Tough day for EIU hoops hopes

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
If Iowa just shoots like that from 3 (they'll get similar open looks in conference including this weekend) they'll be unstoppable because anyone shooting at that clip is.

Conversely ISU has to be able to shoot better than that, right?

Right?
We watched enough last season that to know this will likely happen 1-2 more times this year BUT our defense will determine whether we lose by 20 or 10.

I think every single Cyclone fan would take 10-2 (knock on wood) before the break. Especially considering we lost our starting PG before the break and “supposedly” one of the top offensive guys still can’t play.

• Agree
Reactions: CycloneVet

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
I hate to call it an exhibition game because it's two P6 teams but I can't think of a home-home series mattering in March for either one.
It’s bragging rights and that’s about it. It doesn’t even hurt recruiting because we don’t go after the same type of players.

Reactions: CycloneVet

TClone99

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 12, 2006
This sequence was crazy. Talking smack down 25 and then hitting the top of the backboard.

You consider that “talking smack”? The kid is struggling and thought that make may have snapped him out of it a bit. Has Connor ever not whined to an official after he’s been called for a foul?

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Dude looks like he could average a double double this year. That's pretty solid.
He’s as good as the amount of effort he puts in. He also made what, three 3’s last night? Yeah I mean the hoop was the ocean for everyone in a black jersey lol. He played the best game of his career last night and credit to him for it because he also made our bigs look like ****.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
You consider that “talking smack”? The kid is struggling and thought that make may have snapped him out of it a bit. Has Connor ever not whined to an official after he’s been called for a foul?
Believe it was right in the middle of smack / pumping himself up. Either way it didn’t help him a lick. He is who he is at this point. I knew when he missed his first two shots that he was going to be ice cold. That’s how poor of a shooter he is.

• Agree
Reactions: JP4CY

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Connor and Fran have questioned the integrity of the game officials. Think about that.

TClone99

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 12, 2006
Believe it was right in the middle of smack / pumping himself up. Either way it didn’t help him a lick. He is who he is at this point. I knew when he missed his first two shots that he was going to be ice cold. That’s how poor of a shooter he is.
It’s the whole team too. When they are shooting poorly early it just never seems to get better. Not sure I’ve ever seen anything quite like it.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011

I saw him melting down a bit last night.

iahawks

Sep 7, 2012
You are right, smack was probably a little strong. Still a crazy sequence to get the exact same shot two possessions in a row and one is nothing but net and the next hits the top of the backboard. Have never seen that before.

Reactions: TClone99

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
We watched enough last season that to know this will likely happen 1-2 more times this year BUT our defense will determine whether we lose by 20 or 10.

I think every single Cyclone fan would take 10-2 (knock on wood) before the break. Especially considering we lost our starting PG before the break and “supposedly” one of the top offensive guys still can’t play.

If the defensive lapses are there again Sunday, I hate to use the word 'concerned' but that's a problem going forward.

iahawks

Sep 7, 2012
What would you as a fan rather have in this rivalry in a given year?

1) Football win

or

2) Mens Bball, Womens Bball and Wrestling wins

I honestly don't know because football holds that much weight to me. Maybe it is because a loss in football means so much more because there are only 12 games.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
You are right, smack was probably a little strong. Still a crazy sequence to get the exact same shot two possessions in a row and one is nothing but net and the next hits the top of the backboard. Have never seen that before.

He's definitely heady but on the other hand several players are gun shy from 3 right now.

His other parts of the game aren't sharp and I wonder if his hip is an issue.

Re: smack talk, I thought Jones's flex soon after following a putback was way worse looking.

Rural

Feb 3, 2010

1) Football win

or

I honestly don't know because football holds that much weight to me. Maybe it is because a loss in football means so much more because there are only 12 games.
Lots and lots of people DGAF about two of those items.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011

1) Football win

or

Football for sure but only because it counts toward a bowl.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
Basketball is such a different sport than most. It is a make or miss game and each game can be so much different. That is what makes the tournament so much fun and frustrating.

Just look at college hoops this year, the parity is insane. There isn't a team that doesn't look beatable.

Last edited:

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
I said this last night.. how the hell do you do that on the same shot? And how has that happened 10 times the last two years? He is without a doubt the most mental shooter I’ve ever seen, meaning if his mind is right he’s great and if his mind is anything other than right he’s horrible.

Didn't he proceed to fire one of the side of the backboard a couple possessions later?

iahawks

Sep 7, 2012
Lots and lots of people DGAF about two of those items.
They are still very important in this state. Look at attendance for wresting meets and women's basketball. Also, look at game threads on both boards for this year's competitions.

Reactions: Statefan10