West Virginia

SOUTH:

Baylor
Oklahoma
Oklahoma State
Texas
TCU
Texas Tech

It's crass of me, but **** having "football only" and "all but football" schools. In my opinion, that's the last thing a successful conference needs.

ricochet

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2008
FSU and Miami should be looked at as a package deal. Bringing that rivalry to the Big 12 would be very valuable.

I seem to be in the minority, but I don't have much interest in Miami. FSU and Clemson would be great. If we picked more ACC schools I'd prefer Virginia, Virginia Tech, Maryland, or Georgia Tech (not necessarily in that order) - even North Carolina or NC State - over Miami. I think we have enough private schools as is.

megamanxzero35

May 31, 2011
I seem to be in the minority, but I don't have much interest in Miami. FSU and Clemson would be great. If we picked more ACC schools I'd prefer Virginia, Virginia Tech, Maryland, or Georgia Tech (not necessarily in that order) - even North Carolina or NC State - over Miami. I think we have enough private schools as is.
Yeah, only one school per state because that seems to be the reason for expansion. Getting more markets. I don't know how much adding 2 schools from the same state means.

Friday night stars: California and Texas produce most NFL talent - Shutdown Corner - NFL Blog - Yahoo! Sports

Thinking about markets and recruiting, GT would be a good choice. Atlanta market and recruiting grounds. Maryland and a Virginia school would be next. In my opinion of course.

snowcraig2.0

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 2, 2007
Cedar Rapids, IA

None of those schools you mention have interest in the Big 12. It appears that Miami would at least listen.

Not to mention, Miami is still a brand name in CFB.

Hurtlocker

Apr 10, 2012
I know I'm gonna get blasted for this (it'll create more instability blah blah blah), but I always liked the idea of a BYU - Notre Dame package deal. BYU football only & Notre Dame all other sports on the condition they schedule a rotating home & away football series with 3 Big XII teams every couple years. Throw in Louisville and we're back to twelve (+1) teams. I'd love to see ND in Jack Trice. You may say I'm a dreamer...

That's the main problem though, ND doesn't want to play in anything, but big games. I can see having to play any of the less prestigious football schools as a deal breaker.

Hurtlocker

Apr 10, 2012
FSU and Miami should be looked at as a package deal. Bringing that rivalry to the Big 12 would be very valuable.

The only problem being Miami's Booster issues. They may get a severe beat down because of it. Also Miami is a private school. A lot on the FSU boards don't see why they need to be tied at the hip and its not like they aren't in a good conference, like when VTech went to the ACC due to legislative schinanigins

Hurtlocker

Apr 10, 2012
My ideal new Big 12 at this point:

Big 12 East

Louisville
WVU
Florida State
Clemson
Miami
Baylor
Texas

West

Texas Tech
TCU
Oklahoma
Oklahoma State
Kansas
Kansas State
Iowa State

I thought something similar, but had an OU guy point out to me that OU and Texas won't be in difference divisions because they don't want to have to play twice to win a CCG. Also, if they are in opposite division, but always playing the Red River (which won't be turned off, like it wasn't when the Big12 was formed) they have to play the hardest teams in their division AND Texas every year, making it a harder path.

I also can't see ISU/KSU/KU being broke up due to the little pod around KC, but wouldn't be surprised if it did happen.

Hurtlocker

Apr 10, 2012
This^^^^ I think people on this board undervalue Louisville

I don't think they are undervalued, I just think they were valued higher when the league was worth $15M a year for Tier 1&2 and not as high when it was leaked we could be in the $19-21M range. I personally don't see UL being able to join at that rate AND make it so that the pie doesn't shrink. I tend to believe they are good fill now. If you add a big name you can round out with them and not lose value.

I do think they'd be a great add if you had some SE teams join, if for no other reason than their vicious SEC rival in Kentucky. I'd like to see the Big12 do a content agreement with the SEC like B1G has with the Pac. Let's go pick up all the open rivals. ;)

Hurtlocker

Apr 10, 2012

I agree to some degree, at least with Miami. My list would be:

FSU brings Florida and rivals with UF
GTech Atlanta is the key to the south
Clemson located between Charlotte and Atlanta and rivals with UGA and SC
Maryland beat up program at the moment, but located in a ginormous market and natural rivals/travel partner for WVU
Pitt rival with WVU and ND and closer travel, nice market and they were originally supposed to be asked with WVU, until the Pac talk scared them away
VTech rival with WVU, but seriously doubt they'll ever move after what they had to do to get into the ACC
Louisville I see Louisville as a growth school if they were in a big conference, like TCU, but you don't lead with them
NCState Gets a foothold in NC
Rutgers NYC, period
Miami nice market, lots of talent, but a small private school with a lot of Booster problems currently. I doubt they'll get the death penalty, but it could be messy

I left off UVA, UNC and the other northern schools off because I doubt they'd ever leave. If we did get two of the schools, or even four, I see the ACC picking up Rutgers and UConn and not missing a beat or losing money.

Hurtlocker

Apr 10, 2012
I think that FSU and Clemson might show interest when ACC becomes more of a basketball conference and hurts their chances at the 4-team playoff AND will have a smaller TV contract.

I agree, if SOS is a big factor in the new NCG format, the ACC will be at a huge disadvantage. ISU, at 6-7 had a power rating higher than 60% of the ACC last year.

Mesaclone1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 9, 2009
Mesa, AZ
Seems to me we should all let the founder of this thread, Clonefan4, have the honor of the 20,000th post.

Status
Not open for further replies.