Treatment for smashed finger/toe

Erik4Cy

Jan 22, 2007
Johnston, IA
www.cyclones.com
Sooo...smashed the crap outta my finger today and was looking at treatments online and I'm currently doing the injury standard: 20 mins on ice, 20 mins off. but my fingernail is all pooled with blood and definitely swelling going on. Some people have some borderline nasty but apparently effective videos of them heating up pins or sharp object and then burn through the nail to make a hole for the blood to run out and relieve pressure. Just debating whether to go to doc to have done professionally, do it myself, or just leave it alone and continue with cold/off. Any suggestions or how dealt with in the past?

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
I just took an athletic training class and discovered that if there is ever blood accumulating under the fingernail, you should definitely go to the doctor.

Sousaclone

Apr 29, 2006
North of Seattle
As an alternative to the shoving a hot pin through your fingernail, a lot of the ironworkers I work with will use a brand new 1/16" drill bit and slowly drill by hand through their nail.

Or you could seek professional medical advice.

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
I smashed up my big toe and had a nice cut under the nail. Cut healed, the nail grew out to the point that I could cut the rotten thing off. I never had any troubles walking, running, or anything else.

Weed and time will heal all wounds.

Reactions: kilgore_trout

farcyted

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
The sooner you put the pin through the nail, the better you are going to be. You have to relieve the pressure to eliminate the pain.

Bobber

Apr 12, 2006
Hudson, Iowa
The sooner you put the pin through the nail, the better you are going to be. You have to relieve the pressure to eliminate the pain.

Amen. Like the drill bit idea(would swab with a lot of alcohol). The hot pin works, but that first second or two is painful.

Hawkeye11en1

Apr 22, 2011
Colorado
I'm not sure if someone has mentioned this, but if you can feel the pain you are NOT drinking enough. Sir, please drink more. Thank you.

NebrClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
As an alternative to the shoving a hot pin through your fingernail, a lot of the ironworkers I work with will use a brand new 1/16" drill bit and slowly drill by hand through their nail.

Or you could seek professional medical advice.

I have done this several times, not saying it was the smart thing to do. But it sure feels good once you relieve the pressure.

madcityCY

Nov 29, 2006
Madison, WI
I've seen in more than one western, cowboys carve a groove in the back end of an arrow (in which the arrowhead went through) dump a little gunpowder in the groove, light it, and have your buddy quickly pull the arrow the rest of the way through to cauterize both sides of the wound. Of course you'll want to drink the remainder of the whiskey you have in your saddlebag, and bite a stick or piece of leather to help with the pain.

Oh you weren't shot with an arrow? Nm...

clone319

Nov 27, 2010
First time i ever smashed my finger i did the hot needle through nail...really wasn't too bad as long as you didn't push hard and go through and deep into your finger. It sounds like the drill bit idea would be good too.

simply1

Rec Center HOF
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2009
Pdx
I'd go to the doctor, I had a similar thing and when I went to the doc, an x-ray showed a hairline fracture, which led him to not drain the blood. Finger nail fell off several weeks later.