Tom Manning to return?

dualthreat

Oct 8, 2008
I think it'd be really hard to be OC and OL coach. I bet he coaches the TE's and Meyers stays with OL.

Which is basically how it was when he left-- except Manning had the title.

CYCLNST8

Jul 19, 2008
Urbandale
www.gimikk.com
I think it'd be really hard to be OC and OL coach. I bet he coaches the TE's and Meyers stays with OL.

Which is basically how it was when he left-- except Manning had the title.

I think his official title will be "OC/Run game coordinator" & not a true position coach. I'm sure the running backs would prefer Scheelhaase stay as the RB coach. No idea what they do for WR.

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
I for one am glad that ISU will have an OC and that it is Manning. I know a lot of you have blasted me for calling for an OC hire, but in the end, it seems like there was a lot of talent on last year's team for the amount of production. (a lot of teams would have loved to have DM, Butler, Purdy, etc to run plays with) OL is still not there, so it would be nice to see him at that position again. If nothing else, just having his experience in coaching the OL would probably be helpful. very exciting news.

k123

Sep 14, 2011
Iowa
Huge for us, but I have a feeling it’s because he knows the HC spot will open up soon giving him a shot at the job in a year or two.

I came to post basically this. Lots of potential reasons (family liked Ames, one year in NFL was sufficient, Colts O-line staffing changes, etc) but the possibility of being in the wings if Campbell moves on, or to be in position to move from successful ISU OC to HC elsewhere makes sense (for him and us). Good/glad to have him back!!

Scruff

Mar 11, 2008
Coralville, IA
My reactions as an over-reactive cyclone fan message board reader.

1) Reads that Manning is back and does happy dance while shaking with excitement.

2) Sees a little snippet at the bottom of article that says we are also hiring Matt Caponi a safeties coach... realizes that's the position Heacock coaches in addition to being DC. Throws chair and says no, No, NO....

How easily panic can set in when I read this board. For the record, no I don't believe this means anything about Heacock. Just stating its crazy how my mind works. Manning is back and that's all I care about right now!

• Agree
Reactions: jcyclonee

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018
Very interesting he was only gone a year. Especially since the Colts appear to have a bright future.

cydline2cydline

Sep 17, 2011
Altoonaville
Real quick:

As of now, I'd say I'm 99 percent sure this is happening. Got a great source all but confirming to me. Sounds like the only thing left is putting ink on paper.

DOn't believe the staff has been finalized for next year (who is coaching who) yet. Sounds like that might happen over the weekend.

I hope they solve the OC position on whoever wins a game of NCAA 2014 (both playing with ISU).

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis
It is obvious to me that Manning was sent to the NFL only to return and report back to CMC that the NFL sucks and he should remain here. Forever.

Probably JP's doing.

I'll fire up an email and confirm.
This could be bad news if he befriended Andrew Luck. His dad is now commissioner of the XFL. Manning and Campbell will be coaching in the XFL next year. Since the season starts in February, they'll probably have to leave before we play Nebraska in the championship game next year. 14-1 isn't good enough for me anymore.

2speedy1

Jan 4, 2014
I love this. I think this is great for us that Manning is back. I just wish I could figure out/understand all the other movement on the staff. I don't know what all that means.

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
It will be interesting to see how this all shakes out. Sounds like there may be some re-arranging with the staff in addition to this hire.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
Came back as the essential Head Coach in Waiting for when Campbell leaves in a couple years.

giphy.webp