Toppling Goliath taproom coming to DSM

huntt26

Apr 10, 2006
po' dUnk
That's at least 75% of it. He's a piece of ****.

I would never tell a beer tourist not to visit TG, but as a local I only go to the tap room 2-3 times a year. It's just not that fun of a venue, especially compared to the original (which is now a really good beer bar that I visit regularly). Just large and impersonal, and you don't have those random tap room conversations that can be a total blast.

The beer is still pretty good, and I drink it fairly regularly.
Agreed - their OG taproom was a nice "small town/everybody knows your name" vibe, vastly superior location and you could bring in much better/cheaper food. The new taproom is excellent for their big releases though.

isutrevman

Jan 30, 2007
Ames, IA
Lua was a cold start and has done well enough to be opening a 2nd location
Lua has amazing food which separates them from the other in my opinion. I think their food is far superior to Big Grove, for example. The smush burger there is the best burger in Des Moines. I don't know if they'd survive in their beer alone. They do have some good ones though.

Peace Tree is the one I've never been a big fan of. It's just IPAs.

Confluence has a huge variety and are constantly trying new ones while also having their seasonal beers they bring back every year. Just a huge selection in general.

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
Honest question as a non drinker - how many craft breweries, taprooms, etc can the metro support? Seems like there a million options at this point.
The answer is yes. There's a reason that Midwestern people aren't allowed to participate in drinking contests in South Florida.

ripvdub

Mar 20, 2006
Iowa
Why the Drake area? Cheap rent or tax abatement? There's a million more places with better foot traffic.

Remo Gaggi

Aug 28, 2018
Lua has amazing food which separates them from the other in my opinion. I think their food is far superior to Big Grove, for example. The smush burger there is the best burger in Des Moines. I don't know if they'd survive in their beer alone. They do have some good ones though.

Peace Tree is the one I've never been a big fan of. It's just IPAs.

Confluence has a huge variety and are constantly trying new ones while also having their seasonal beers they bring back every year. Just a huge selection in general.
Lua has good grub, I do however like the wings at Big Grove. It’s nice to go back and forth, then head up Ingersoll to Gusto Pizza, or over to Noah’s for that old school vibe.

Reactions: isutrevman

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
Stop stepping on my dreams Al. I contemplated coming up to get a bottle of 8 today but opted to chill at home and smoke some ribs instead. Some fresh Yard Yacht will be more suitable for the heat wave.
I mean, it would be cool, but knowing those guys it just doesn’t seem like a direction they’d want.

• Agree
Reactions: huntt26

baller21

Mar 15, 2009
I mean, it would be cool, but knowing those guys it just doesn’t seem like a direction they’d want.
I don’t blame them a bit for wanting to keep it small and local. At least they’ve been increasing distro to us central Iowa folks.

ISU4Life

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 15, 2008
As someone who lives in the Roosevelt neighborhood I can’t be more happy with what’s going on. Lua and Big Grove a short 5 minute drive or a round trip 4 mile walk and now TG being 3 mile round trip walk. Not to mention all the great restaurants and small businesses close by. I LOVE this area!

baller21

Mar 15, 2009
Assassin is the one I've heard about being incredibly hard to get.
Yeah for that and KBBS you have to put your name in a lottery to get a chance to buy a bottle. However the tap room is open to the public during pickup days so you can go sample them on draft until they run out. That pic was during the KBBS release and they had a bunch of really good stouts to try. They’re definitely not cheap though.

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
Yeah for that and KBBS you have to put your name in a lottery to get a chance to buy a bottle. However the tap room is open to the public during pickup days so you can go sample them on draft until they run out. That pic was during the KBBS release and they had a bunch of really good stouts to try. They’re definitely not cheap though.
I can only drink so much of a porter. Really heavy and typically sweet.

I did just have some of their collab hazey IPA they did with Radiant. Really nice balanced IPA.

dtISU

Nov 17, 2010
A suburb of Ames
I'm a huge stout and porter fan. I've had the opportunity a couple of times to try the Assassin. I would pay mucho dinero to be able to buy that on a regular basis. Nectar of the Gods.

Reactions: baller21

baller21

Mar 15, 2009
I can only drink so much of a porter. Really heavy and typically sweet.

I did just have some of their collab hazey IPA they did with Radiant. Really nice balanced IPA.
I haven’t tried the Radiant Haze but DDH King Sue is one of the best DIPA’s I’ve ever had.

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
I haven’t tried the Radiant Haze but DDH King Sue is one of the best DIPA’s I’ve ever had.
I find it too be a little too hoppy personally. This one was so balanced. Anything with Mosaic hops I love though. Idaho 7 is my favorite however.