Tough day for EIU hoops hopes

ClonesTwenty1

May 23, 2018
I'm always happy when Iowa loses, but the fact that we are undoubtedly watching the beginning of the end of the Mad Fran Era is kind of depressing.
I really don’t want Devries to go there, but Iowa will back the truck up with money for him. He won’t turn it down.

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
Got to feel for his coaching staff. Every call that goes against Iowa they have to be able to jump up and be ready to restrain him.

I personally love watching the embarrassment of the people in the crowd behind the bench. They are looking at him, but not directly at him. And of course, Fran has an assistant coach as his official "hold me back" guy, never out of reach, in case he actually loses it and bull rushes a ref.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
After the pitiful showing in Orlando I think anyone could have cause for concern. Hopefully that version of ISU stayed in Orlando.

I'm holding onto the idea that the staff knew it would be tough and really needed to see the team against some tougher situations to implement a response especially on offense.
It's just too bad they couldn't hold to 2-1 even with being so clunky.

• Agree
Reactions: CycloneRulzzz

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
No team in history of college basketball can take a 20 point blowout to a 10 point loss in the final minutes like Iowa. That's a strong reason Beth should consider a lifetime contract for Fran.

Yup.

Regardless of how they've played the rest of the game, they are playing hard at the end.

That's coaching.

Reactions: exCYtable

CycloneRulzzz

Gameday Guru
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 13, 2008
Nevada, IA
I'm holding onto the idea that the staff knew it would be tough and really needed to see the team against some tougher situations to implement a response especially on offense.
It's just too bad they couldn't hold to 2-1 even with being so clunky.

To me the disappointment wasn't so much our offense down there but our defense. If we play TJ style D down there we are easily 2-1 at worst.

Mick Mars

Mar 19, 2017
Yeah, we want them to be bad, but not so bad they actually move on from him.
I agree- Fran has been the gift that keeps on giving for almost 14 years now BUT…if this truly is the end, might as well have it be a huge train wreck for entertainment purposes!

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
I wonder if that's a stat that could be found. Most career ejections....

I figured Huggy made the top ten at least.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
I'm always happy when Iowa loses, but the fact that we are undoubtedly watching the beginning of the end of the Mad Fran Era is kind of depressing.

I'm terrified DeVries would be awesome there. I was hoping that Mad Fran would hold on long enough for McDermott to retire at Creighton so DeVries could go back to Omaha.

I assume Tucker goes with him, too, which gives them an immediate boost.

I can't see how anyone would want to play for that clown, but I hope he never leaves.

Lifelong Hawkeye fans from eastern Iowa (and one or two doofuses from NW Iowa)
Legacy recruits
Some underrecruited guys (mostly Garza and the Murray twins) you have to give him credit for
His literal offspring

= Just enough to make the tournament on occasion but no more.