"Trash Day" Lunches

LarryISU

Feb 10, 2013
Omaha
The rule in our family is we try never to throw out meat. If some animal has been slaughtered for my nourishment and/or pleasure, I don't think it's right to waste that meat by throwing it in the garbage. That probably goes back to growing up on a farm where I saw our animals being hauled off to market. Some of those animals, especially pigs, you can kind of develop an attachment to them when they are born right there before your eyes.

• Agree
Reactions: Colorado

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
I constantly eat leftovers but I have some self imposed rules when it comes to the fridge. The date on the milk is when I stop drinking it, I know this is wasteful but it's what I do. Any type of meat leftover has to be eaten in 3 days. I don't know where I got this number but it's what I use.

My wife also has some weird eating/shopping habits. She just continues to buy the same shredded cheese over and over even if we have 5 packages of it in the fridge. She also doesn't like to re-use BBQ sauce. I think it's something about it being cold.

Dandy

Future CF Mod
Oct 11, 2012
Western Iowa
I'll start by saying that I hate throwing food away. Drives me nuts. As a result, I end up with some very interesting combinations for lunch when trash day rolls around. Today's menu is 3 pieces of sushi from last night, a Hawaiin roll sandwich with a bite out of it that my daughter apparently didn't finish, the last few bites of applesauce that had been in the fridge for a questionable amount of time but not yet expired, some grapes and a slice of bacon (I'm not sure how we had one slice of bacon in a baggie in the fridge honestly).

I credit early mornings at Iowa State for conditioning my stomach to handle such events.

Are there any other garbage disposals out there?
Your favorite kicks this time of year:
505926.jpg

Reactions: heitclone

Colorado

Aug 29, 2008
Colorado
I'm big on leftovers. I combined two meals into today's lunch. I was was a little pissed this morning when I went to actually make a sandwich. There was one slice of turkey left. One. Slice. I live with heathens.

• Agree
Reactions: ImJustKCClone

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
I also haven't bought lunch on a work day for months. Probably no more than 10 times in the last 10 years. Everyone else in my family will eat some leftovers, but I am the king of leftovers. I would prefer to eat leftovers rather than bringing a lame sandwich I made. I sometimes get upset with the Mrs. when she throws away things like homemade cookies because they are a few days old because she only likes them warm out of the oven. You don't have to eat them, just don't throw them away!

• Agree
Reactions: coolerifyoudid

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
I'll throw stuff away here and there, but it drives me crazy when it's produce because that **** is crazy expensive. So a lot of times for dinner I'll end up making a protein and veggie bowl with some kind of dressing or sauce to tie it all together.

• Agree
Reactions: clonechemist

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
I sometimes get upset with the Mrs. when she throws away things like homemade cookies because they are a few days old because she only likes them warm out of the oven.

That is the most insane thing I have ever heard. Grounds for divorce in 47 states.

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
Maybe it's because I've never had kids or maybe it's OCD but I could never eat food that another mouth has touched. I'm fine with sharing something like popcorn but the thought of people sharing food grosses me out.

What about kissing? Or sex? You're gonna have to make some choices at some point.

Or maybe not.

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
I take leftovers every day for lunch. Once in a blue moon I'll go out. Same with my wife

I'd like to think it saves thousands of dollars a year for my wife and I.

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
Leftovers are great. A lot of pizza is better cold than it was hot.

For whatever reason, when we make pasta or chili, I am more excited about eating it the next day than the day of. I'll purposely take smaller portions the day its made in order to have more to take to work the next few days.

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
We used to take leftovers for our lunches. Now we have "scrounge suppers", where we take all the leftovers out of the fridge and mix & match for supper. Two bites of this, one slice of that, a little bit of something else...it can get pretty entertaining.

Reactions: LindenCy

dawgpound

Retired Billy the Barnstormer
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2011
Des Moines, iowa
For whatever reason, when we make pasta or chili, I am more excited about eating it the next day than the day of. I'll purposely take smaller portions the day its made in order to have more to take to work the next few days.

These are two of the best things on the planet as leftovers!

• Agree
Reactions: heitclone