This Team is Overtrained

cayin

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Flat muscles.
yes, it's a thing. Overtraining causes muscle tissue to break down, instead of looking full, hard and cut, they look smooth/flat. This can be offset by more rest and more calories.

• Dumb
Reactions: crawfy54

cayin

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
You understand that they have professional trainers on staff that know more about this than you do, and are better equipped to diagnose it than you are from your couch.
I'm not going to argue that and I should have said that is what it looks like to me instead of stating as a hard fact. I'm not as close to the situation as they are.

CyCrazy

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
yes, it's a thing. Overtraining causes muscle tissue to break down, instead of looking full, hard and cut, they look smooth/flat. This can be offset by more rest and more calories.

This is a weird hill to die on. But ok. Ya they are probably tired it happens. Trying to id their bodies and muscles is weird.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
You understand that they have professional trainers on staff that know more about this than you do, and are better equipped to diagnose it than you are from your couch.

I don't think they understand.

I actually thought they looked drained vs. TCU and perhaps they switched some things up as they haven't looked that way the last few games; they just need to max out to have a chance and that's not possible every day.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
If you don't think this team is even slightly underperforming on offense, your opinion of them as players is incredibly low.

My opinion of them as players is not low. You want to see low opinions, find the posts in the game thread actually attacking their intelligence and thinking a starter just should not play, etc.

But I'm not going to pretend an undersized and less athletic team is just going to flip a switch and start doing things that clearly don't work out. They get to the hoop; they don't finish or get swatted. Get an open look from 3; clank (or worse). Backdoor or slide: gets covered up.

The offense gets better perhaps with more patience and taking what's there like if the lane or baseline opens up--Gabe has been doing this the last couple of games. I think Kunz should shoot more and the block could be used more but the receiver also needs hands and footwork...does ISU have someone who can do that?

If you want to see what happens to a team when they don't have a truly dynamic scorer as Davis is struggling, watch WI right now.

cyclonehomer

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 2, 2019
My opinion of them as players is not low. You want to see low opinions, find the posts in the game thread actually attacking their intelligence and thinking a starter just should not play, etc.

But I'm not going to pretend an undersized and less athletic team is just going to flip a switch and start doing things that clearly don't work out. They get to the hoop; they don't finish or get swatted. Get an open look from 3; clank (or worse). Backdoor or slide: gets covered up.

The offense gets better perhaps with more patience and taking what's there like if the lane or baseline opens up--Gabe has been doing this the last couple of games. I think Kunz should shoot more and the block could be used more but the receiver also needs hands and footwork...does ISU have someone who can do that?

If you want to see what happens to a team when they don't have a truly dynamic scorer as Davis is struggling, watch WI right now.
I guess my point is that they're being told to keep repeatedly running things that don't work, game in and game out. I don't believe the team is completely devoid of talent, but they're putting up some of the worst offensive efforts ISU has ever had. So to me, either you believe this team is not being put into positions to succeed on that end (which is where I'm at) or you don't think most of the guys should play at the level they were recruited to play.

Reactions: isufbcurt

cycloneML

Mar 5, 2008
Typical CF fashion. A guy comes in with next level, outside the box idea, and he gets destroyed. 2 years from now, it will be the generally accepted idea.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I guess my point is that they're being told to keep repeatedly running things that don't work, game in and game out. I don't believe the team is completely devoid of talent, but they're putting up some of the worst offensive efforts ISU has ever had. So to me, either you believe this team is not being put into positions to succeed on that end (which is where I'm at) or you don't think most of the guys should play at the level they were recruited to play.

I don't disagree that some adjustments could be made but what level were they recruited to play on offense and do the adjustments have long-term possibilities?

What needs to happen to get them to that level?

Gabe was a 40% 3 point shooter his freshman year and gets plenty of looks per game. Game threads say he shouldn't shoot or even play. I've seen similar for Grill...and Conditt...and Jones...and Jackson...and then Brockington gets called a ball hog. Enaruna seems to be injured.

What's the answer?

cyclonehomer

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 2, 2019
I don't disagree that some adjustments could be made but what level were they recruited to play on offense and do the adjustments have long-term possibilities?

What needs to happen to get them to that level?

Gabe was a 40% 3 point shooter his freshman year and gets plenty of looks per game. Game threads say he shouldn't shoot or even play. I've seen similar for Grill...and Conditt...and Jones...and Jackson...and then Brockington gets called a ball hog. Enaruna seems to be injured.

What's the answer?
I gave you a fairly detailed answer to this question within the past two weeks I believe.

I'll start with anyone who thinks Brockington is a ball hog doesn't know basketball.

But to your point about what level they were recruited to play offensively I just ask, isn't offense a pretty big part of the game? If it's simply a skill issue, wouldn't you hope your coach is looking for something close to a balance enough to be remotely competent on that end? Isn't it like slightly concerning that the staff still puts the ball in Rob Jones' hands 15+ feet away from the basket on a regular basis?

Instead of asking me and everyone else, again, what adjustments can be made, why don't you defend the lack of adjustments as the only option? I'd like to know why, specifically, there's nothing that can be done and that this group is just so historically bad on offense.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I gave you a fairly detailed answer to this question within the past two weeks I believe.

I'll start with anyone who thinks Brockington is a ball hog doesn't know basketball.

But to your point about what level they were recruited to play offensively I just ask, isn't offense a pretty big part of the game? If it's simply a skill issue, wouldn't you hope your coach is looking for something close to a balance enough to be remotely competent on that end? Isn't it like slightly concerning that the staff still puts the ball in Rob Jones' hands 15+ feet away from the basket on a regular basis?

Instead of asking me and everyone else, again, what adjustments can be made, why don't you defend the lack of adjustments as the only option? I'd like to know why, specifically, there's nothing that can be done and that this group is just so historically bad on offense.

I didn't say there can't be adjustments. I've literally talked about my ideas my last several points. Guys on the block, Kunz shooting more, etc. But who goes to the block? Or where else do you put the 5s?

To your point about finding balance, we've seen what can happen if this team cracks on defense and it can get bad quickly. Perhaps the staff knows a compromise of D only gets worse in the long haul.

davegilbertson

Sep 3, 2011
When they don't sweat enough and when they sweat too much.

Gotta find just that right mix of sweating just right. It's pretty elementary stuff. Cmon TJ!

davegilbertson

Sep 3, 2011
If you don't think this team is even slightly underperforming on offense, your opinion of them as players is incredibly low.
I'm not disagreeing that it appears adjustments need to be made, but...

Wasn't the scoitong report on this team coming into the year they were extremely limited on offense? I recall ppl thinking that before we lost Foster, Hinson etc.

They

cyclonehomer

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 2, 2019
I didn't say there can't be adjustments. I've literally talked about my ideas my last several points. Guys on the block, Kunz shooting more, etc. But who goes to the block? Or where else do you put the 5s?

To your point about finding balance, we've seen what can happen if this team cracks on defense and it can get bad quickly. Perhaps the staff knows a compromise of D only gets worse in the long haul.
I'm sorry if I come across combative, I don't intend to. I care (probably way) too much about ISU athletics and just can't help but find performances like today's an extreme disappointment. It's not from a lack of effort from the players, but its just frustrating watching them run the same stuff game in and game out on that end with similar results. I know they won't ever be the 2017 GSW on offense, but know they're capable of more than we've seen, especially of late. Being even just normal bad on offense would help a lot.

Reactions: madguy30