Top Five Ames Restaurants

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
No kidding- they once tried to serve me a plate of food that someone else had eaten off :confused:

As I was leaving La Fuente once, I noticed a box sitting outside their back door labeled "Raw Chicken: Refrigerate" It was springtime, so it was cool out, but not cold. Curious, I took a closer look at the box, thinking that surely it was just empty and waiting to be thrown in the trash. But no, it had chicken in it. It was frozen. I guess they were letting it thaw.

candg4ever

Oct 29, 2006
Nevada, IA
Also to clairify someone else's post Hickory Park didn't move Battles did, its now on Welch.

Actually, Hickory Park has moved twice since it's original location on E. L-Way. But that's been over quite some time, a lot of you weren't even born when they were at there first site.

josh777

Apr 13, 2006
What's the story with Jeff's Pizza? A few people I know have said it is good but, to me, their prices are crazy compared to other pizza joints in town.

JDDCy

Jul 1, 2006
As a student late 80's early 90's.

1. Pizza Pit - Pizza Twins were a heck of a deal
2. Taco John's - Sunday night was all you could eat
3. Arby's - 5 for 5 deal could eat for three days on $5
4. Save-U-More - after midnight $.50 could buy you 2 strips of bacon in a little heat retaining bag. mmmmm
5. Hometeam Pizza - maybe the cheapest Pizza ever sold. Quality was on par with Tottinos

As you can see I was a little strapped for cash back then. Some nights I made a meal out of 6-8 pieces of toast and a glass of chocolate milk.:eek:

scyclonekid

Feb 13, 2008
Old George's Pizza is good. The Spice Downtown is good. May House is awesome!! Try Fuji never been there, but heard it is good as is Jeff's Pizza. For drinks and a good atmosphere try The London Underground on Main St. cool place.

DJK15

Apr 17, 2008
When I was in college:

1. Es Tas Tacos
2. O'Malley & McGee's
3. West Street Deli
4. Legends
5. Dublin Bay

Favorite drunk food:

1. Pita Pit
2. Flying Burrito
3. Superdog
4. Gyro Stand
5. Gumby's
6. Perkins
7. Jimmy John's

I also worked at DaVinci's and invented several pizzas/sandwiches that probably took a couple years off my life.

Last edited:

KezClone

Jun 30, 2006
Roland, IA
Love the Mayhouse. I am yet to have a better noodle bowl. For best asian food, I loved Sukotai but sadly it left after my freshman year. It has changed names about 12 times since then.

:no:

May House? The one next to Family Video that's been shut down a half dozen times for roach infestations and reopens under a new name a couple months later?

When I was in school (mid-90s) and lived on the west side, we'd eat there despite the rumors of bugs, but when we brought some friends there from out of town, sat at our table and moved the table stuff (menu tent, etc.) and 3 big *** roaches scurried off the table was the last time we ever went there. I think that was 3 name changes ago.

Reactions: Angie

benjay

Mar 23, 2006
Ames has the best food in the state of Iowa.

Maybe you haven't eaten very many places throughout Iowa? :yes:

I would put both Cedar Rapids and Cedar Falls ahead of Ames, and I would be surprised if Des Moines wouldn't be better too. Other than maybe Great Plains, there's not a restaurant in Ames that would make my top 5 statewide.

benjay

Mar 23, 2006
:no:

May House? The one next to Family Video that's been shut down a half dozen times for roach infestations and reopens under a new name a couple months later?

haha i used to eat there. It was good for carryout chinese but the place was definitely suspect. Oh well, at least it didn't kill me.

burn587

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 14, 2006
Denver, CO
I can remember May House being named like 3 or 4 different things: Wok In, Peking Palace, and there's probably a couple I've forgotten.

I'm an Ames townie so the Hickory Park move I'm talking about occured at least 10-15 years ago. The current location used to be a Bonanza restaurant (the building was expanded greatly) and Hickory Park was further north on South Duff.

My experience at The Spice was just poor service and poor food. The thing that put it over the top was a screaming child at the next table for the entire meal. Not the spice's fault on that one but sometimes one thing will just push a place over the edge. I believe I had the green curry and it was very bland. Cafe Shi has superior curry imo. I also don't like La Fuente, the food's alright but you can hear the help screaming at each other in the kitchen.

Places that closed that I miss: Ruttles, O'mally Mcgees, Pizza Kitchens (the crock pizza was awesome).

st8rox

Dec 18, 2008
West Des Moines
Best Pizza: Great Plains (could compete for world pizza title)
Best Cheap Pizza: Pizza Pit
Best Fast Food: Taco Time
Best Ethnic: Cafe Shi
Best Place to take wife/girfriend to get lucky: Aunt Maudes:smile:

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
no particular order...

Olde Main
Dublin Bay
Cafe Northwest
Lucullan's
La Fuente

I'd like to go to places like The Spice, Cafe Shi, and Fuji Steakhouse more often, but the wife isn't so fond of them.

I believe that every place on your list is one of my favorites. Add Wallaby's, and that's my list of favorites in Ames. Fuji has really good hibachi chicken at lunch, and pretty cheap. LOVE the curry at Cafe Shi and the pad thai at The Spice. The lunch alfredo ravioli at Olde Main is probably the best pasta in Ames - even including Lucullan's, and that's hard.

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
Thinking about this from the angle of a college kid (trying to stay close-ish to campus):

Taco Time, CHC or House of Chen, Jeff's Pizza, Great Plains, Perkins, Flame & Skewer