Tune into ABC 5 tonight at 10

vmbplayer

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 6, 2008
Ankeny
Wow, GG basically says the Big 12 will continue or not based on the decision of TX. We knew that already, but I'm kinda surprised he pinned it directly on them like that.

cayin

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Sally Mason voted on a measure that will increase the budget of her school's athletic department. For her to do otherwise would have been stupid. It may have been courteous, given the fact that everyone already knew they would have the necessary votes, but not sincere. I'd have been more upset if the BoR forced her to vote against the best interests of her school.

It was mentioned that he thought we would come out okay in a couple of months. The problem is, and it is not anyones from ISU's fault,....WE DON'T HAVE A COUPLE MONTHS!!!! PR is has to recruit though all of this. This is critical.

goldmember

May 31, 2006
This is what I kind of feared would happen...

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/spt/st ories/061210dnospoaggieswavering.931134ce.html

From Staff and Wire Reports
Texas A&M's wavering on joining the pac-10 with texas, texas tech, oklahoma and oklahoma state could open the door for other schools such as baylor, utah and kansas.
A highly placed official from a big 12 school told the austin american-statesman that "a&m is sitting on the fence."
Baylor, which seemed to be looking on the outside after Colorado accepted the Pac-10's invitation to join this week, might be back in. It all depends on A&M, the official told the Statesman.
''If A&M doesn't go, Baylor's got a window to go," the official said. "(Texas, Texas A&M and Texas Tech) -- none of them have anything against Baylor. We're not opposed to Baylor, and we've said positive things about them."
But, the official continued, "The schools on the West Coast just don't see the benefit of Baylor. The Pac-10 is talking more about Kansas and Utah because they bring different (television) markets. Baylor's been lobbying everybody around Texas. They need to be lobbying California."

mr89ia

Mar 9, 2010
Madison,WI
Good guys finish last?

I hope is that and more.

they and thats why i think we are gonna left in the dust. we are a good, clean program in the heartland. we dont win much but every once in awhile pull it together. we dont bring a whole lot to the table that outshines whats in the market. i love the cyclones, but im worried that we are just the "good guys" :sad:

RhoadsRage

I AM SO PROUD....
Bookie
Jan 25, 2010
McGregor
What did C-Willy say?

Basically, that the Big East having us,KSU,KU, and Mizz join would be a good thing for their football side of their conference since they just had Va Tech, Miami, etc......just leave their conference a couple years ago......that way maybe the ACC gets pillaged instead of the Big East losing all their teams.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
Basically, that the Big East having us,KSU,KU, and Mizz join would be a good thing for their football side of their conference since they just had Va Tech, Miami, etc......just leave their conference a couple years ago......that way maybe the ACC gets pillaged instead of the Big East losing all their teams.

This is why I think things may happen extremely quickly. Once CU started the dominos falling, there will be the quick, and there will be the dead. Every conference that is threatened in any way needs to act fast to secure it's position.

ChrisMWilliams

Publisher
Staff member
Bookie
Apr 10, 2006
Bondurant, Iowa
www.CycloneFanatic.com

For the record, we were talking hypothetically. I didn't say that I actually think this will happen.

I have no idea what is going to happen. No idea whatsoever. :confused:

swarthmoreCY

Aug 9, 2008
Here nor there
So if the shoe was on the other foot would your President have pushed for Iowa to be included in the Big 12? I doubt it. He would have done exactly the same as Preident Mason: voted to protect his school.

You doubt wrong...
If the shoe was on the other foot, the BoR would want ISU to cast just as many votes for Iowa joining the CIC as they did for Minn or ILL.
What did she (BoR) protect her school from? Did she think it was going to be a close vote? Is Iowa worried that in today's realignment culture they lack what conferences are looking for? If so, then yes, she needed to protect her school.

Additionally, my qualms are actually with the BoR, whose mission is not to protect the best interests of one school over the interest of the entire state. More money would come into the state with both ISU and Iowa in the Big 10. Yes I know the vote was note for ISU- think of it as an opportunity cost. At the very least it could be thought of as symbolic support, given the aforementioned lack of cost/threat to Iowa.

Last edited:

scyclonekid

Feb 13, 2008
Well to me it sounds like the two going to bat for us do not know what is going on either which sucks. Iowa State is up **** creek without a paddle!!

CyPride

Oct 12, 2008
ISU to the Big East ain't happening. Revenues don't justify expense. Mt. West most logical and best case scenario. Now, back to the booze.

swarthmoreCY

Aug 9, 2008
Here nor there
ISU to the Big East ain't happening. Revenues don't justify expense. Mt. West most logical and best case scenario. Now, back to the booze.
The travel expense to the Mt. West would be close to the Big East travel expense.
The Big East is thinking 12-15 million in TV revenue per school. What can the Mt West generate?

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
So if the shoe was on the other foot would your President have pushed for Iowa to be included in the Big 12? I doubt it. He would have done exactly the same as Preident Mason: voted to protect his school.

Wouldn't have been allowed to. No way. DO you guys want into the Big 12? We have spots open.

goldmember

May 31, 2006
Which conference will be easier to sell recruits on? Answer, the Big East. If we join the Mountain West, recruiting will be a nightmare.

R1975P

Aug 17, 2009
Irvington
Unlike IowaSt and Iowa, Kansas and K ST are almost tied at the hip. After reading several articles, if you can believe them, I think you get both or neither.
By Tuesday GG and JP will have a good idea where we will go depending what the Horns say.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron