The vote of confidence...

Chipper

Dec 8, 2008
Feel like it's getting forgotten in Pollard's statement.

The line about costing coaches and ADs their job. Anybody else take it as Pollard's proverbial wagon might be hitched to Rhoad's horse more than first thought?

Cyked15

Jan 27, 2012
Rhoads isn't going anywhere unless he does it himself, We aren't in a position to buyout his contract and put up a competitive offer for a coach that could do any better.

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
Yup he is hitched to him. If anything because we can't afford the buy out. Not to mention you have a nearly completely new coaching staff this year.

fsanford

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 22, 2007
Los Angeles

The line about costing coaches and ADs their job. Anybody else take it as Pollard's proverbial wagon might be hitched to Rhoad's horse more than first thought?

Usually a vote of confidence is a death sentence for a coach. But in ISU's case, Rhoads is not going anywhere for a long time even if they average 4 wins the next 3 years.

Unless some other school hires him away. But I don't think there are any Creighton's types out there looking at the ISU football coach.

BKLYNCyclone

Sep 16, 2007
Twin Cities, MN
I read that more as him having to defend Rhoads than anything else. JP is safe. He's done an incredible amount for the university and athletic department as a whole, at least after the initial misfires. It would take a lot more than sounding off in support of his coaches and players to see him go.

I have very little doubt that if Rhoads doesn't turn it around in the next two seasons, he'll be on the hot seat, JP support or no. As long as Mangino doesn't get hired away before he can impact the program significantly, I think he'll turn it around.

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
A lot of times you hear GMs get two coach hires, and this is Jamie's 2nd in the biggest sport. I think Jamie has had more than enough success in other areas to justify a 3rd if need be.

RubyClone

Mar 21, 2014
Pollard is not that hitched to Rhoads. He still has Freddie to lean back on. He's still somewhat untouchable IMO.

But his speech did lose a bit of credibility when he started talking about job protection. Came off as a bit self-serving.

Gossamer

Apr 10, 2014
JP is safe regardless. The money he's bringing in will cover his butt for situations like this and when he ultimately fires CPR.

CapnCy

Jul 6, 2010
I see it as a vote of confidence. And, remember, JP knows WAY more than any of us ever will about the inner workings of the football program. I guarantee he works closely with his employees for outcomes based goals, but they are not ALL W/Ls.

Use the Texas game last year, it's safe to say that WOULD have been a W. While 4-8 doesn't sound much better than 3-9, I think what he was trying to say is sometimes it can come down to a bad call. If CPR was fired in two years, no one qualifies his 2013 record with an asterisk.

I know it's been debated, discussed, and everything inbetween, but I also believe that JP gets that we need something special in a coach beyond Wins and Losses. Look at KU......they have NOTHING exciting happening....we are filling the stands. I know wins need to come..but something the last few years also got us a new SEZ.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota

No way they are tiered at all. Rhoads so far has failed to win or improve recruiting but he has those couple signature upsets and did renew fan interest. If he can't get beyond 3-9 or 4-8 he will be gone in a few years.

Pollard has an athletic program overall that ranks in the Top 40 (#34 last year out of 258 Div I schools last season) while on what is probably barely a Top 100 budget. Overall we are in our best shape ever. He is not going anywhere unless he wants to.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
Pollard won't fire CPR until it is necessary financially. We could probably go winless the rest of the year and ticket sales will still be bouyed by the stadium renovation. Plus this team is good enough to string together a few wins at the end of the season again to get everyone hopeful for next year. CPR won't be on the hot seat until 2016 at the earliest.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
I read that more as him having to defend Rhoads than anything else. JP is safe. He's done an incredible amount for the university and athletic department as a whole, at least after the initial misfires. It would take a lot more than sounding off in support of his coaches and players to see him go.

I have very little doubt that if Rhoads doesn't turn it around in the next two seasons, he'll be on the hot seat, JP support or no. As long as Mangino doesn't get hired away before he can impact the program significantly, I think he'll turn it around.

CPR is already on a semi warm hot seat. If you win three a season, normally you do not last long today. His long term contract is saving him the heat from the seat.

So what incident happened in the locker room at halftime?

SCNCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 11, 2009
La Fox, IL
CPR is already on a semi warm hot seat. If you win three a season, normally you do not last long today. His long term contract is saving him the heat from the seat.

So what incident happened in the locker room at halftime?

I am curious about this too. JP did mention that something was going on in the locker room at half-time. My assumption is that the players felt they got robbed on the touchdown and these kinds of things are putting their toll on the team emotionally. Just my speculation.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
I am curious about this too. JP did mention that something was going on in the locker room at half-time. My assumption is that the players felt they got robbed on the touchdown and these kinds of things are putting their toll on the team emotionally. Just my speculation.
Randy Pete can ask the question.

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
The strides made in the football program the last 5 years have done more to make ISU football relevant and competitive than the previous 100 years, sadly you have to look further than the w/l column to see this. JP is fine, even discussing him being on the hot seat is absurd. The 2 biggest programs in the AD are seeing money and popularity like never before.

SoapyCy

Oct 10, 2012
grundy center

Many players tweeted about how the reffing was unfair. All have since been deleted.

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
The strides made in the football program the last 5 years have done more to make ISU football relevant and competitive than the previous 100 years, sadly you have to look further than the w/l column to see this. JP is fine, even discussing him being on the hot seat is absurd. The 2 biggest programs in the AD are seeing money and popularity like never before.

This. While Rhoads has a similar record to McCarney, if you can't see the improvements within the program (road wins, being more competitve, wins over ranked teams), then you haven't watched very closely over the past 15 years.