Time to cut out our Busch Light love affair

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Not going to read it and give them the clicks but she is more of the problem IMO. The reporter shouldn’t have been fired for his tweets. He should have been fired for his inability to accurately deduce what was newsworthy. She should lose her job for allowing it to happen.

Who hired the kid? They should have moved calvin to HR for background checks and fired the hirer.

Reactions: CycloneJL

IASTATE07

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 30, 2016
DMR said they didn't notify Busch. Not sure I believe them, but I'd like to know if Busch discovered it or they were tipped off.

• Agree
Reactions: CYdTracked

trevn

LIV Tour DJ
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
Eastern Iowa
What a mess. Could have been avoided by leaving it alone. But they didn't. Even so, this could have been made better by them apologizing and being transparent about the err in judgment instead of repeatedly defending...errr...."explaining" their reason for doing what they did. Show some tact and humility instead of trying to save the uninformed public from themselves by answering questions no one was asking.

Krug

Sep 4, 2010
Ankeny
DMR said they didn't notify Busch. Not sure I believe them, but I'd like to know if Busch discovered it or they were tipped off.
Had to have been tipped off because Busch told him before he went on KCCI so how would they know so early?. I 100% believe the little **** reporter tipped them off. He came from buzzfeed and that site lives off cancel culture. I guarantee he thought he would be some kind of cancel culture messiah from all this.

Rods79

Nov 27, 2006
Des Moines
i honestly don’t really know. I don’t know much about journalism. What’s the ethical principle that prevents them from checking a tweet from a sixteen year old?

looking at the google...pandering to lurid curiosity? Not balancing the public’s right to know with unnecessarily causing harm correctly?

Your Google was close. There is a standard “principle of limitation” that should have been applied here to limit harm. This involves the act of determining what to report and how to report it, dealing with minors and inexperienced subjects, and withholding information not materially related to the report that could cause people harm. I would say this situation checked the box on all those. But apparently “novelists” these days have thrown that code out the window to get a sharper angle and more clicks. This does not apply to public figures like politicians who are seeking attention, fyi. The response from the public is enough to understand they made a huge mistake in ethical judgment here, and they deserve no defense.

Add on to that the double standard of the tweets of their own reporter, and their lack of due diligence in self regulation and accountability. That would guide them to fire the editor (Carol) and the reporter (Aaron)...if they were a reliable and professional news organization. If they don’t, they really do deserve everything bad that would come their way.

• Winner
Reactions: brett108

Rods79

Nov 27, 2006
Des Moines
And I’m not sure what Calvin means, but I assume it means delete...so the reporter should have quietly told Carson to hide the tweets so we could just blue pill away? How bad does a tweet from a 16-year old have to get for it to become important in a profile and who decides that? Can they quote Tosh’s rape jokes? Are they supposed to ignore publicly available media when doing a profile? I have said a couple times that I thought the Rag showed bad judgment in including those tweets in the story given the context, but what I’m seeing is an inordinate amount of anger about it from people in this thread.

There is just so much shade thrown towards the media in general these days, I’m legitimately curious what journalistic standard(s) the Register ignored. I’m willing to admit I’m wrong here, especially since I’m in an extreme minority, but I want somebody to explain to me what they did that’s so wrong.

You’re wrong here.
ti4SB0Z.gif

Rods79

Nov 27, 2006
Des Moines
Had to have been tipped off because Busch told him before he went on KCCI so how would they know so early?. I 100% believe the little **** reporter tipped them off. He came from buzzfeed and that site lives off cancel culture. I guarantee he thought he would be some kind of cancel culture messiah from all this.

I’m sure the Editor didn’t know, asked Calvin this direct question, and Calvin didn’t tell the (whole) truth to limit any additional damage. This was pretty evident in his reaction on Tuesday night, furiously deleting his old tweets.

Keep the pressure on...Carol Hunter needs fired here. There is no control in that newsroom. Pretty revealing of the education one may receive from the KU School of Journalism.

• Winner
Reactions: isufbcurt

aeroclone

Oct 30, 2006
I’m sure the Editor didn’t know, asked Calvin this direct question, and Calvin didn’t tell the (whole) truth to limit any additional damage. This was pretty evident in his reaction on Tuesday night, furiously deleting his old tweets.

Keep the pressure on...Carol Hunter needs fired here. There is no control in that newsroom. Pretty revealing of the education one may receive from the KU School of Journalism.

Agreed, Carol needs to go. If you want to stand behind Calvin as just following standard procedure in doing the background check here as they keep doing then I think Carol as editor is more at fault than Calvin. The editor ultimately makes the decision to publish this info, and publishing it was the far greater sin here than the background check itself. Pack your bags, Carol.

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
"It's only a standard procedure to do a social media background check if you're trying to destroy someone who is only trying to do good. It is not necessary to do the background checks if you're applying to be a reporter at our newspaper."

-Des Moines Register

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
I can tell you that most people chat about the Busch boycott while drinking a Busch product. That includes Busch Light. Whatever boycott there is won't last long. I'm very familiar with humans.

cyclonestate

May 4, 2009
The hardest part of issuing a sincere apology is avoiding the temptation to "explain" your behavior, and just admit to the world you did something very wrong and you are remorseful. It's not easy, as evidenced by the editor of the DM Register.

• Agree
Reactions: Doc and Knownothing

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
And now, RAGBRAI is donating $50K to the cause. Hmmmmm

That's so strange that they had Ragbrai donate instead of the actual DSM Register. At this point the Register has blown it so much they can't really do anything to salvage this mess they created. I think the only thing they could do to save face is donate a crap load. However, I doubt that would even help at this point.

The real question is when does it become Ragbrai sponsored by Hy Vee. Then eventually Hybrai.

• Funny
Reactions: isufbcurt