Toppling Goliath

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
I really, really, really don't think that Mike is going to have anything to do with Pulpit Rock.

But Pulpit Rock should be a very solid brewery. Both Bob and Justin are former TG brewers, but the beer they're making isn't TG knock-offs at all. They're going to move away from exclusively making hop bombs, and have a more well-rounded line up. I've had some of their test batches and was really impressed. I've known Justin for a long time (ISU alum, actually), and he's a very good home brewer. As is Bob. Both are great guys too.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
I just saw on beer advocate that the head brewer at TG has left and they are looking for a replacement. I owuld have to think this would be a huge deal for such a small brewery.

From what I know, Clark (the owner) has been very hands on in the recipe creation process over the years, and used to brew himself. Not to say that Mike hasn't been huge for recipe development, but I think the product will continue to be very good. The biggest thing will be replacing the creativity for future recipe development, and I think with the reputation TG's developed, there will be a lot of guys out there interested in throwing their hat in that ring.

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
Just saw on twitter that TG will be canning by summer. Now that is some awesome news.

Cybyassociation

Mar 5, 2008
I'll chime in here since very few know who I am on BA as well so I'll remove a little bit of the filter. I'll be interested to see where this goes for sure. I've met Mike (the former TG brewer) quite a few times and he's an extremely nice, humble, down to earth guy. Clark (TG's owner), nice guy, but one heck of an ego. When you think about a lot of breweries of similar status and size to TG (Hill Farmstead, Treehouse, Carton, Prairie, Crooked Stave), these breweries have brewers who are owners. They get to decide what type of creativity goes into the beer, they have the freedom to make business decisions. I'm sure Mike had some input but I think Clark is king of the castle and gets to make all the decisions. Rightfully so, he's the owner,

As far as cans go, everything I've heard points to them contract brewing their beer to put it into cans.

cyclonesurveyor

Jan 26, 2009
Fort Collins, CO
I really, really, really don't think that Mike is going to have anything to do with Pulpit Rock.

But Pulpit Rock should be a very solid brewery. Both Bob and Justin are former TG brewers, but the beer they're making isn't TG knock-offs at all. They're going to move away from exclusively making hop bombs, and have a more well-rounded line up. I've had some of their test batches and was really impressed. I've known Justin for a long time (ISU alum, actually), and he's a very good home brewer. As is Bob. Both are great guys too.

I am excited for another brewery in Decorah, TG is always packed when I am able to get there.

Al, have you been to the Pulpit Rock building yet? Is it in the part of the building that used to be a distributor (AE milk maybe?), I remember that laundromat being a dump. I wonder how the dentist next door will like it?

Cybyassociation

Mar 5, 2008
Yeah, they're going crazy today. Do you anticipate you need to be there sometime today to get any of the SR-71? Any chance it makes it a couple days with the 2 bottle limit?
Sorry I missed this. It'll most likely run out today early. Pure speculation of course.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron