Top 10 ISU Stories for the Year?

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
If people continue to say that ISU beating Iowa is the biggest story of the year then we will never get past being the "little brother." By saying that this is the best we've had all year then this just proves to Hawk fans that this is our Super Bowl. If you want to get past this then you have to quit thinking that beating Iowa is the best thing that's happened to us.

There are bigger fish to fry. We need to improve on last year. WE need to get better. We need to contend for the North and then the whole thing.

Screw Iowa. Screw the thinking that we need to beat them in order for us to have a complete season. I'd lose to them another 15 years in a row if it meant we had a shot at a conference crown every year.

Get over it. It's time to move on to bigger and better things.

Understand your sentiment, but...

1. They're our rival and I don't like losing to them.
2. With as bad as Iowa's been lately, if we lose 15 straight to them I don't think we'll be in the running for any conference titles. We didn't exactly tear up the Big 8/Big XII the last time that happened.

To prove I understand exactly what you're saying, I don't think it should be the #1 goal of the season (which was part of the problem during the McCarney tenure) nor should winning or losing the game define our season. At the same time, especially when Iowa's in a downswing, I find losing to them unacceptable, beating them satisfying, and in a couple of years it will go from being the #1 accomplishment to being in the #3-#5 range.

SuperCy

Nov 30, 2006
Smallville/Metropolis
Understand your sentiment, but...

1. They're our rival and I don't like losing to them.
2. With as bad as Iowa's been lately, if we lose 15 straight to them I don't think we'll be in the running for any conference titles. We didn't exactly tear up the Big 8/Big XII the last time that happened.

To prove I understand exactly what you're saying, I don't think it should be the #1 goal of the season (which was part of the problem during the McCarney tenure) nor should winning or losing the game define our season. At the same time, especially when Iowa's in a downswing, I find losing to them unacceptable, beating them satisfying, and in a couple of years it will go from being the #1 accomplishment to being in the #3-#5 range.

Now, I'm not saying that if we lose to them and they're bad that we'll be contending for anything. If Iowa improves and is respectable then I can live with it. I don't like it, but I can live with it.

Iowa is our rival. I HATE losing to them. I just think that we need to get past it and look for other things. 10 years ago this was a huge accomplishment. I'm not the same person I was 10 years ago. I think that we should be able to look at our athletic department and say the same thing. It needs to grow or mature. What was important to me in 1997 isn't what's important to me now.

CrossCyed

Mar 30, 2006
There's something to be said for beating Iowa. They're still who we need to measure ourselves against in=state, and they are someone we recruit head-to-head against the most.

I know a lot of people may not want to admit it, but Chizik beating Iowa gave them a little more time before they were going to get on the back of the new football staff. We win our only noncon game against UNI or Toledo, and I have a feeling people would have been getting a bit more impatient. We can't poo-poo the rivalry like its nothing.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
Now, I'm not saying that if we lose to them and they're bad that we'll be contending for anything. If Iowa improves and is respectable then I can live with it. I don't like it, but I can live with it.

Iowa is our rival. I HATE losing to them. I just think that we need to get past it and look for other things. 10 years ago this was a huge accomplishment. I'm not the same person I was 10 years ago. I think that we should be able to look at our athletic department and say the same thing. It needs to grow or mature. What was important to me in 1997 isn't what's important to me now.

Agreed - 10 years ago I was of the opinion that we could beat Iowa and lose to everyone else and still consider the season a success. I certainly am not of that opinion anymore. Winning 7 out of 10 kind of changes that priority a little bit. I think beating Iowa should still be in our top 5 goals at the beginning of the year (behind winning record, bowl game, North championship, and Big XII championship), but I look forward to the day (hopefully starting next year) when it's not our lone accomplishment of the year.

Cyfan13

Dec 14, 2007
Ames
Notice the color of the flowers in her hair. :)

At least she pays tribute to ISU after she's gone.

Hobbs on the other hand...notsomuch. Did you see the clips from an interview with him on ESPN last night? Didn't mention ISU once and had just a dull beanie hat on. No ISU colors, nothin'! Why does he hate us?

/sarcasm

And when they announce the starters for each game, he says his high school instead of ISU...ridiculous!

wonkadog

Apr 17, 2006
Ames, IA
I understand those of you who take offense to my opinion on the Iowa football game THIS year but I still disagree. It's completely ignorant on anyone's part to not have that game at least in the top 3 this year. As another poster mentioned, at that point in the season we had sunk lower than we had been in a long time in football and it helped us at least grasp onto something positive.

On another note, I get sick of people ripping on anyone who mentions beating Iowa in any sport as "only caring about beating Iowa". That's about as far from the truth as you can get for most ISU fans any more. However, some years (such as this one where we have limited success throughout the year), beating Iowa comes back to the forefront as one of our major accomplishments. If that continues us being "little brother" then so be it, I guess we're doomed forever.

ISUboi12

Apr 12, 2006
dsm
ISU almost taking the telephone trophy and glendanna banner from the tuff as rain tigers.

CrossCyed

Mar 30, 2006
Hobbs loves Iowa State. Methinks people are a little too concerned over nothing.

DaddyMac

Oct 18, 2006
And Jon comes through with the slap of "it means more to you than us" and the ISU/Iowa game for his #1.

(insert puking icon here)

chadm

Giving it a go
Apr 11, 2006
Midwest

pukeface.gif

CrossCyed

Mar 30, 2006
Iowa's had bigger fish to fry in past years. This year, the game cost them a bowl. Hawkeye fans can think whatever they want, but I would have traded that win for a win over any of the conference teams that we lost to this year.

Who cares what Iowa fans think? Our athletics programs are showing quite a bit more promise across the board.

4429 mcc

Aug 29, 2007
Wall Street
And Jon comes through with the slap of "it means more to you than us" and the ISU/Iowa game for his #1.

So your the one guy listening to his show. :no: Well heres to keeping the collective IQ of his listeners up.:jiggy:

DaddyMac

Oct 18, 2006
I'd say Western Michigan cost them the bowl. Not sure how you can lose your senior day game against that team.

It must suck when half your schedule consists of other team's "super bowl".

Chad... could use that icon again...

ajk4st8

Mar 27, 2006
Ankeny
Methinks we was being sarcastic...poking fun at past Hobbs meltdowns. :yes:

We need a top 10 over worked threads..

#1 uniform colors.
#2 Ellis Hobbs and "Desoto Texas"
#3 Music at JTS
#4 Iowa is not our superbowl
#5 Mike Taylor should we/shouldnt we keep him
and so on