"They're a problem with everybody." -Mick Cronin on ISU

trevn

LIV Tour DJ
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
Eastern Iowa
I do know that Cronin is absolutely despised by Arizona fans. They have a bit of a rivalry going with UCLA though.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Makes sense. They were the two basketball powers in the Pac 12.

AZ was moving faster than CU toward Big 12 the minute ucla announced, they were eyeing it even before that seeing their league get passed by.

CU was just really public about it, kind of like when Missouri announced they were big ten before even getting invited.

ClubCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 8, 2023
Yeah, always figured Cronin to be a bit of an elitist, but he's done some good interviews. Interesting to see him not have more short-term success at UCLA, but comes across well in the interviews.
He’s done pretty well minus this year but I hear rumblings out here in CA about UCLA alum wanting him out.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Here's the whole interview. Pretty interesting. He gives his breakdown of who he thinks can win besides UCONN at 17:45. I think the whole context makes it clear he has a lot of respect for ISU.

It was a GREAT interview. He could definitely do announcing/media like Jay Wright. He was very comfortable.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
It was a GREAT interview. He could definitely do announcing/media like Jay Wright. He was very comfortable.
My favorite line is "They can put you in the meat grinder." and then gives that grin. That's him telling everyone he wouldn't want to play ISU, which is a big compliment from a good coach.

danvillecyclone

Dec 8, 2011
Thanks for posting!

Great interview.

Regardless of his positive view of our Cyclones….Very sharp guy and knowledgeable about so many teams (players and coaches) now and in the past. He knows his s”””.

He contradicted Cowherd a couple of times , which he was right to do. And did so very smoothly.

I could bring up about 20 things that impressed me.

Obviously he watches other teams in season. …for more than entertainment I assume.

He’s actually watched us play more than our next opponent’s coach has watched us.

So far I’ve seen:

Coach K
Coach Sampson
Coach Cronin
All were very complimentary about ISU.

Thats a pretty good list and they aren’t just spewing “coach’s speak”

Keep bringing the love.

Last edited:

Cyowa 14

THE Iowa State University Class of 2014
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 26, 2019
Yeah, always figured Cronin to be a bit of an elitist, but he's done some good interviews. Interesting to see him not have more short-term success at UCLA, but comes across well in the interviews.
Has he been there 5 years yet? He's went to a final 4, losing on a last second bank shot 3 to Gonzaga, and was a 2 seed last year. I agree I always thought he was an elitist but I've never questioned how tough his teams were at Cincinnati and UCLA, remind me of this ISU team honestly.

Reactions: BigCyFan

Cyowa 14

THE Iowa State University Class of 2014
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 26, 2019
Has he been there 5 years yet? He's went to a final 4, losing on a last second bank shot 3 to Gonzaga, and was a 2 seed last year. I agree I always thought he was an elitist but I've never questioned how tough his teams were at Cincinnati and UCLA, remind me of this ISU team honestly.
Looked it up, this was year 5 for him at UCLA and my take away is he is a heck of a coach and I forgot just how good of a 3 year stretch UCLA just had. Year 2 final four, year 3 27-8 sweet 16, year 4 31-6 sweet 16, disappointment this year but I'm pretty confident he will turn it around going to the big 10.

Reactions: BigCyFan