NFL: Tom Brady Suspended Four Games

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines

A Boston area columnist thinks the punishment is ridiculous? The hell you say.

Brady probably broke the rules and definitely failed to fully cooperate. Consequently, the league threw the book at him and the Pats. Sucks for them, but maybe they should quit pushing the envelope and looking for wiggle room in the rule book. As evidenced by the 38 point beatdown they handed to Indy, they don't need to.

CyStalker

Jul 16, 2012
Ankeny
11209721_791039430993474_1846854574841989576_n.jpg

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
Bottom line is that Brady had someone cheat for him. Pretty obvious. Whether he needed to cheat or not is irrelevant. Brady did not cooperate with the investigation.

I have no sympathy for Tom Brady. Maybe Tom Brady needs to study the rule book. That is what Tom Brady told the Baltimore Ravens. Sit for four games Mr. Cheater.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...om-brady-on-ravens-complaints-study-the-rules

In the third quarter, Belichick deployed an unusual group of blockers and combined it with some late eligibility reporting to officials. Harbaugh wasn't happy, and let reporters know it afterward.The ever cheeky-in-victory Brady was quick to fire back at theRavens coach.
"Maybe those guys gotta study the rule book and figure it out," Brady said. "We obviously knew what we were doing and we made some pretty important plays."

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
Did Brady deliberately take air out of the balls for a competitive advantage? Probably.

Did it matter in the AFC championship game? No.

Do I wish the Vikings would bend the rules to gain a competitive advantage? Absolutely.

This punishment is ridiculous and just Roger's way of getting the NFL in the spotlight as much as possible. No one in their right mind should think 4 games is a correct suspension. I honestly thought a slap on the wrist was coming because that's all it deserves...

It's disappointing that it wasn't 4 years.

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
Did Brady deliberately take air out of the balls for a competitive advantage? Probably.

Do I wish the Vikings would bend the rules to gain a competitive advantage? Absolutely.

This punishment is ridiculous and just Roger's way of getting the NFL in the spotlight as much as possible. No one in their right mind should think 4 games is a correct suspension. I honestly thought a slap on the wrist was coming because that's all it deserves...

You're right. 4 games for deflated balls is excessive. But, the 4 games is for much more than deflated footballs. He lied to the investigators. That's what he is getting punished for.

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC

As a Vikings fan, I couldn't disagree with the bolded statement more. I don't want a team I cheer for to win that way. I know the NFL is all about money, and I know cheating goes on whether I like it or not, but the 10 year old kid in me wants the deserving team (whether it's my team or not) to win on their abilities alone.

I've never had a strong opinion on Brady either way, but I always respected the story of the 6th round pick proving people wrong and succeeding. I've never actively cheered for him, nor did I begrudge him because of his success.

But to intentionally cheat (regardless of the effect, which was really non-existent) sends a terrible message to kids. They were a good enough team to win without it, as they showed. Just play it fair.

jj-cyclones

Dec 26, 2007
Ames
You're right. 4 games for deflated balls is excessive. But, the 4 games is for much more than deflated footballs. He lied to the investigators. That's what he is getting punished for.

Lied or didn't say anything? If he told the truth to investigators he wouldn't have got 4 games? We can't say that for sure. I still see it as a publicity stunt by Goodell.

As a Vikings fan, I couldn't disagree with the bolded statement more. I don't want a team I cheer for to win that way. I know the NFL is all about money, and I know cheating goes on whether I like it or not, but the 10 year old kid in me wants the deserving team (whether it's my team or not) to win on their abilities alone.

I've never had a strong opinion on Brady either way, but I always respected the story of the 6th round pick proving people wrong and succeeding. I've never actively cheered for him, nor did I begrudge him because of his success.

But to intentionally cheat (regardless of the effect, which was really non-existent) sends a terrible message to kids. They were a good enough team to win without it, as they showed. Just play it fair.

The greatest WR ever in Rice came out and said he cheated by wearing stick-em....it just gamesmanship imo and in a couple years or when Brady retires we talking about how great Brady was and not these damn deflated balls. They are today's hot story but in the end that all it will be.

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
And Mr. Kraft is one of (2-3?) people that decide what the Commish get's paid every year.
I thought for that reason, Goodell would tread lightly, but the outcome doesn't show it.

Brady and Pats obviously were going to get something over this, but a $2 million+ fine for Brady seems a little over the top. After all of the decisions (and testimony) from Roger the last two years, I wonder if the owners still feel he is worth $45 million/yr.?

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
Brady and Pats obviously were going to get something over this, but a $2 million+ fine for Brady seems a little over the top. After all of the decisions (and testimony) from Roger the last two years, I wonder if the owners still feel he is worth $45 million/yr.?

Brady was not fined. Suspended without pay.

brett108

May 1, 2010
Tulsa, OK
Because they have texts that implicate him. And he refused to cooperate with the investigation, which is an offense by itself. Also, if anyone thinks the two guys did it without his okay, they're either naive or intentionally obtuse. It simply doesn't pass the smell test.
Man your bias is so obvious you need to drop out of this thread.

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006

Sounds like you are trying to make the argument that there should be no rules. And when people break the rules there should be no consequences.

It should be okay to cheat. It should be okay to take PED's. Everything is okay and rules do not have to be followed. The end justifies the means.

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
Man your bias is so obvious you need to drop out of this thread.

Lol. First of all, so what? Second, I'm saying nothing that isn't being said by analysts on all the major sports news outlets. Third, is anything in my post untrue?

Last edited: