"They're a problem with everybody." -Mick Cronin on ISU

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
Looked it up, this was year 5 for him at UCLA and my take away is he is a heck of a coach and I forgot just how good of a 3 year stretch UCLA just had. Year 2 final four, year 3 27-8 sweet 16, year 4 31-6 sweet 16, disappointment this year but I'm pretty confident he will turn it around going to the big 10.
Thanks for correcting me. I have a hard time remembering specific teams/records after the fact so misjudged their success. This year was clearly a down year, but he is a good coach and will likely get them back on the upturn.

• Winner
Reactions: Cyowa 14

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
He’s done pretty well minus this year but I hear rumblings out here in CA about UCLA alum wanting him out.
They should fire him. He'd be at Louisville tomorrow.

I've always kind of liked Cronin and now that I'm thinking about it he's probably one of the closest comps to how TJ runs his team. Tougher than **** and if they have offensive talent, they're going to be a problem.

Reactions: ClubCy

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
They should fire him. He'd be at Louisville tomorrow.

I've always kind of liked Cronin and now that I'm thinking about it he's probably one of the closest comps to how TJ runs his team. Tougher than **** and if they have offensive talent, they're going to be a problem.
Cincy and Xavier have had a VERY intense rivalry for a long time. There was a fight years ago and Cronin went scorched earth on how terrible it was. He gave no ***** about calling out his own players and their actions. It was actually refreshing.

• Agree
Reactions: 0u812

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
Yeah, always figured Cronin to be a bit of an elitist, but he's done some good interviews. Interesting to see him not have more short-term success at UCLA, but comes across well in the interviews.
I almost wonder if the higher caliber recruiting pool is part of the problem. Sometimes those elite guys aren't all that interested in doing all the dirty work that it takes to be a great defensive team. I can see why it would be hard to pass up some of those 4 and 5 star guys, but I think TJ has the exact right attitude on it. Need to find the best guys that fit what you want to do, which means you might have to pass on some that are extremely talented.

Reactions: Jer

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
I almost wonder if the higher caliber recruiting pool is part of the problem. Sometimes those elite guys aren't all that interested in doing all the dirty work that it takes to be a great defensive team. I can see why it would be hard to pass up some of those 4 and 5 star guys, but I think TJ has the exact right attitude on it. Need to find the best guys that fit what you want to do, which means you might have to pass on some that are extremely talented.
Well, the game has sort of changed in the last 10 years. Very, very few of those super talented guys are ready to come in and guard or perform at level that you would expect of a one and done type of talent. So, you might get a guy who is there for a year because of his potential but you don't get the production of a first round NBA guy, you get the production of a top-50 AAU guy and those are very different things. Look at Kentucky. All kinds of talent but other teams are able to close the gap with skill development and maturity, combined with much better on-court coaching so now Kentucky isn't a title contender or even really that close to it.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
Cincy and Xavier have had a VERY intense rivalry for a long time. There was a fight years ago and Cronin went scorched earth on how terrible it was. He gave no ***** about calling out his own players and their actions. It was actually refreshing.
Cronin suspended several players for at least a game. I don't remember the details. Xavier suspended guys as well.

Granted, it was a pretty bad fight and their leagues were probably going to come down and hammer them if the schools didn't suspend guys, but at least he wasted no time suspending guys.

jmb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 12, 2006
Thanks for posting!

Great interview.

Regardless of his positive view of our Cyclones….Very sharp guy and knowledgeable about so many teams (players and coaches) now and in the past. He knows his s”””.

He contradicted Cowherd a couple of times , which he was right to do. And did so very smoothly.

I could bring up about 20 things that impressed me.

Obviously he watches other teams in season. …for more than entertainment I assume.

He’s actually watched us play more than our next opponent’s coach has watched us.

So far I’ve seen:

Coach K
Coach Sampson
Coach Cronin
All were very complimentary about ISU.

Thats a pretty good list and they aren’t just spewing “coach’s speak”

Keep bringing the love.
Self as well.

0u812

Jan 14, 2012
Mick is a smart guy. Good coach....I was surprised he went to UCLA, as it seemed like a strange fit. I am sure that the $$ talked.

He understands what ISU does. Love some of the detailed commentary....thanks for posting this.