Time for a Real Discussion About Caitlin Clark

cytor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 20, 2011
It was a HUGE Upset, and I was pulling for NC State that night! Point is that it didn't diminish how GREAT Drexler and Olajuwan were @ Houston.
You did see some amazing games.... but I might say that you could be a curse against great players in title games.

• Haha
Reactions: AlaCyclone

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
Still surprised they didn’t bring in another big.
Stulke made a big improvement from last season but SC clearly had the advantage in the paint. I thought they would surely bring in a proven big after the run last season. Just imagine if Audi had committed to Iowa instead of ISU. It still amazes me after the run they made last year they didn't add 1 impact player in the portal.

swiacy

Apr 9, 2009
She’s a great college player but I doubt it translates to the WNBA due to the elite athletes that will be assigned to guard her. Her advisors got thru to her to cut out the whining and that was greatly reduced which I give her credit, her ability to produce all season with all the fan and media pressure put on her should be noted. When she was acting the fool I don’t remember her singling out ISU or players. She was no JorBo. Blunder for some reason was unable to find another Ciznaro and it’s really hard to believe Clark was able to carry them this far with an average sized Forward playing Center.

• Agree
Reactions: cyputz

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Stulke made a big improvement from last season but SC clearly had the advantage in the paint. I thought they would surely bring in a proven big after the run last season. Just imagine if Audi had committed to Iowa instead of ISU. It still amazes me after the run they made last year they didn't add 1 impact player in the portal.
Agree about the big. It’s never a positive when a player gets hurt but I think Assolter or whatever her name is that replaced the hurt player is actually a better player and the team was better with her in more minutes.

• Agree
Reactions: Cyinthenorth

ClubCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 8, 2023
Sure is. Far more teams involved.
So now you’re diminishing all of the Big 12 tournament championships we have accumulated? Its not as impressive as an Iowa state HS championship?

Love today’s result, cheer against them, cheer against CC for the rest of eternity, I know I will but this just grasping at straws. This is one of the most insane takes I have seen all day.

• Winner
Reactions: Cyclonesrule91

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
She’s a great college player but I doubt it translates to the WNBA due to the elite athletes that will be assigned to guard her. Her advisors got thru to her to cut out the whining and that was greatly reduced which I give her credit, her ability to produce all season with all the fan and media pressure put on her should be noted. When she was acting the fool I don’t remember her singling out ISU or players. She was no JorBo. Blunder for some reason was unable to find another Ciznaro and it’s really hard to believe Clark was able to carry them this far with an average sized Forward playing Center.
What I saw in the chunks I saw was 44 did help in the tourney more than I thought she would. She almost did team goon work. She would basically beat the living heck out of the other post players. I was amazed with what she got away with inside with no calls. It was like her job was to body shot the other teams posts and have them exhausted so Stuelke could run them.

Reactions: cyputz

AlaCyclone

Jun 14, 2007
You did see some amazing games.... but I might say that you could be a curse against great players in title games.
I did see Tennessee (w / Chamiqua Holdsclaw) play @ DePaul (125-46) in 1998 the year the Lady Vols went 39-0! So, it's not all a curse. :)

Reactions: fcclone

cyputz

Jul 26, 2006
Well, luckily U of Iowa didn't have to go that far. They just didn't pay contractors, had multiple lawsuits from former players and coaches, sent letters to future opponents of their rival when their own fans stole from them, marched their band into a pack of opposing fans just because . . . . . and sacrificed a chicken to Jobu for CC to hit logo threes.
Take a step away from the edge..wait for FB season

Cyhig

Nov 29, 2017
So now you’re diminishing all of the Big 12 tournament championships we have accumulated? Its not as impressive as an Iowa state HS championship?

Love today’s result, cheer against them, cheer against CC for the rest of eternity, I know I will but this just grasping at straws. This is one of the most insane takes I have seen all day.
Conference tournament titles are fun to win. But I view a high school state championship, especially in an individual event like track and field, superior to a collegiate conference title. A high school state champion shows you are the best in the entire state; conference title shows you are the best in a smaller collection of schools

Of course, a collegiate national championship is far superior to anything high school related

I guess I don’t place as much value into a conference title as others.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
Conference tournament titles are fun to win. But I view a high school state championship, especially in an individual event like track and field superior to a collegiate conference title. A high school state champion shows you are the best in the entire state; conference title shows you are the best in a smaller collection of schools

Of course, a collegiate national championship is far superior to anything high school related

I guess I don’t place as much value into a conference title as others.
So you're more impressed by a 1A state champion who doesn't have to compete or beat schools/athletes in 2A, 3A, 4A, or 5A, than you are a B1G conference champion that's competing against the best of the best from 14 major university programs?

Lol.

Outside of the biggest HS class/division, a HS state champion does not show you're the best in the entire state.

Man your hate runs deep, lol.

• Agree

7Got6

Aug 16, 2021
Cael is the GOAT. David Carr’s resume speaks for itself. Purdy is young though plenty of time to win some Super Bowls and get in the GOAT
I’m not going to get into wrestling as a team sport debate. Honestly I’m not a wrestling fan either although I probably should be as an Iowa fan. How many titles did Purdy win at ISU?

7Got6

Aug 16, 2021
Major mistake not getting some bigs to go with Hannah. Eventually that bill was going to come due.

Cyhig

Nov 29, 2017
So you're more impressed by a 1A state champion who doesn't have to compete or beat schools/athletes in 2A, 3A, 4A, or 5A, than you are a B1G conference champion that's competing against the best of the best from 14 major university programs?

Lol.

Outside of the biggest HS class/division, a HS state champion does not show you're the best in the entire state.

It literally does. Look at track and field. A guy runs the 100 meters the fastest in the entire state. Far more impressive than a guy who runs the 100 meters fastest from a collection of 14 collegiate schools.

• Haha

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
It literally does. Look at track and field. A guy runs the 100 meters the fastest in the entire state. Far more impressive than a guy who runs the 100 meters fastest from collection of 14 schools.
So the guy that runs the fastest time among 1A schools in the 100m isn't a state champion if his/her time is slower than the times for 2A, 3A, 4A, etc?

chadly82

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 10, 2009

Lol.

So does mine but I’ll say this, I’m impressed by CC and what she did for women’s basketball for the time she did. What she did show when others were just as athletic or more she really struggled at times. Women’s profitability will go back to where it was without her and interested to hear about her in the wnba because that level won’t be like playing Nebraska women….it’ll be like UConn and SC AA every night

Cyhig

Nov 29, 2017
So the guy that runs the fastest time among 1A schools in the 100m isn't a state champion if his/her time is slower than the times for 2A, 3A, 4A, etc?
I never understood why there are different classes in high school track and field. If you’re the fastest, you’re the champion. Plain and simple. And the one person who had the fastest time in the entire state has a more impressive championship than a collegiate conference title. Is that person a better athlete than the collegiate player? No. But their high school state title is more impressive. Thats my opinion. Like it or not. And frankly I don’t care if you don’t like my opinion.

hobbsfan27

Jun 6, 2008
Muscatine
I’m not shocked that this thread has 315 pages. it makes sense to me… rivalry. Sports etc.

What is SHOCKING is how many Hawkeye fans are on here all the time defending this woman like their daughter. Hoping you care about your real kids this much…

• Winner
Reactions: cyputz and GT25Ump

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
I never understood why there are different classes in high school track and field. If you’re the fastest, you’re the champion. Plain and simple. And the one person who had the fastest time in the entire state has a more impressive championship than a collegiate conference title. Thats my opinion. Like it or not. And frankly I don’t care if you don’t like my opinion.
Lololol. So what about a team sport, since we're talking WBB, same?

You think North Linn winning the 1A state championship is more impressive than ISU winning the Big 12 Tourney?