Top Five Ames Restaurants

DJK15

Apr 17, 2008
1. Es Tas - Best. Tacos. Ever.
2. O'Malley's - Best overall mexican, incredible fajitas
3. West St Deli - Best sammich in town
4. DaVinci's - Worked there, some of my creations were deadly (for the heart)
5. Legends - Expensive, but delicious

cybear52

Dec 5, 2008
Ames
ive lived in Ames my entire life and in my opnion. these are the best (not in order)

Golden Wok
Wallaby's
Jimmy Johns
Hickory Park (not the food but for the Atmosphere,and the green river)
Hy-vee (friday night dirt cheap pizza, large $6)

MNCyGuy

Jan 14, 2009
Des Moines
ive lived in Ames my entire life and in my opnion. these are the best (not in order)

Golden Wok
Wallaby's
Jimmy Johns

Boo to Golden Wok, at least three times my freshman year I had to call the restaurant to ask where my order was because delivery took so long.

isukendall

Nov 30, 2006
Fort Collins, CO
1. Es Tas - Best. Tacos. Ever.
2. O'Malley's - Best overall mexican, incredible fajitas
3. West St Deli - Best sammich in town
4. DaVinci's - Worked there, some of my creations were deadly (for the heart)
5. Legends - Expensive, but delicious

Maybe this was an "in the past" post, but didn't O'Malley's close down after the floods last year?

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
I can't believe that place couldn't make it. It was by far my favorite burger place.

I have to agree with House of Chen and Great Plains. I also love lunch at Aunt Maudes.

We asked about it when they were closing. They were making money. The landlord decided he didn't want to rent to a restaurant anymore, or something strange like that.

It seems especially odd every time I drive by that empty lot.

RayShimley

Sep 9, 2008
White Bear Lake, MN

Golden Wok
Wallaby's
Jimmy Johns

Bleh! Golden Wok and Fortune House are/were TERRIBLE. That was one of the biggest disappointments during college in Ames; no decent Chinese delivery places. Had to rely on Pizza/Jimmy Johns when I was too lazy to leave the dorms/house.

MoreCowbell

Apr 23, 2009
We asked about it when they were closing. They were making money. The landlord decided he didn't want to rent to a restaurant anymore, or something strange like that.

Weird. There was (is?) another Ruttles in MN I think. We loved Ruttles. My family went there after almost every ISU wrestling meet when I was growing up.

ornryactor

Jun 3, 2006
Ames
Bleh! Golden Wok and Fortune House are/were TERRIBLE. That was one of the biggest disappointments during college in Ames; no decent Chinese delivery places. Had to rely on Pizza/Jimmy Johns when I was too lazy to leave the dorms/house.
That's pretty lazy, considering there's four Chinese places in a 1-block area in Campustown, without even counting Golden Wok (which I do NOT).

agcy68

Feb 9, 2007
Iowa
Love the Mayhouse. I am yet to have a better noodle bowl. For best asian food, I loved Sukotai but sadly it left after my freshman year. It has changed names about 12 times since then.

I never sweated so much after eating as I did after putting down half of an order of their Angry Pork.

EYEoftheSTORM

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 3, 2009
Ames, Iowa
ummm the choices are clearly....

1. McDonald's
2. Burger King
3. Wendy's
4. Taco John's
5. McDonald's in Wal-Mart

:jimlad:

Cyclonestate78

May 23, 2008

Aunt Maude's is the best. Cafe Northwest is a close second. If I ever had to eat at Dublin Bay again I would just kill myself instead.