Time for Sanders to be the featured back

ZRF

Jan 3, 2015
Sanders was a breath of fresh air in the 2nd half (4th quarter). He made an incredible cut to spring the big gainer and the TD was all him bouncing it to the outside. That's more vision and awareness than we've seen the entire year from Norton or Sama (who has a bright future).

With the offensive line struggling to open holes we need the element Sanders brings to the table. It's time to give him a shot at being the feature back and see if he can do it consistently.

This is the most hope I've had for the run game all season.

CydeofFries

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 10, 2017
I wasn't overly impressed with any RBs while watching the game in stadium yesterday. I still think Sama probably has the most raw talent, but Sanders might be better at working with the OLine to create better blocking angles to help each other.

• Agree
Reactions: tim_redd

HouClone

Sep 3, 2011
Houston
Sanders did a great job bouncing a couple outside. But small sample size. No RB can get into a rhythm or show what they can do with our OL.

cyclone1209

Nov 5, 2010
Denver
I liked what we saw from Hansen too.
Hanson had 1 carry for 4/5 yards. He's clearly a baller if he is gettin snaps as a true freshman.

Sama is good at the halfback pass on perimeter, he deserves snaps too. The back i'm least bullish on is Norton, I've seen too much on film where he A)doesn't fall forward, or B) can't make a guy miss.

Clonedogg

Sep 4, 2009
CR, IA
biblehub.com
I want to see more of the PA passes to the running back.
Isn't a PA pass when you fake a hand off to the running back, but pass it?

So you're saying fake a hand off to the running back then pass it to the same running back? I'll have to look for that play if I get to rewatch the game.

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
Isn't a PA pass when you fake a hand off to the running back, but pass it?

So you're saying fake a hand off to the running back then pass it to the same running back? I'll have to look for that play if I get to rewatch the game.

There were a few instances where they'd fake the hand off, then Sanders or Sama slipped out to the flat and Rocco got them in stride. At least 2 went for first downs.

Pope

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 7, 2015
I know little about Oline play, but after watching the game in person, I rewatched it on TV when I got home, but I focused on the Oline. There were so many times our guys completely wiffed on blocks or got tossed aside like rag dolls, it was pretty startling to me.

Sanders (or any of our other tailbacks) isn't the solution. Better Oline play is.

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
I know little about Oline play, but after watching the game in person, I rewatched it on TV when I got home, but I focused on the Oline. There were so many times our guys completely wiffed on blocks or got tossed aside like rag dolls, it was pretty startling to me.

Sanders (or any of our other tailbacks) isn't the solution. Better Oline play is.
They are too slow to stay in front of people and get off balance.

• Agree
Reactions: khardbored

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
Sanders was a breath of fresh air in the 2nd half (4th quarter). He made an incredible cut to spring the big gainer and the TD was all him bouncing it to the outside. That's more vision and awareness than we've seen the entire year from Norton or Sama (who has a bright future).

With the offensive line struggling to open holes we need the element Sanders brings to the table. It's time to give him a shot at being the feature back and see if he can do it consistently.

This is the most hope I've had for the run game all season.
I was wrong about Sanders. I thought he was too much of a straight line speed guy that lacked vision. I thought he could be a good back but would absolutely need a good OL to be effective. I think he just needs a lot of touches to get comfortable and get a feel for when to bounce it and when to cut it up.

MJ271

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 9, 2012
Atkins
I like how Sanders gets downhill and takes what's there. I think it's possible that Norton and/or Sama would be better than Sanders if the offensive line was better, but right now I'm at the point where I just want the RB to limit negative plays and focus on getting a couple of yards before thinking about getting the bigger play. Sanders is better at that as of right now, and still has the speed to get some of those bigger runs when a hole is there.

Obviously that's not where you want to be with the offensive line, but that's the situation until they improve (which I still expect them to do under Clanton, it'll just take time).

boone7247

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 15, 2011
Near the City
I wasn't overly impressed with any RBs while watching the game in stadium yesterday. I still think Sama probably has the most raw talent, but Sanders might be better at working with the OLine to create better blocking angles to help each other.
from my angle he was the only one to hit the play with any speed. Norton would literally jog to the line then fall backward. Getting 2 vs 0 is huge. Sama wants to bounce outside too quick still.

Sanders at least was quick to the hole which limited the negative runs, and helped allow the PA to work.

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
It can be Sanders, fine by me. It just isn't going to be a position that produces a whole lot the way they do things, no matter who is back there. Hopefully they take what worked this week and scheme more things to get him (and the others) in space with the ball. Just keep the chains moving.

• Agree
Reactions: t-noah and Big_Sill