Time to cut out our Busch Light love affair

MeowingCows

Jun 1, 2015
Iowa
Even if they tweeted it when they were 16?
Do we have a lot of politicians around who were on Twitter at age 16?

And, yes, for someone pursuing power and influence -- that level of microscopy is important to establish a full analysis of their character. Leaders can and should be judged harshly, as they become the decision makers and representatives of everybody else.

Does not apply to someone raising money for a children's hospital, however, especially on such a one-off incident as what Carson did. It was closer to an event than a trend, yet DMR and A-B went nuts over it.

• Agree
Reactions: Rods79 and STATE12

CtownCyclone

Really Strong Cardinals
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 20, 2010
Where they love the governor
Well, that's one way to write a headline...
EFeThJZX4AAJv62

• Dislike
Reactions: Knownothing

Rods79

Nov 27, 2006
Des Moines

And, yes, for someone pursuing power and influence -- that level of microscopy is important to establish a full analysis of their character. Leaders can and should be judged harshly, as they become the decision makers and representatives of everybody else.

Does not apply to someone raising money for a children's hospital, however, especially on such a one-off incident as what Carson did. It was closer to an event than a trend, yet DMR and A-B went nuts over it.

I’m just going to leave this here for anyone to read up on. It’s short and summarizes many position papers on journalistic practices. There are multiple ethical guidelines that the Register chose to deviate from. I would pay particular attention the the “Minimize Harm” section, but they are meant to be taken as a whole.

https://www.spj.org/ethicscode.asp

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
We can’t rest until Randy is removed.

Not that I am a big fan of Randy's work, but he's one of the many people that work at the DMR that right now probably are pretty uncomfortable talking right now because you know everyone probably will be asking these people that had nothing to do with the story questions about what they think of it. I don't think Carol Hunter fully realizes the damage she has done to the paper she runs and all the people who work there now having to deal with the backlash from a decision they likely had nothing to do with themselves.

cycfan1

Nov 27, 2006
Ames
Not that I am a big fan of Randy's work, but he's one of the many people that work at the DMR that right now probably are pretty uncomfortable talking right now because you know everyone probably will be asking these people that had nothing to do with the story questions about what they think of it. I don't think Carol Hunter fully realizes the damage she has done to the paper she runs and all the people who work there now having to deal with the backlash from a decision they likely had nothing to do with themselves.

With Randy's journalism style, he should be well trained for this.

• Funny
Reactions: CYdTracked

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
People who know me in the cave know that I have zero tolerance for bigotry but this is all a very sad and unfortunate thing.

What perhaps makes me most upset is there is real bigotry coming from places of power in this state, country and around the globe. Nonsense like this makes it easy for truly evil people to continue their bigoted actions and deflect truly justified criticism as if it falls under the same umbrella of nonsense like what the DMR has done here.

A Steve King can point to something like this (after he's made an obviously public racist statement) and say "look, I told you it's all nonsense". Horrible for everybody, horrible for people fighting bigotry.

(*Shocked I got any disagrees here...the "nonsense" making it harder to fight real current public bigotry when it occurs is the DMR's nonsense.)

Last edited:

ISUCY23

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 16, 2008
Ames

Not yet but we will soon.

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
BTW how does a 23 year old and his mom have a better understanding of handling the press and public relations than a multi million dollar company that is well, The actual press

• Winner

Rods79

Nov 27, 2006
Des Moines
People who know me in the cave know that I have zero tolerance for bigotry but this is all a very sad and unfortunate thing.

What perhaps makes me most upset is there is real bigotry coming from places of power in this state, country and around the globe. Nonsense like this makes it easy for truly evil people to continue their bigoted actions and deflect truly justified criticism as if it falls under the same umbrella of nonsense like what the DMR has done here.

A Steve King can point to something like this (after he's made an obviously public racist statement) and say "look, I told you it's all nonsense". Horrible for everybody, horrible for people fighting bigotry.

He could try (because he is a moron)...but ultimately those serving the public or seeking public attention are to be held to a higher standard of scrutiny than a private citizen.

RotatingColumn

Oct 21, 2008

YES! I finally agree with you on something. Screaming racism about everything dilutes actual racism. Burn the media!

• Agree

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
YES! I finally agree with you on something. Screaming racism about everything dilutes actual racism. Burn the media!

When it's completely irrelevant and trivial it only serves as a weapon for people engaged in bigotry. It's a shield they can use. The DMR has given cover to bigots.

"Every little thing" isn't a congressman claiming that only people of European decent have contributed to society or a president telling 3rd generation citizens to "go back to their countries".

This particular case is beyond dumb. He wasn't a public figure, he's not representing anyone but himself, the content was retweets from 7 years ago when he was a kid, he's doing something positive with the fame that landed in his lap. All the DMR has done is make it much harder for people to fight against real bigotry when they see it in real time.

Last edited:
  • Winner
Reactions: tim_redd