agree for the one simple reason that it is easier to go undefeated on the road to a national championship game through the ACC than through a bigger SEC. That leaves the SEC with two options for teams outside of their current footpring - take Mizzou, or take one of the Big East football members. Either way, there would be one Big East chair left when the music stops.

HoopsTournament

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 12, 2006
St. Joseph, MO
www.hoopstournament.net

How do we know that the Big East is not talking about more than 12? We are not privy to what is going on behind close doors. Big East commissioner seems to be as silent as JP. I think a 16 team football with 24 team BB conference could work as I outlined in the ISU to Big East Thread.

DRCHIRO

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 13, 2008
Several more options:
1) Convince Big East to go to 14.

2) Lobby over KSU. ISU, KU, Mizzou delivers 3,000,000 more people to the footprint than ISU, KU, Mizzou. KU has made it clear that they aren't going to demand K-State follow them. We need to take advantage of that. The media and fans like the idea of K-State because they've been better on the field recently, but they aren't calling the shots on that.

This is huge. Kansas may lobby for them but it will not be a deal breaker imo.

-ISU brings in another market
-Academics far superior
-Its not like they are head and shoulders much better than us athletically.

fwiw

May 20, 2009
The wildcard in the shakeup is Notre Dame and the B1G. The conference has stated they're happy at 12 ... but that was before Armageddon in the B12 and expansion elsewhere.

Does ND take a spot on the way to 16? That leaves 3 potential opening for B12 orphans. You'd have to assume Mizzou and KU would take 2 of the 3 spots. That leaves the last spot between ISU and K-State.

And where is the NCAA in all this? Haven't heard a peep from them the entire time. Or did I miss something?

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
How do we know that the Big East is not talking about more than 12? We are not privy to what is going on behind close doors. Big East commissioner seems to be as silent as JP. I think a 16 team football with 24 team BB conference could work as I outlined in the ISU to Big East Thread.

We don't.

As usual, the media is telling us that ISU is screwed. This isn't coming from anyone making decisions on these matters.

I think that would bolster the Big East and give it some padding in case of future raiding.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
We don't.

As usual, the media is telling us that ISU is screwed. This isn't coming from anyone making decisions on these matters.

I think that would bolster the Big East and give it some padding in case of future raiding.

Its a little funny that the same media that thinks everyone is going to be in a race to 16 is the same media that thinks big east goes no more than 12

Status
Not open for further replies.