The three Cyclone basketball players who made you the fan you are today

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
Ronnie Harris, Barry Stevens & Jeff Hornacek

Plus the GODFATHER- Johnny Orr
No other 6'3 Cyclone in history had to guard so many 6'8 - 6'9 power forwards as Johnny's first recruit, Ronnie Harris. He really could guard 1 to 4. I played ball against him a number of times - he def could guard me, too :)

Harris was a total foundational piece to ISU gaining respectability under Johnny.

Last edited:

GetAwesome

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 29, 2010
Cedar Falls, IA
Great thread idea.

My fam never attended bball games growing up, but my first memories of Cyclone basketball was watching Big Vic. Though I'd say my love of Hilton Magic starts with Hoiberg, Cato, and Vroman.

Special shoutout to the Lifetime Achievement Award for always looking like he's wearing his dad's jersey: Jacy Holloway.

Reactions: NWICY and Die4Cy

Cyientist

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 18, 2013
Ankeny
So many, it is a tough call! I can slightly remember Big Vic and Justice Thigpen. Really liked Hoiberg and Loren Meyers, but I'd say Willoughby, Tinsley, and Fizer were really during my formative years.

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
No other 6'3 Cyclones in history had to guard so many 6'8 - 6'9 power forwards as Johnny's first recruit, Ronnie Harris. He really could guard 1 to 4. I played ball against him a number of times - he def could guard me, too :)

Harris was a total foundational piece to ISU gaining respectability under Johnny.

Yep. Harris was one tough dude. He was a 6'3" PF.

Reactions: Nococy

CyState85

May 8, 2019
I played 9 holes of golf with Johnny Orr when I was 9 or 10. I learned many new words that day!

I’d have to pick Jacy Holloway because I was never allowed to shoot on my basketball team. The other two would have to be Stevie Johnson and Kenny Pratt—-all 3 guys were undersized but just outworked everybody.

Reactions: NWICY and Williowa

CyGuy5

Dec 4, 2013
Kansas City
Jake Sullivan: the first Iowa State player I remember really liking when I was growing up

Scott Christopherson: I was in 6th grade, we scored free tickets to the senior night game vs Baylor. Watching him kiss the logo that night is a sneaky good all time ISU moment

George Niang: I don’t think I even have to say something for him

Reactions: NWICY and Cyclone06

Clyde4cy

Oct 22, 2018
I was already a big fan, but there was no bigger example of being a Cyclone at the time than Dedric Willoughby. He was electric, fit the team well, and was light's out from 3.
Willoughby averaged nearly 25 pts per game in his 5 NCCA tournament games. That is a whole lot in a Tim Floyd offense.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron