Toppling Goliath taproom coming to DSM

laminak

Jun 13, 2010
Marion
Honest question as a non drinker - how many craft breweries, taprooms, etc can the metro support? Seems like there a million options at this point.

Aside from quality, if they have a niche they fill, will most likely be able to have support.

In the CR metro, which is about half the size of DM metro, there are six current microbreweries, where three have a restaurant, one is a restaurant/sports bar, one is a restaurant/barcade, and the other is a tasting room.

I'm aware of four closures in the last ten years, I've been to three of them and they weren't ones I'd miss.

Reactions: isutrevman and Jer

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
Thanks, that helps add context. I had never heard of Toppling Goliath so didn't know they were a national brand. My ignorance is showing:)
Here is a summary of their popularity

#1 They've been pretty much the king in the Midwest for a number of years. I remember 11+ years ago waiting outside the Urbandale Hy-Vee for the ability to buy one bomber(22oz) of their beer Psuedo Sue. The Urbandale Hy-Vee would usually get like 1 case (12) per wEek and it would be gone within minutes. Now you can find their 4 packs state wide at about every place that sells beer. Some places they even collect dust.

#2 They are in Decorah and the first time I went there their taproom was an old pizza hut but they had KILLER beer. They've since build a huge facility on the outside of Decorah. Really cool place.

#3 For a long time they were Iowa only. For awhile they contracted out to someone in Florida to brew their beer, which IMO was a complete disaster. I think this only lasted a couple of years. Since that time, their footprint has gotten rather large and people that get their beer in new states love it.

#4 They are known for two major things. IPA's and world class stouts. They hold lottery's for people to come and pay $200 for a couple of bottles of their stouts. People drive from all over the country to get these stouts and very few people actually get the privilege.

#5 Like other successful companies, after they have some success, people start to hate their success. Part of this may also have to do with the owner not being the most loved guy in the world. These people that hate them can usually be identified as saying something like "Why did you go to Decorah and visit Toppling when you could have spent the whole time at Pulpit Rock (Another excellent brewery with TG ties).

With all of that said, the craft beer business has changed a lot in recent years to become a lot more local. Places like Lua get more love, deservingly so, than the big whales like Toppling Goliath.

gocy444

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 15, 2008
Ames, IA
TG is good...if you like IPAs...

#1 They've been pretty much the king in the Midwest for a number of years. I remember 11+ years ago waiting outside the Urbandale Hy-Vee for the ability to buy one bomber(22oz) of their beer Psuedo Sue. The Urbandale Hy-Vee would usually get like 1 case (12) per wEek and it would be gone within minutes. Now you can find their 4 packs state wide at about every place that sells beer. Some places they even collect dust.

#2 They are in Decorah and the first time I went there their taproom was an old pizza hut but they had KILLER beer. They've since build a huge facility on the outside of Decorah. Really cool place.

#3 For a long time they were Iowa only. For awhile they contracted out to someone in Florida to brew their beer, which IMO was a complete disaster. I think this only lasted a couple of years. Since that time, their footprint has gotten rather large and people that get their beer in new states love it.

#4 They are known for two major things. IPA's and world class stouts. They hold lottery's for people to come and pay $200 for a couple of bottles of their stouts. People drive from all over the country to get these stouts and very few people actually get the privilege.

#5 Like other successful companies, after they have some success, people start to hate their success. Part of this may also have to do with the owner not being the most loved guy in the world. These people that hate them can usually be identified as saying something like "Why did you go to Decorah and visit Toppling when you could have spent the whole time at Pulpit Rock (Another excellent brewery with TG ties).

With all of that said, the craft beer business has changed a lot in recent years to become a lot more local. Places like Lua get more love, deservingly so, than the big whales like Toppling Goliath.
I love craft beer. TG is a top 10 brewery in the country, maybe top 5 imho.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site

That's at least 75% of it. He's a piece of ****.

I would never tell a beer tourist not to visit TG, but as a local I only go to the tap room 2-3 times a year. It's just not that fun of a venue, especially compared to the original (which is now a really good beer bar that I visit regularly). Just large and impersonal, and you don't have those random tap room conversations that can be a total blast.

The beer is still pretty good, and I drink it fairly regularly.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
I love craft beer. TG is a top 10 brewery in the country, maybe top 5 imho.
It's good. I haven't been as big into IPAs in recent years, and I feel like their other offerings (lagers, ales, etc) are fine except I can find a suitable alternative at a much better price point in most cases. Not a huge stout drinker, so perhaps I'm just missing out there. Not trying to crap all over TG, just saying I think they are a bit overrated (and overpriced) unless you're really into the IPA scene.

• Winner
Reactions: Candide

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
On a side note, they have some wonderful sours as well. I love their Fandango series. Their seltzers do suck and I'm not a fan of Dorthy.

If you think their IPA prices are bad, go visit Wall to Wall and check out some alternatives from places like Pulpit Rock, 450 North, phase three, Blackstack, etc. Pseudo Sue is usually $16 4 pack, King Sue $19. The ones listed above start at $20 and go north of $35.

gocy444

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 15, 2008
Ames, IA
It's good. I haven't been as big into IPAs in recent years, and I feel like their other offerings (lagers, ales, etc) are fine except I can find a suitable alternative at a much better price point in most cases. Not a huge stout drinker, so perhaps I'm just missing out there. Not trying to crap all over TG, just saying I think they are a bit overrated (and overpriced) unless you're really into the IPA scene.
I think their stouts are where they are “world class”. They are a bit much for me, but I’m addicted to King Sue.

Nor'easter

Sep 25, 2016

They're the only Iowa beer I've seen on the East coast in a regular liquor store. I've seen it in a craft beer bar in Tampa Bay as well. Pseudo Sue

ZRF

Jan 3, 2015
Thanks, that helps add context. I had never heard of Toppling Goliath so didn't know they were a national brand. My ignorance is showing:)

Not just national, a very highly rated national brand. I'd put them up their with the Stone's, Founder's , Bell's, Rogue's, etc of the world.

ZRF

Jan 3, 2015
I think their stouts are where they are “world class”. They are a bit much for me, but I’m addicted to King Sue.

I'm a big stout and porter guy and wish I had the ability to get (and justify the expense of) their good ones. As is, I prefer beers in the 7.5-10% range as I feel that's the sweet spot for flavor and not having the alcohol be abrasive.

baller21

Mar 15, 2009
-Big Grove
-SingleSpeed
-Toppling Goliath

How long before Pulpit Rock opens a Des Moines taproom?

Reactions: gocy444

baller21

Mar 15, 2009
I'm a big stout and porter guy and wish I had the ability to get (and justify the expense of) their good ones. As is, I prefer beers in the 7.5-10% range as I feel that's the sweet spot for flavor and not having the alcohol be abrasive.
The best flight I’ve ever had was at TG in Decorah. They’re all between 12-16% and are phenomenal Imperial Stouts.
IMG_4931.jpeg

nfrine

Mar 31, 2006
Nearby
Honest question as a non drinker - how many craft breweries, taprooms, etc can the metro support? Seems like there a million options at this point.

Remo Gaggi

Aug 28, 2018
Pretty nice to see something nice like TG going into Dogtown. I bounce between Lua and Big Grove, so having another taproom that serves food is huge in that neighborhood. Especially on game days, when Lucky Horse is packed. As for the old Jethro’s on Forest, that building should be bulldozed. It’s a crappy old former Pizza Hut that’s showing its age. With the new high school football stadium down the street, parents can drop their kids off and head into TG and drink a few Pseudo Sues until it’s time to pick them up. What could go wrong?

Reactions: isutrevman