Tune into ABC 5 tonight at 10

goldmember

May 31, 2006
Unlike IowaSt and Iowa, Kansas and K ST are almost tied at the hip. After reading several articles, if you can believe them, I think you get both or neither.
By Tuesday GG and JP will have a good idea where we will go depending what the Horns say.

KU and K-State are not a package...KU will bolt if it makes sense.

CyPride

Oct 12, 2008
I don't think you realize how far away San Diego is from Iowa.

OK, Ok, maybe both conferences will challenge for travel.

but do you think either conference is going to want to put their volleyball team on a plane to Lawrence? To Ames? San Diego to Ames for gymnastics? I don't care how many million the big east says each school is guaranteed - the expenses overshadow the revenue unless we cut more sport teams.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
OK, Ok, maybe both conferences will challenge for travel.

but do you think either conference is going to want to put their volleyball team on a plane to Lawrence? To Ames? San Diego to Ames for gymnastics? I don't care how many million the big east says each school is guaranteed - the expenses overshadow the revenue unless we cut more sport teams.

You think it is going to cost us 7 million more for travel there then it did in the Big 12? think about this for one second. Our division would likely consist of the 4 current schools left in the B12 plus Cincinatti and Louisville for football. Basket ball would be a long ways, sure, but it's not like the Texas schools were close. Travel should be about the last thing considered when deciding what conference to join. If we are actually looking at that a are serious factor we will end up in the MAC.

HandSanitizer

Apr 19, 2006
Bondurant, IA
The travel expense to the Mt. West would be close to the Big East travel expense.
The Big East is thinking 12-15 million in TV revenue per school. What can the Mt West generate?

This is per ESPN.
2009 College Sports TV Revenue by Conference

Big Ten: $242 - NEW Network and Contracts
SEC: $205 - NEW Contract
Big 12: $78
ACC: $67 (Update 2010: new deal worth $155 million per year, 12 years)
Pac 10: $58
Big East: $33 (this deal runs through (2013-2014). Teams that play football and basketball make about 3 Million per school.

I think the MWC gets about 1-3 Million per school.
I know Boise State has to forfiet 1 year of WAC revenue which they estimate 1-1.5 Million.

Are you kidding me with this? So from my reading the MWC conference would be lucky to get 5 Million per school when this is all said and done.

And don't even get me started on the BigEast. I would love to be in that league, but I can't understand why their revenue stream is so bad. Under 3 Mill per school and their TV deal runs until 2013-2014. So how does the Big East get to 12-15 Mil per year per school?????

So I guess what I am trying to say is that we are going to have to make serious cuts. We were going to completey redo our B12 contract to get teams 15 Mil + per school which would have doubled our revenue instead we are going to decrease it be 50%. No matter where we go.

My only hope is we get into the big east and they get creative without getting more teams poached.

Last edited:

CyPride

Oct 12, 2008
This is per ESPN.

Big East: $33 (this deal runs through (2013-2014). Teams that play football and basketball make about 3 Million per school.

I know Boise State has to forfiet 1 year of WAC revenue which they estimate 1-1.5 Million.

Are you kidding me with this? So from my reading the MWC conference would be lucky to get 5 Million per school when this is all said and done.

And don't even get me started on the BigEast. I would love to be in that league, but I can't understand why their revenue stream is so bad. Under 3 Mill per school and their TV deal runs until 2013-2014. So how does the Big East get to 12-15 Mil per year per school?????

So I guess what I am trying to say is that we are going to have to make serious cuts. We were going to completey redo our B12 contract to get teams 15 Mil + per school which would have doubled our revenue instead we are going to decrease it be 50%. No matter where we go.

My only hope is we get into the big east and they get creative without getting more teams poached.

that is exactly right, and what i've been attempting to say.

Big East programs don't want teams this far west, that i can assure you. further dilutes what they already receive, and we don't add to the revenue to offset the increased expenses. If we go big east, look for further athletic program cuts.

further more, there is a story on espn.com right now that says the mountain west is eyeing kansas and Missouri. no mention of any other schools.

cycfan1

Nov 27, 2006
Ames

Big East programs don't want teams this far west, that i can assure you. further dilutes what they already receive, and we don't add to the revenue to offset the increased expenses. If we go big east, look for further athletic program cuts.

further more, there is a story on espn.com right now that says the mountain west is eyeing kansas and Missouri. no mention of any other schools.

Look at the travel distances between most conferences. We are not too far west to be in the Big East.

Also, we would not dilute the revenue of the Big East. Adding four football teams would be huge for the conference and allow them to add a title game. Or they could sit on their hands and lose their BCS berth and whatever payout that is. The Big East is probably the one conference that we would not dilute.

My opinion: Whoever wins the bidding war for ISU, KU, Kstate, and Missouri between the Big East and MWC will have a BCS berth and the other will not.

cycfan1

Nov 27, 2006
Ames

Look at the travel distances between most conferences. We are not too far west to be in the Big East.

Also, we would not dilute the revenue of the Big East. Adding four football teams would be huge for the conference and allow them to add a title game. Or they could sit on their hands and lose their BCS berth and whatever payout that is. The Big East is probably the one conference that we would not dilute.

My opinion: Whoever wins the bidding war for ISU, KU, Kstate, and Missouri between the Big East and MWC will have a BCS berth and the other will not.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville

With a contact that small I would think the buyout would also be reasonably small. I think that contract could be reworked in the even that the Big East adds 4-5 teams. I would think the same for the MWC.

AllIowaTeams

Jun 10, 2010
Grimes

It actually mentions Kansas, Missouri, AND Kansas State. There was a poster earlier in this thread who said Kansas and KSU are not joined at the hip, and that Kansas can do whatever they want. That is dead wrong. I can guarantee with zero doubt that both schools will end up in the same conference when this is all said and done.

The Mook

Jun 26, 2008
Ankeny, IA
www.twitter.com
It actually mentions Kansas, Missouri, AND Kansas State. There was a poster earlier in this thread who said Kansas and KSU are not joined at the hip, and that Kansas can do whatever they want. That is dead wrong. I can guarantee with zero doubt that both schools will end up in the same conference when this is all said and done.

I'm glad you know more than people in Kansas and KC that are saying the opposite. :confused:

ksusf

Jun 11, 2010
This is per ESPN.

The Big East contract was signed around the last set of expansions. The Big East had absolutely no leverage back then to demand anything. We basically took what ESPN gave us. Our contract will be better the next time around, regardless if expansion occurs or not because we've shown to be worth more to ESPN than our current contract. We've done everything they've asked as far as Thursday and Friday night games are concerned and have outperformed their expectations.

Expansion had been very scary for the Big East up until the Tagliabue hire and now the possible Big 12 collapse. We assumed we would lose more teams, insert more CUSA teams and then start from scratch and have to earn a new contract again. Tagliabue and Marianatto have openly stated that they are looking into a network.

$12-15 million must just be an estimate that Jim Williams got from an official in the Big East offices, on what each team could possibly make, should we go to the 20/12 hybrid with the Big 12 schools with a network.