WNBA 6,615
NBA 18,322
2023 ave. ticket price:
WNBA cheapest team - expensive team $24-73
NBA cheapest team - expensive team $138-$611
Reg season games:
WNBA 36
NBA 82
So the NBA averages 2.28x as many games with 2.77x as many fans with a ticket that is 5.75 to 8.37x as expensive. So very coarsely that is $36.31 to $52.86 of NBA ticket revenue for every dollar of wNBA ticket revenue. And that isn't even counting the difference in ancillary revenue such as TV revenue, sponsorships, merch sales and F&B. Keep in mind that empty seats don't buy beer, hot dogs or popcorn.
And this doesn’t even count tv ratings.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
Breanna Stewart and Napheesa Collier proposed starting a league for WNBA players in the off-season that is US-based, but have never heard any more about it.

Clark would do well in a 3 on 3 women's league. How does the 3on3 for the men and that deal that is every summer with retired players make money? All from the TV contracts?

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Considering the NBA owns 50% of the equity in the WNBA it will be interesting to see what role they play in continuing to grow the women's game. There were a lot of positive things said about including the WNBA at the NBA all-star weekend.

But the WNBA season takes place during the summer. I suppose they think its less competitive for eye-balls on tvs? Personally I think they need to figure out a way to incorporate the two seasons together like Mens and Womens college basketball do.
The summer season was also a calculated move to get the best players to play in the league. They can't offer salaries to compete with some of the leagues overseas so they made the WNBA season during the offseason so the best players could play in the domestic league while still getting their bag overseas.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
It could be. I was just saying if they had a women's division, it could carry any momentum from the WNBA season into the offseason. Both men's and women's pro basketball need an offseason hype generator like the NFL has to keep people engaged even when there are no games being played.
Football is unique in it is not something you can do by yourself for fun. You can’t play a pickup game at the gym. The physical nature is unlike any other sport also. The gap in season and only played on mostly weekends helps push it. Limited games make each one matter. You don’t sit your qb to rest him for next week unlike BB.

Football has no rival in the US.

• Agree
Reactions: Saul_T

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
We will see. Her jersey sold out in minutes already. They are televising over 30 Fever games up from one last year.

I imagine they'll get good viewership early, between the excitement around CC and spring/early summer not exactly being a great time for sports. Once football picks up, I'd imagine interest drops a bit.

• Agree
Reactions: NWICY and BigCyFan

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
I imagine they'll get good viewership early, between the excitement around CC and spring/early summer not exactly being a great time for sports. Once football picks up, I'd imagine interest drops a bit.
When are the Olympics? Don’t they break for that?

NATEizKING

Feb 18, 2011
Hilton
Football is unique in it is not something you can do by yourself for fun. You can’t play a pickup game at the gym. The physical nature is unlike any other sport also. The gap in season and only played on mostly weekends helps push it. Limited games make each one matter. You don’t sit your qb to rest him for next week unlike BB.

NBA needs less games, the Pacers played 17 games in the month of January.

Saul_T

Nov 16, 2020

100% Agree. I think it will be interesting to see if CC can continue drawing crowds into the WNBA. It's undeniable what her impact has been, but the growth of the game definitely goes beyond her. There's no way men's or women's ball will ever eclipse the NFL, but they can definitely take a page out of their book and learn how to bring attention in the offseason.

Reactions: BCClone

ClubCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 8, 2023
I’ve said this for years. There’s no need to have an 82-game season start in October with the playoffs lasting into June, for Pete’s sake. There’s a reason nobody pays attention until Christmas …
Oh there’s a reason.

• Winner
Reactions: GT25Ump

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
I’ve said this for years. There’s no need to have an 82-game season start in October with the playoffs lasting into June, for Pete’s sake. There’s a reason nobody pays attention until Christmas …

Christmas? I don’t pay attention until the Finals, and sometimes not even then if it’s two teams I don’t care about.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
And this doesn’t even count tv ratings.

Tyrese Haliburton has fans from Asia constantly flying to see his games cheering for him specifically and making signs letting people know how far they came to see him. Iowans don't even watch the NBA in general and Iowa media covers a bench warmer for TWolves far more than an All Star starter on Indy.

That's an indication of how global the NBA is and how misleading the local Iowa media can paint things.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Breanna Stewart and Napheesa Collier proposed starting a league for WNBA players in the off-season that is US-based, but have never heard any more about it.

There's a great new documentary on Tubi about the WNBA's struggles/success in collective bargaining and growing the league.

It's free, not a bad watch.

goody2012

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 28, 2014
I personally think it's great she is creating such a big interest in women's basketball. The women deserve more attention to their sport. And it's not just CC; there are quite a few stars and rising stars still in the college ranks. The popularity of women's basketball is ready to explode, and it's been long overdue IMO

I just hope CC's on court temperament improves at the next level. Regardless, it's time to move on. CC is no longer affiliated with Iowa.
Is women's basketball gaining popularity, or is it just CC? I think it's the latter.

Cyhig

Nov 29, 2017
Is women's basketball gaining popularity, or is it just CC? I think it's the latter.
Hard to say. But given the volume of current star and upcoming star players in the women's game, the next 3-5 years will be very telling of how popular women's basketball will become.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Clark would do well in a 3 on 3 women's league. How does the 3on3 for the men and that deal that is every summer with retired players make money? All from the TV contracts?

I've watched some of that 3x3 on youtube and some of the teams from other countries seem pretty elite. It seems to reward length, athleticism, driving to basket and shooting over strength/size so she's probably the ideal player while some of these NCAA wbb bigs might not do well.