"Trash Day" Lunches

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
I'll start by saying that I hate throwing food away. Drives me nuts. As a result, I end up with some very interesting combinations for lunch when trash day rolls around. Today's menu is 3 pieces of sushi from last night, a Hawaiin roll sandwich with a bite out of it that my daughter apparently didn't finish, the last few bites of applesauce that had been in the fridge for a questionable amount of time but not yet expired, some grapes and a slice of bacon (I'm not sure how we had one slice of bacon in a baggie in the fridge honestly).

I credit early mornings at Iowa State for conditioning my stomach to handle such events.

Are there any other garbage disposals out there?

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
Hell yeah. I’ve done self calculations and I figured I save several hundred bucks a year.

Reactions: LindenCy

dosry5

Nov 28, 2006
Johnston
I'll start by saying that I hate throwing food away. Drives me nuts. As a result, I end up with some very interesting combinations for lunch when trash day rolls around. Today's menu is 3 pieces of sushi from last night, a Hawaiin roll sandwich with a bite out of it that my daughter apparently didn't finish, the last few bites of applesauce that had been in the fridge for a questionable amount of time but not yet expired, some grapes and a slice of bacon (I'm not sure how we had one slice of bacon in a baggie in the fridge honestly).

I credit early mornings at Iowa State for conditioning my stomach to handle such events.

Are there any other garbage disposals out there?
I bet you wear cargo shorts

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Hell yeah. I’ve done self calculations and I figured I save several hundred bucks a year.

In order to avoid leftovers, I used to clean the plates and serving dishes after meals. Now, I don't, so I save money on lunches the next day and avoid extra pounds.

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
Maybe it's because I've never had kids or maybe it's OCD but I could never eat food that another mouth has touched. I'm fine with sharing something like popcorn but the thought of people sharing food grosses me out.

agcy68

Feb 9, 2007
Iowa
I am definitely a leftovers guy. I don't usually take partial servings- too cumbersome. However, we end up with a leftovers night once in a while that gets a little interesting with the combinations.

BTW, my wife can tell how good supper was by how quickly I pack up the leftovers for tomorrow's lunch.

urb1

Jan 23, 2010
Urbandale
My wife and I both eat leftovers although she gets more picky after a few days. I'll eat some food off of my grandkids' plates, but won't save food that was on a plate and wasn't eaten (besides my own).

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
Maybe it's because I've never had kids or maybe it's OCD but I could never eat food that another mouth has touched. I'm fine with sharing something like popcorn but the thought of people sharing food grosses me out.

Having a kid definitely puts perspective on things like that. When you're laying flat on your back giving your kid the superman ride on your knees and they either puke or drool on your face, you realize that a little nibble off a sandwich isn't too big of a deal.

CloniesForLife

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2015
Since I don't have kids I meal plan and never really have leftovers. But I definitely hate wasting food and when I used to have roommates it bugged me to no end how much food they would throw away.

PineClone

Jul 16, 2008
I do the same thing with leftovers. The lunch i pack for work is often bits of this-and-that that i find in the fridge. This includes salad that has started to get slimy...which tastes fine if you put enough dressing and cheese on it.

At dinner i often tell my wife not to cook for me. I end up eating what is left in the pan and on the kids' plates when we clean up.

4theCYcle

Jul 14, 2013
Urbandale, IA
I'm all about leftovers. Sure saves money by not having to go buy lunch everyday at work. I know some that eat out almost everyday, that would get expensive. I can always tell when our fridge is getting low on food by weeks end or every other week after we go to the store. We try to scrounge anything we can to go a few more days before going back to the store. Not sure I take it to your level, so I applaud you for that.

FOREVERTRUE

Sep 18, 2017
We meal plan for the week in order to actually have enough leftovers each night for me to have for lunch the next day. The few times that we have a meal that we know won't reheat well or won't have leftovers we buy extra lunch meat or something simple for me to have at work. I don't even remember the last time I had to go out for lunch.

Chitowncy

SuperFanatic
Jan 14, 2009
Ames

I think it's the former. I know it's cliche and everyone says it, but kids do change everything. It's hard to imagine life without them or remember the ease of life before them.

As to the OP, I am the designated trash man in my family. You are not alone and I applaud your efforts. I am also dad. Why, just today I "enjoyed" some left over salad from the night before (the edge of sogginess, but not quite inedible yet), a half drunk bottle of ice tea (my wife was the culprit) and some smelly tilapia from two days before. If we had a worst lunch contest for today, I think I might win.

• Winner
Reactions: coolerifyoudid

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
I usually don't have leftovers. If I do I eat them later that night or the next day. If they are leftover more than 1 day I throw it away.

• Agree
Reactions: 3TrueFans

CtownCyclone

Really Strong Cardinals
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 20, 2010
Where they love the governor
I'm only OK with leftovers. After a meal, I'll get everything packaged up in the fridge so they'll be ready to grab on the way out the door the next day, but my wife often miscalculates how much food to make or how much we'll have for leftovers, so we end up with some really old stuff in there.

On the flip side, my parents are down here visiting us and I found my dad eating a ham sandwich using ham that was 6 weeks past the date.

• Funny

BuffettClone

Jul 7, 2012
I've gotten to the point where I don't order anything or just a value sandwich for myself from fast food places and just eat the stuff my kids don't finish. Sometimes it makes for some interesting meals

• Winner

Help Support Us

Become a patron