*****The Super, Mega, Huge Big 12 Expansion Thread*****

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mizzoulander

Sep 28, 2011
BYU officially says "NO THANKS" to the Service Academy Conference, I mean Big East Conference. They never gave the Big 12 an official yes or no in the whole feeling out process.

I still think BYU/BSU or BYU/AFA is similar in value to Louisville/Cincy. There are plusses and minuses with either one. If you go to 14 that's your 4.

Big 12 is still not being predatory at all. The ACC took 6 teams from the Big East. The Big 12 simply took the one best athletic program available to replace a defector when it could have easily taken another 1-4 teams the Big East needs to be relevant.

TCU never played a Big East game and they're a more logical fit in the Big 12. That was just timing, not poaching.

"Predatory" is in the eye of the beholder. To the supporters of the Big East (all 50 of them), the Big 12 is no different than the ACC. The B12 encouraged the defection of 2 of their members (even though TCU never played a game, they were still desired by the BE). And they don't seem to care that WVU is ignoring their bylaws in the move. If (according to Neinas) eight months is too short of a time for the Big 12 to adjust to losing a member, why isn't it too short for the Big East?

To others, the SEC isn't predatory at all. They decided to accept entry from two schools that desperately wanted out of the Big 12. Maybe TAMU and MU wouldn't have left without an SEC invite, but they wouldn't have stopped trying to get out. That's not really "poaching" either.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
No thanks on Cinci. I'd rather have any number of available teams including BYU, Rutgers, New Mexico, Memphis, USF, UCF, Tulane, Boise State, Air Force, UConn, etc.

BYU isnt happening. Theyre coming in with a bunch of demands and even the big east doesnt want them.

Rutgers and UConn will likely go ACC before B12 if it has a choice. New Mexico? A team averaging 1 win a year the last 3? Boise and Memphis, horrible academically. Air Force has publicly said they have no interest in the big 12 (dont think they could compete since their recruiting has a ceiling).

Getting into FL may not be a bad option. If we went to 14 and did louisville, cincy, usf, ucf, id be fine with it.

Last edited:

Arkansas Cyclone

Nov 25, 2006
Bentonville, Arkansas
BYU officially says "NO THANKS" to the Service Academy Conference, I mean Big East Conference. They never gave the Big 12 an official yes or no in the whole feeling out process.

I still think BYU/BSU or BYU/AFA is similar in value to Louisville/Cincy. There are plusses and minuses with either one. If you go to 14 that's your 4.

Big 12 is still not being predatory at all. The ACC took 6 teams from the Big East. The Big 12 simply took the one best athletic program available to replace a defector when it could have easily taken another 1-4 teams the Big East needs to be relevant.

TCU never played a Big East game and they're a more logical fit in the Big 12. That was just timing, not poaching.

I still think there's a chance some or all of these CUSA and MWC schools realize they're MUCH better off going with their original idea of a championship game and mega conference with a huge east and west division for football only.

Didn't AFA already say they're not interested in the Big 12 based on the fact that they couldn't compete as far as recruiting goes?

Cyclonestate78

May 23, 2008
"Predatory" is in the eye of the beholder. To the supporters of the Big East (all 50 of them), the Big 12 is no different than the ACC. The B12 encouraged the defection of 2 of their members (even though TCU never played a game, they were still desired by the BE). And they don't seem to care that WVU is ignoring their bylaws in the move. If (according to Neinas) eight months is too short of a time for the Big 12 to adjust to losing a member, why isn't it too short for the Big East?

To others, the SEC isn't predatory at all. They decided to accept entry from two schools that desperately wanted out of the Big 12. Maybe TAMU and MU wouldn't have left without an SEC invite, but they wouldn't have stopped trying to get out. That's not really "poaching" either.

The SEC isn't predatory. A&M and Mizzou are guilty as charged of being complete ******* that can't compete on the football field so they figured they might as well make a desperation move to try and gain some sense of value by jumping to the SEC. Their level of douchbaggery matches that of Nebraska who also jumped because they couldn't compete.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
Yep, the photo confirms. I am thinking Rutgers over Cincy but to make 12, I could see Cincy. Many others have flaws too. Maybe Colorado might have to come back. They look torched this year.

CrossCyed

Mar 30, 2006
I could also see us going to just 11. The most elegant solution is Cinci as well, however.

Ha, love the comments on the Deadspin story on the new Big 12 logo in the WVU practice facility:

"Oh man. That's coal'd."

"This move is not a miner incident."

CyFan61

Oct 25, 2010
I think many are missing the benefits of a divisional alignment with 12 teams. Even if we don't get the ideal "North" division of KU, KSU, L'Ville, WVU, and Cincy (which I still think is possible), a divisional alignment GREATLY increases our chance of winning the conference. Instead of finishing 1st among 12 over a 9 game schedule, we just need to finish 1st among 6 and then win one more game. We would have a legitimate shot at some point, whereas now a Big 12 Conference championship is closer to a pipe dream than realistic. The money would end up being a wash at worst, too, with increased revenue from a title game. I want L'Ville and Cincy now, but if the conference wants to wait until we redo Tier I rights, I guess that's alright too.

cyman05

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 7, 2010
@wilnerhotline
Jon Wilner
Source: "The ACC will go to 16.''

@wilnerhotline
Jon Wilner
Also told that ADs from FBS schools believe Rutgers & UConn could head to ACC and BE would cease to exist as fball conf

===============

Those teams announce plans to jump, B12 extends lifevests to Louisville & Cinci for a later date no blood on the b12 hands for killing the BE

WVU is no longer on a island.Simple yes?

North

WVU
Louisville
Cinci
ISU
KU
KSU

South

OU
Texas
TCU
OSU
Baylor
Tech

Seems simple WVU wont be on a island & would have regional games, if we wanted to 14 in 2015 we could easily with the Florida twins (USF,UCF), just move KSU to the South

1. First we get the report from the Vandy AD that the SEC is thinking about going to 16.

2. Then we hear Boren's public comments about Rutgers and Louisville to the Big 12.

3. Then we hear BYU (and maybe Boise now) will say no to the Big East which will kill the conference.

4. Now we hear the ACC is set to pick off UConn and Rutgers.

All this within a week. Storm is a brewin again.

Here are my questions:

1. Notre Dame??? Sounds like the ACC train is leaving the station.

2. Are conferences assuming that a move to 16 will somehow let them create a conference 4 team playoff to get more TV dollars? If so, all the Big boy conferences will want to get to 16 not to be left behind in the TV dollars race.

3. If the ACC is the first to 16, do they lock their teams up somehow so they don't get picked off by the SEC and Big 10? Is the ACC making this move because of SEC rumblings that the SEC is trying to steal two of the following: Clemson/FSU/Va Tech/Georgia Tech?

4. If the Big 10 goes to 16 in a few years, is ISU considered?

5. What happens to the Big East leftovers?

6. What happens in the BCS reform? How does this affect conference expansion?

UConn, Rutgers Could Still Join ACC - The Hub - SB Nation Boston

Reactions: URBCLONE

URBCLONE

Mar 26, 2006
Urbandale
I think many are missing the benefits of a divisional alignment with 12 teams. Even if we don't get the ideal "North" division of KU, KSU, L'Ville, WVU, and Cincy (which I still think is possible), a divisional alignment GREATLY increases our chance of winning the conference. Instead of finishing 1st among 12 over a 9 game schedule, we just need to finish 1st among 6 and then win one more game. We would have a legitimate shot at some point, whereas now a Big 12 Conference championship is closer to a pipe dream than realistic. The money would end up being a wash at worst, too, with increased revenue from a title game. I want L'Ville and Cincy now, but if the conference wants to wait until we redo Tier I rights, I guess that's alright too.

Yes, this is exactly right. I want UC, UL, UCONN, and Rutgers and heck, I wouldn't mind going to 16. Strength in numbers in case UT or OU start getting twitchy again.

BTW - looks like the B1G is standing at 12 (probably only exception will be ND)
Delany, Big Ten not thinking big - College Football - Rivals.com

Now, to add to the mix the ACC says it is going to 16 as well:

So, the SEC wants to go to 16, the ACC wants to go to 16, B1G is standing at 12, P12 is standing at 12. Given the schools remaining, seems to me that the best course is for the B12 to invite the teams it wants NOW before they are gone to either the SEC or ACC. Unless of course the SEC plans to take schools like Va Tech from the ACC:
Virginia Tech Football: 5 Reasons the Hokies Will End Up in the SEC » College Football Daily News - Get all your football news on one site

Some of the things I've read suggest that the B12 missed out on Pitt because they waited. Would hate to see history repeat itself.

Just for the sake of argument, Bleacher Report believes there are a number of other schools that could step up to a AQ league. I prefer the BE leftovers to this group, but had the B12 gone W instead of E - a number of these schools probably would have been targets.
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...ho-could-make-great-bcs-aq-conference-members

Last edited:

HoopsTournament

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 12, 2006
St. Joseph, MO
www.hoopstournament.net
The conferences CAN create a playoff now. There is no magical thing about 16 team leagues ESPECIALLY since we are on track to FIVE of them, not FOUR. That is the biggest brainwashing the media has ever succeeded at making people believe that super conferences and a playoff is correlated.

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
I think the conference wants to wait to see if Notre Dame is available. It's no secret that their national TV ratings have been down significantly in recent years, and their contract with NBC expires around the same time our next Tier I deal is supposed to begin. Their games do not get more eyeballs than all the other teams any more, which was the key reason NBC originally signed the deal. And it is such a small inventory--NBC has a much larger potential for slots to fill. With Comcast regional sports channels around the country, Versus cable sports, and NBC having no football except for ND and Sunday night NFL, I can see NBC jumping into the bidding war for Big 12 football.

Notre Dame could potentially find greater financial reward in being part of the Big 12 for football than renegotiating another extension with NBC. I think both the Big 12 and Notre Dame know it. Of course, many ND alums believe their independence in football is more important than anything, so ultimately something has to give.

We will see....

cyman05

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 7, 2010
The conferences CAN create a playoff now. There is no magical thing about 16 team leagues ESPECIALLY since we are on track to FIVE of them, not FOUR. That is the biggest brainwashing the media has ever succeeded at making people believe that super conferences and a playoff is correlated.

In my post I was talking about a playoff within a single conference. To do that you'd have to allow the possibility of 14 regular season games, and you'd have to have non-playoff teams within a conference finish their seasons the Saturday before Thanksgiving weekend. That would all eliminate bye weeks for all teams within conferences who go that route.

SD4CY

Nov 21, 2011
Sioux Falls

I completely agree that we need to get back to a divisional alignment but what I do think will happen is that when we get there, the Big 12 will split UT and OU. I believe that it will follow the B10 model of having a rivalry game that pits each team against one team from the other division each year. To be honest, from a league standpoint this is probably for the best because they will have a chance to have a national title contender most years.

Mizzoulander

Sep 28, 2011
Yes, this is exactly right. I want UC, UL, UCONN, and Rutgers and heck, I wouldn't mind going to 16. Strength in numbers in case UT or OU start getting twitchy again.

BTW - looks like the B1G is standing at 12 (probably only exception will be ND)
Delany, Big Ten not thinking big - College Football - Rivals.com

Now, to add to the mix the ACC says it is going to 16 as well:

So, the SEC wants to go to 16, the ACC wants to go to 16, B1G is standing at 12, P12 is standing at 12. Given the schools remaining, seems to me that the best course is for the B12 to invite the teams it wants NOW before they are gone to either the SEC or ACC. Unless of course the SEC plans to take schools like Va Tech from the ACC:
Virginia Tech Football: 5 Reasons the Hokies Will End Up in the SEC » College Football Daily News - Get all your football news on one site

Some of the things I've read suggest that the B12 missed out on Pitt because they waited. Would hate to see history repeat itself.

Just for the sake of argument, Bleacher Report believes there are a number of other schools that could step up to a AQ league. I prefer the BE leftovers to this group, but had the B12 gone W instead of E - a number of these schools probably would have been targets.
12 Little-Discussed Schools That Could Make Great BCS AQ Conference Members | Bleacher Report

I don't think that there's a huge rush for the Big 12 to expand back to 12 teams...at least not to head off another conference's move.

1. The ACC, SEC, and Big 12 are not likely to target the same schools for expansion. If/when the SEC goes to 16, all of the speculation has been for 2 teams from NC and VA (NCSt. and VATech?), or the Oklahoma schools. If the SEC wanted WVU, it had plenty of opportunity to take them. L-ville and Cincy wouldn't be considered. The ACC is looking to the Big East members of the Northeast. The Big 12 seems to be the only one (other than the sinking Big East) interested in L-ville, Cincy, BYU, and the others.

I really don't understand Boren's thinking. He's been (literally) all over the map on the issue of expansion. OU to the Pac-12, then back to the Big 12. Yes to L-ville, no to L-ville. Now yes to Rutgers and UConn. What a tool.

2. The B12 can't expand now without every team taking a haircut on TV revenue. Apparently the networks won't redo the deal for more money with the new teams. Is any team available that is worth a short-term hit in the budget? I don't know, but it doesn't seem like it.
I think the Big 12 missed out on Pitt because of the uncertainty about the conference's future at the time. No school was willing to jump out of an AQ conference into the Big 12 until the governance issues were addressed.

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
IMO, the Big 12 is good with 10 teams and will add 2 more teams when we negotiate the new Tier 1 contract in a few years. The 10 teams we have now will stay.

The EXIT Money from Mizzou and aTm will sure be nice. Hopefully around $28 Million from each. Glad that EXIT Money is not an issue and they will just make out the check instead of whining to try and get it lowered.

Mizzoulander

Sep 28, 2011
IMO, the Big 12 is good with 10 teams and will add 2 more teams when we negotiate the new Tier 1 contract in a few years. The 10 teams we have now will stay.

The EXIT Money from Mizzou and aTm will sure be nice. Hopefully around $28 Million from each. Glad that EXIT Money is not an issue and they will just make out the check instead of whining to try and get it lowered.

Just so we're clear (although after you've posted the same thing fourteen times you'd think that it would be)...

I don't think either team pays the full $26-$28M. I'd be upset as a fan if Missouri just cut a check to this dysfunctional conference without ANY attempt at negotiation. Better to preserve resources for the athletic dept, rather than put another coat of paint on the Titanic. :smile:

But whether its $28M or $18M or whatever, it won't be an issue. Missouri has said so publically. And even if Missouri couldn't afford $28M (like Colorado), what's the Big 12 going to do? Keep them around?

I just want to know one thing, Stormin: *IF* TAMU and MU "get off" with a negotiated exit fee in the $10M-$20M range, who are you more frustrated with? The departing schools for not wanting to overpay, or the league for letting them off?

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
Just so we're clear (although after you've posted the same thing fourteen times you'd think that it would be)...

I don't think either team pays the full $26-$28M. I'd be upset as a fan if Missouri just cut a check to this dysfunctional conference without ANY attempt at negotiation. Better to preserve resources for the athletic dept, rather than put another coat of paint on the Titanic. :smile:

But whether its $28M or $18M or whatever, it won't be an issue. Missouri has said so publically. And even if Missouri couldn't afford $28M (like Colorado), what's the Big 12 going to do? Keep them around?

I just want to know one thing, Stormin: *IF* TAMU and MU "get off" with a negotiated exit fee in the $10M-$20M range, who are you more frustrated with? The departing schools for not wanting to overpay, or the league for letting them off?

There should be NO negotiation. Both teams knew the EXIT Fees when they decided to leave. It is pretty simple. Make out the check.

If the Big 12 for some reason will not be able to get WVU for the coming year and the TV contracts are lowered, is Mizzou prepared to make up the shortfall since it was their leaving that caused the problem?

You have brought up the CU and NU exit fees saying that is what Mizzou should pay. In that case the TV contracts remained the same and the remaining teams actually made more money by those teams leaving. Plus Misery acted like a scumbag in this whole ordeal.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.