Tuesday OT: a business from your childhood that is extinct

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
As long as we're talking food places... Ole's Ham & Egger on the square in Marion. Place was legend.

houjix

Jul 21, 2021
11 pages in and nobody has mentioned Coast to Coast.

View attachment 107428
Got absorbed into True Value I believe. Ours in Clarinda became a Hardware Hank, then a Dollar General, and eventually that closed. Oddly enough, our Ben Franklins became a True Value and even though it's been that was for a long time, my parents will still refer to it as Ben Franklins.

Reactions: BillBrasky4Cy

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
Farleys Family Fun in southside Des Moines. Remember going there as a kid and there was an arcade, mini golf, etc. I'm sure the place was an absolute dump but as I remember as a kid it was awesome.

cysdaone

Mar 18, 2015
Des Moines Area
Paul Revere’s Pizza in the Drake neighborhood
Ground Round on Merle Hay
The Rookie (sports cards)
Dave’s Ball Cards
Hollywood Video
Lazer X
Merle Hay Lanes (with the excessive indoor smoking)
Lazer X was so fun. Nothing ever went into that space at Merle Hay Mall. You can still see the high tech decor on the walls by looking through the window, and I swear you can still smell the fog machine...

houjix

Jul 21, 2021
Farleys Family Fun in southside Des Moines. Remember going there as a kid and there was an arcade, mini golf, etc. I'm sure the place was an absolute dump but as I remember as a kid it was awesome.
Omaha had one of those that my family went to a couple of times.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Was Farleys in Valley Junction? I think I played laser tag there.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Running joke in our family growing up was when we were younger kids and driving up to Manchester, IA, and heading into town we saw the Pamida store and my older brother said "oh look, PAM-i-da" pronouncing it completely wrong, since it was pronounced "puh-MY-da". Random memory, but fun.

My hometown. Trying to think why anyone would drive to Manchester unless to visit relatives. :rolleyes:

And don't remember that store. Must have been after I ran off to college. Now there's just the big Wally Mart.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
Luv ya blue!
The 32 point comeback by the Bills in the 93 playoffs ripped my heart out. When the Bills relocated to Tennessee I went all in on the Vikes so it was pretty special watching the Vikes rewrite that record with my son.

Help Support Us

Become a patron